U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 05:17 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,499,360 times

Advertisements

I have no clue why, I haven't installed or uninstalled anything in recent history that I can recall. When I try to access IE8, Outlook, etc., I get the following error message:

The ordinal 410 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll

I do not speak computer at all, but from what I can tell this is some .exe file that's gone missing (?) and the only solution would be to reinstall ... ummm, whatever it said to reinstall.

This is generally not an issue for me except that I can no longer use any of the HELP menus or any of the wizards. I'm Excel ignorant, trying to learn, but surely could use that search box on the HELP. Also, I run AVG as my virus protection - there apparently is some file associated with an update from them that cannot completely install because of this whatever-I-have-going-on, so from time to time I will get a message saying it wants to install the AVG toolbar, which I don't want anyway - when I click cancel it simply goes away but returns a few moments later in the middle of the screen, and sometimes there will be multiples of that message if I haven't used the computer for a while and it has gone into screensaver mode. I tried going ahead and running the file and also tried saving the file just to make all of this STOP. No luck.

Any suggestions? I'm too terrified of a computer explosion to reinstall anything on my own...also, what would happen to my files if a reinstall is necessary? I have a brand new computer with Windows 7 sitting right next to me and intended to transfer all my old files to an external hard drive for future access, but if they aren't going to work....well, that seems a bit stupid. Or not.

Yes, I do not speak computer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 AM

4,244 posts, read 12,771,777 times
Someone who 'speaks computer' will chime in shortly I am sure (and I am not one of them unfortunately). However, I typed your error message verbatim into google and found you're not alone -- others (many others) have had the same error, but it seems it's almost impossible to pinpoint the cause because there are many reasons why it could have happened.

You don't have a missing .exe file -- what you have is a corrupted .dll file, urlmon.dll to be exact. In simple terms, a .dll is a small program or subroutine that sits in your computer (along with many others) and it waits to be called upon by a bigger program such as iexplore.exe to perform some kind of task. urlmon.dll is also called upon by other Microsoft products and I'll guess Excel Help needs it to run.

Question: can you access the internet with the "sick" computer? I'm guessing yes since it appears you posted here using it and not the new Win7 computer. If you're up to it, it's possible to download a fresh copy of urlmon.dll and place it in the proper windows folder. The steps are very easy.

However, understand that your files (documents, photos, what-have-you) are not in trouble because of a corrupted urlmon.dll. If you transfer these files (not the programs, just the files) to the Win7 computer or the external drive they will be accessible and usable.

Second issue: the AVG toolbar window that keeps popping up. I might be wrong, but I don't think that is related to the urlmon.dll problem -- it's a separate problem. I don't have AVG anymore, but I do remember getting pop-ups wanting me to download additions. However, once I clicked the window off it wouldn't keep returning like you're experiencing. I suspect there's another issue going on in your machine besides the corrupt urlmon.dll.

What I do suggest is make the future now and copy your files as you intended to the external drive. Just copy the files, none of the programs. Doing so ASAP will give you relief and help eliminate the intimidation you're feeling. Remember that we control computers not the other way around, but we have to be willing to learn, even in a small way, about how they work.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 AM

Oh, thank you! The AVG - well, it apparently has to be uploaded or updated or whatever it does through IE, which will not work because of the .dll or .exe or whatchamacallit. It's an update to the current program. I use Chrome so I'm not sure how to do a workaround to make it go away, but when it pops up again I will try to get a screen shot and post it since I am flying blind.

Yes, I am accessing via Google on the sick computer - but I cannot access via IE at all.

I have no objection to attempting to download a new urlmon.dll but have no clue which folder it would go in, where to look for it, or the "very easy" steps involved I want to back up my files first...lord...I hope I know what I'm doing...

At this point am I better admitting my total ignorance of the innards of a computer and calling in the big boys or am I even semi-capable of doing this task? If anyone wants to walk me through it I'm game - although the Computer forum might experience overload...

Old 01-30-2012, 07:44 AM

4,244 posts, read 12,771,777 times
Oh indeed you are capable -- no need to call in the big boys. (Remember, this is coming from a less than semi-literate computer person, so if I can do some of these things, so can you.)

First, copy your files (docs and photos etc.) to the external so that you know they're safe and sound. Second, I presume the new Win7 computer is running and can access the 'net?

Once the copy is done and you know the Win7 machine does all you want it to do, then it's psychological insurance that working with your sick one will have zero consequence.

Which version of Windows is on the sick one, XP?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:42 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,657,958 times
Search The Knowledge Base

Old 01-30-2012, 12:04 PM

plwhit, I have done the steps outlined in the knowledge base and still receive the error. I did them again just to make sure. Still there.

mawipafl - I am copying everything now - and yes, the Win7 can access the internet...so I guess I am where I am until this part is complete.

I have Windows 5.1 SP 3 XP Media Edition.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,657,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
plwhit, I have done the steps outlined in the knowledge base and still receive the error. I did them again just to make sure. Still there.

mawipafl - I am copying everything now - and yes, the Win7 can access the internet...so I guess I am where I am until this part is complete.

I have Windows 5.1 SP 3 XP Media Edition.
You went through all 15 things Microsoft lists on that support page?

Was this there as well?

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

Old 01-30-2012, 01:46 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times
Sam You Are, if all else fails, you can use the automated script for a friend to replace the urlmon.dll file on his Windows XP sp3 system. So if you also have a Windows XP system with service pack 2 or 3 it will work.

To run it:
The zip file (URLMON-Fix.zip) has a self-extracting file in it with .exe extension. Extract the zip file anywhere on your system then double-click the URLMON-Fix.exe to run the tool. Click RUN/YES if you get any pop-up warning messages.

What it does: checks to see if there is a copy of the urlmon.dll file in the dllcache folder. If it exists it deletes it. Checks to see if you have the urlmon.dll file in the System32 folder, if it doesn't already exist, it copies the included one. If it did already exist, it will unregister it then rename it to OLD_urlmon.dll then it will copy the included one and then register the file again.

The tool can be used while running the system in normal mode but the user must have Admin rights.

You can download it from here

If this tool didn't help then you got more issues on this system, possible too complicated for a novice user to mess with but you could try all suggestions by the regular experts on this or another site.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers