Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I got a new laptop about a month and a half ago, since the old one refuses to do the things I want it to do anymore. However, there are pictures and things that I would like to transfer from one computer to another, and I don't have an external hard drive to get the stuff off of Old Laptop, then transfer to New Laptop.

Could I somehow use a network cable and basically do it that way instead of using some intermediary storage device? If yes, how would I go about doing it and what would I need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 06:04 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
I use a flashdrive to transfer all the time. An inexpensive one with 3 to 4 gig costs under $15. It's a fast way to copy/paste files from one computer to another as opposed to the more complicated process of trying to set up a network between the computers if one doesn't exist.

To backup for safe keeping I have an external drive attached at all times. Again, it's fast and easy to copy/paste from C to K (K being the letter given to the USB port on my computer; yours would be different).

Old 01-30-2012, 04:12 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Would that work for things like an itunes library? The itunes library is larger than what I could do with a USB drive.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:25 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
If the itunes library was larger than the flashdrive, then it wouldn't work unless you could split the library into smaller chunks. None of my music or video files were huge, so I don't have first-hand knowledge about transferring an itunes library.

As for setting up a network to "wire" the two laptops together, it was my past experience that older laptops/computers and newer ones have difficulty networking. BUT it completely depends on the age of Old Laptop and the OS version it is running. If I recall, I should have been able to use a basic ethernet wire to connect my old computer to my new one, but the old computer wouldn't cooperate.

I quickly googled and saw that a double-ended USB cord might work and then use file transfer wizard to move the files over to New Laptop.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
A few ideas:
- If you are going to use an Ethernet cable and a direct connection from one PC to another PC/laptop then you will have to use a crossover network cable. If there is a switch/router/hub that both these machines will connect to then of course you would use a straight network cable and then make sure all machines are on the same domain or workgroup, enable sharing or remote desktop, etc. and connect to the target PC whichever way you prefer and transfer data easily.

- Alternative would be to use one of the free online data backup/storage sites where they give you Gigs of free space.

- Take out the hard drive from the target machine and connect it to the source machine which should appear as a second drive where you can transfer any and all data you want, this is probably the most practical and easiest. If both drives are SATA, then you do not even have to worry about messing with the Master/Slave jumpers like you would with PATA drives.

Just my $0.02's worth.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:42 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
If you are really intent on not using a flash drive/online back up you can get a USB device called a Tornado to easily transfer the data.

Or you could get a simple crossover cable. To transfer the data using a crossover cable:

1. Disconnect PC from a network cable/wireless network
2. Connect the crossover cable to the Ethernet port on each PC
3. Do Start, Run, cmd on each PC and enter ipconfig then hit enter
4. Make a note of each IP address. Should be something like 169.xx.xx.xx. This is known as an apipa address. You might have to do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew in the cmd window.
5. share out the C drive on the source PC: How to Share and Map a Network Drive Using a Crossover Cable Between Systems
6. transfer data as needed

Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
A few ideas:
- If you are going to use an Ethernet cable and a direct connection from one PC to another PC/laptop then you will have to use a crossover network cable. If there is a switch/router/hub that both these machines will connect to then of course you would use a straight network cable and then make sure all machines are on the same domain or workgroup, enable sharing or remote desktop, etc. and connect to the target PC whichever way you prefer and transfer data easily.

- Alternative would be to use one of the free online data backup/storage sites where they give you Gigs of free space.

- Take out the hard drive from the target machine and connect it to the source machine which should appear as a second drive where you can transfer any and all data you want, this is probably the most practical and easiest. If both drives are SATA, then you do not even have to worry about messing with the Master/Slave jumpers like you would with PATA drives.

Just my $0.02's worth.
This gets my vote.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
Not sure if this is the one I use or not-

Apricorn DriveWire Storage controller- IDE / Serial ATA-150- 150 MBps

Approx. $30.

Pull your old drive out, plug it into the adapter and plug the adapter into the USB port. Drag and drop.

Then keep your old notebook hardrive as an external backup.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 PM

56 posts, read 511,158 times
I do not intend to tell you what you should do, but if you are worried about loosing data.. do you have a back-up source in case your hard drive fails, computer gets stolen?

I kind of like the idea of getting a external hard drive enclosure. You can pull your old hard drive and put it in the external enclosure. The reason I say "kind of" like the idea is because I went through three external enclosures and all of them had issues... I do not want any back-up issues.

I ended up buying a WD My Book external hard drive, and its been flawless for two years!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:55 PM

56 posts, read 511,158 times
They do have USB data sync cables...

USB Data Sync Cable | Samsung Office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers