U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:37 AM

40,209 posts, read 41,799,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Keep in mind that regular hosting won't backup or guarantee your files,
The host I have does do "backups" as part of their service even for the cheap plans. They aren't guaranteed though. I know the server crashed a few years ago and the backup they used was a full 3 days out date. Might not make difference for small site but in my case since I have active forum that would have been 3 days I lost. Fortunately I had my own backups.

They do offer a dedicated service for backups for an additional fee.

Quote:
You'll also pay $0.18 per GB each time a file is downloaded, so that could add up pretty quick if you are constantly getting files back from storage, or sharing files with others.
Aha.... There's the catch, that seemed like a really cheap option.

------------

My advice is use your own drives, preferably you want to keep them elsewhere. For example I used to do a lot of video. I'd transfer the video to external drive for easy access. The tapes are stored at a relatives house. Actually almost had to use this plan because I had a house fire, while the computer and drives were stinky as hell they all still worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 08:20 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,438,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Are you trying to be facetious?

That's cute but... I would not want to have a machine at home running with my data on it while I am out of town. ... And don't need to be able to turn lights on and off and change the heat etc while I am out of town either .... so yeah..we really don't need to be discussing that. LOL

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Facetious? I am totally serious.

Quote:" I would not want to have a machine at home running with my data on it while I am out of town."

Not sure of the reason, but whether you are there or not makes no difference to the PC.

My point was, that you have a lot more flexibility if you do something like one of the OP's indicated; get Windows Home Server (it has been around since 2007).
If you feel that is too complicated, go buy a 64GB Sandisk USB flash drive for $50 (that meets the 50-100G criteria you indicated), and be done with it.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,463,776 times
I would never store personal information anywhere on the web. Pictures or video sure, but financial info etc is better stored on an external hd that has password and then inside a safe and possible chained up. Thieves man,.never underestimate em.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 PM

548 posts, read 1,065,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Is this not what I said ???

<<<I do store files at home. Just wanted an additional place.>>>
>>>A place to *store* files, other than anything *at home*<<<

Anybody authorised to do so , could be *you* ???
Am I speaking a foreign language or something ?
Yes irman, you are right.
I thought you were implying that I did not want to store anything at home, .. only online instead of in addition to storing at home.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The host I have does do "backups" as part of their service even for the cheap plans. They aren't guaranteed though. I know the server crashed a few years ago and the backup they used was a full 3 days out date. Might not make difference for small site but in my case since I have active forum that would have been 3 days I lost. Fortunately I had my own backups.

They do offer a dedicated service for backups for an additional fee.

>>>> about RackSpace <<<<<<

Aha.... There's the catch, that seemed like a really cheap option.
Yes the host I use does backups too (they say on a daily basis).

I did not realize RackSpace had the $0.18 per GB catch because I had not read all the details when I posted it on this forum. Not a good plan at all.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
You'd have to read the Terms of Service that the hosting provider has you agree to when you create the account.

Most hosts prohibit storing of files that are not related to the web site.

If you're not abusive, then you can probably get away with storing a certain amount of files in a folder on the site without them ever taking notice. If you always push right to the 50 GB mark, then you'll probably get noticed.
I read the Terms of Use/Current Policies
It states: "All services provided by "xyz hosting" may be used for lawful purposes only. Transmission, STORAGE or Presentation of any information, data or material in violation of any United States Federal, State or City law is prohibited.
This includes, but is not limited to: copyrighted material, material that is threatening or obscene, material that is with "adult only" content, or material, protected by trade secrets and other statute.

I do not have anything that falls into those catagories ....
And it does not state they "prohibit Storing of files that are not related to the web site" so it looks like it will be alright as long as I don't exceed the disk usuage I'm signed up for.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

If you feel that is too complicated, go buy a 64GB Sandisk USB flash drive for $50 (that meets the 50-100G criteria you indicated), and be done with it.
That is a good suggestion. I forgot they come in higher than 16 GB because that is usually what I see advertised, 4GB, 8GB and 16GB always on sale somewhere.
Is Sundisk the best Brand or does it matter?
BTW .... I always wonder what is the difference between Flash Drive, Jump Drive, USB Drive ?
Of course they are all USB drives.
Why not just one name, "Portable Stick Drive"?
{ maybe that is for another discussion thread }

Old 02-04-2012, 01:13 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
When you are *not at home*, would you mind if you had something in your pocket or briefcase that could hold 50 gigs ?

Some of these USB sticks, can hold quite a bit of info today.
How about this one:
Transcend TS64GJF500 JetFlash 500 USB Drive - 64GB, USB 2.0, Plug and Play at TigerDirect.com

Old 02-04-2012, 10:22 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,438,952 times
Quote:
That is a good suggestion. I forgot they come in higher than 16 GB because that is usually what I see advertised, 4GB, 8GB and 16GB always on sale somewhere.
Is Sundisk the best Brand or does it matter?
BTW .... I always wonder what is the difference between Flash Drive, Jump Drive, USB Drive ?
Why not just one name, "Portable Stick Drive"?
{ maybe that is for another discussion thread }

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I just threw that model out as an example. But I agree, the generic 'Portable Stick Drive' is a better, more generic term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers