U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:10 PM

548 posts, read 1,066,024 times

Advertisements

Some Hosting Companies offer 50000 MB (isn't that 50 GB?) of Disk Space. If all that space is not being used to Host a Website, would it be a good place to to use as an extra place to store files (in addition to having them backed up on an External Hard Drive on my desk)?
I'm wanting to have my files backed up in more than one place (just in case)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 01:55 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,797 times
You'd have to read the Terms of Service that the hosting provider has you agree to when you create the account.

Most hosts prohibit storing of files that are not related to the web site.

If you're not abusive, then you can probably get away with storing a certain amount of files in a folder on the site without them ever taking notice. If you always push right to the 50 GB mark, then you'll probably get noticed.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:55 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,281,537 times
Just 50 Gigs ?
Why not buy two external hard drives and get it over with ???

My case:
Wife has two USB sticks that she uses to back up her financial files on.
Then we have each a 2 Tb external hard drive (Costco, had them on sale once), and since both computers are interconnected via the router, our pc's, are backed up and synched all the time on the two external hard drives.

Hard to imagine all of them going south at the same time ...

Old 02-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,902 posts, read 33,639,931 times
One downside I can see is that it's a less secure option than a dedicated backup service. Hosting servers get compromised routinely. Some other account holder on your shared server leaves an insecure script running and before long, the hackers get root on your server. Once a hacker gets root, there's nothing to stop him from rummaging through, downloading or trashing your backup.

Most backup services encrypt the files. You might want to encrypt them yourself before you back them up, particularly if storing backups is against the host's TOS.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Just 50 Gigs ?
Why not buy two external hard drives and get it over with ???

My case:
Wife has two USB sticks that she uses to back up her financial files on.
Then we have each a 2 Tb external hard drive (Costco, had them on sale once), and since both computers are interconnected via the router, our pc's, are backed up and synched all the time on the two external hard drives.

Hard to imagine all of them going south at the same time ...
Just curious.... what brand External HD do you use?
I just purchased a WD My Book Essentials (haven't opened it yet) and I have a couple of USB sticks too.
But I already have the Hosting Space available because I don't use it all and thought it may be additional storage space I could make use of with the plus side that it is not located where I am ... if we were to get hit by a tornado or theives or whatever jk

Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,493,942 times
Carbonite...

Old 02-02-2012, 03:58 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Some Hosting Companies offer 50000 MB (isn't that 50 GB?) of Disk Space. If all that space is not being used to Host a Website, would it be a good place to to use as an extra place to store files (in addition to having them backed up on an External Hard Drive on my desk)?
I'm wanting to have my files backed up in more than one place (just in case)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I use a few WD 2TB harddrives (redundantly). I have one more that I keep in a fireproof safe, that I back up one of the redundant drive to occasionally. These drives are $129 at Wally-world. I would need a triple failure to lose data (or one nice EMP)

50GB is only 2.5% of a 2TB drive... that is in the noise. I think hard drives will be getting to the point where, for personal use, you will never have to delete a file again (in my lifetime). Though it will be a while before PB and (and possibly) EB drives exist

Old 02-02-2012, 04:34 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,281,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Just curious.... what brand External HD do you use?
Seagate. Satisfied so far. No problems. Been doing this now for about two years.

BTW, the two external drivers are sitting an a fireproof security box.
About 30 times more air than hard drive volume.
No overheating problems ... yet.
I think, because the drives do not run constantly ?
At least it was advertised as Fireproof. Hope I never have to test it ???

Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 PM

28,623 posts, read 40,604,922 times
I've used Carbonite for years. I once had to restore a disk that had crashed for a client using them. Piece of cake.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I've used Carbonite for years. I once had to restore a disk that had crashed for a client using them. Piece of cake.
I'm really looking for a place to use as Storage rather than a place that Backs up my Files because I want to free-up my hard-drive. I have an External Hard-drive as well as a few USB Sticks but wanted a place to store my files off site for additional backup.
I checked out the Carbonite Website and it sounds great for doing regular BackUps, However in the FAQ it states:
"Carbonite is online backupnot online storage.
It is meant to be a backup of the files that are on your computer – not a place to store files in order to free up space on your hard drive. If you remove any file from your hard drive, we wait 30 days for you to recover it, and then we delete that file from our servers, too."

I was reading about RackSpace Cloud Hosting {on demand Storage & Content delivery)
Their website says prices start at .15 cents /GB/Mo and you pay as you grow (as much or as little storage as you want)
It says...."Keep Data Private or Share it Publicly—Your Choice. Each container that you create for your files can be marked as either private or public".
I would sure appreciate some opinions on this ?
It sounds like what I have in mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers