U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,840,027 times

Advertisements

Seriously. Unless you are putting a higher-end desktop together it is almost impossible to save much money vs. any of the mass producers, any savings you'd eek out wouldn't be worth it vs. the basic warranty you get with a prebuilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Building a desktop doesn't make sense for someone with no interest in doing so. The savings for basic desktops are virtually non-existent.

HP, Dell, Acer direct, etc is fine. But also consider sites like Amazon.... save on tax.
Yeah, but you get exactly what you want. Manufacturers always cut corners, specifically on motherboards and hard drives..

Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 AM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times
I've used Newegg, TigerDirect and cdw as online sources for different stuff at different times. There are other specialty shops that are useful too, such as usbgear and dealextreme, but the first three are good all purpose computer retailers.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 AM

9,233 posts, read 19,293,657 times
It's so funny how all the "computer geeks" (not an insult) I know say "build your own!" and it's coming up here as well. Yeah, right. Just like with my car: I want to operate it, but don't care to know what's inside it.

Like I said, I'm not in need of a high-performance piece of hardware. I really don't care about customizing, because my needs are not so individualized that customization would be necessary.

I want to e-mail, go online, stream audio/video, do a handful of Word docs and Excel spreadsheets, and store a bunch of photos. My biggest issue is that I want it to be reliable and not freeze up three times a night. I want to surf around the internet and not get "Program not responding...End Now..." 5 times a night. And I don't want it to send my e-mail to my boyfriend's mailbox and his e-mail to mine. And I'd like it to last me at least 5 years.

And if the manufacturer of the computer or software that's installed has "automatic updates" I want to be able to turn them off and just get up-dates when I'm notified and CHOOSE to take them. I can't tell you how many times I'm completely frozen when online and I go to the Task Mgr and see "HP automatic updates" running, even though I went into every single possible option and turned them off. Even had a computer **** family member make sure they are all turned off. But they keep coming back like zombies.

Am I better off to forget the "best desktop" lists and ratings online and just walk in to a store and buy one off the shelf? Maybe I'm overthinking it by doing research? If I just go into Staples, for instance, and pick one that's like $350, would I be pretty much satisfied?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:30 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
Get a core i5, 4-6GB RAM, good sized hard drive, done. Doesn't really matter what brand you go for, CS varies per call in my experience. I guess if I had to choose, I'd probably look to HP for a desktop, Asus for a laptop.

If you go for a super cheapo staples special, you will be disappointed and it will not last you anywhere near 5 years.

Not doing research on anything that costs more than $20 in my opinion is ignorant (in most cases, obviously you wouldn't spend time worrying about which lumber store has the better bag of nails).......a few hours of research will save you headache and future purchases.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:45 AM

8,676 posts, read 9,450,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Like I said, I'm not in need of a high-performance piece of hardware. I really don't care about customizing, because my needs are not so individualized that customization would be necessary.

I want to e-mail, go online, stream audio/video, do a handful of Word docs and Excel spreadsheets, and store a bunch of photos. My biggest issue is that I want it to be reliable and not freeze up three times a night. I want to surf around the internet and not get "Program not responding...End Now..." 5 times a night. And I don't want it to send my e-mail to my boyfriend's mailbox and his e-mail to mine. And I'd like it to last me at least 5 years.

Am I better off to forget the "best desktop" lists and ratings online and just walk in to a store and buy one off the shelf? Maybe I'm overthinking it by doing research? If I just go into Staples, for instance, and pick one that's like $350, would I be pretty much satisfied?
Like kazyn said...

Here is my story. Basically I use my computer for internet stuff like seeking info, buying stuff, forums, the occasional YOUTUBE video -no gaming, no internet TV (I do have a ROKU box hooked up to my TV). Email stuff, photo stuff. I don’t download movies.

So I wanted to replace my six year old desktop, which I suspected was starting to die. I did some looking around and boasted to my wife that I could pick up a decent machine at Staples for under $500-that sold her on the idea. I did some reasearch talked to the IT guys at work, posted questions on the internet and here is what I found out.

The off the shelf stuff at places like staples for under $500 are basically low-end junk filled machines with a few catchy features that draws one’s attention. So I went to the HP site and ended up spending $460, after rebates, for a machine that would have cost me $700-$800 at Staples. Free shipping. And we are thrilled with the perfomance of our new machine. Same would go for a Dell, leveno, etc. You pay less when you cut out the middle man.

Our six year old HP was a $900 machine from Staples. It just happened to die a week ago. Good timing on my part!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or