U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:35 PM

9,233 posts, read 19,293,657 times

Advertisements

I want a new desktop home computer.
I checked a bunch of ratings--PC World, PCmag, Consumer Reports, CNet.com, etc. and found a few I might want. Not sure where else to look at consumer and editor ratings, so if you have ideas of where else to look, thanks, but that's not my primary question.

I need nothing fancy, something under $500, or right at $500. No gaming, just a simple home computer that will surf the internet without freezing up, hold a bunch of photos and some word docs, let me watch a DVD once in a while, let me watch streaming video/audio online, and let me e-mail without freezing and crashing. I have a nice monitor already, as well as a printer and speakers. So I just need the tower. I hate HP (long story) and I'm pretty sure I want an Acer Aspire or a Dell Inspiron. A few from Lenovo looked okay, as my 3rd choice.

I never bought a computer online before, but it looks like I need to go that route. I generally shop a lot on Amazon, but they don't have the ones I'm interested in (just some "used" or "refurbished," um, no thanks).

I was wondering which online retailers are the most trustworthy, with the best customer service? Is newegg.com good? Any others that are good? Any I should stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:38 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
Newegg is the best IMO. They're top notch. You could also look at Tiger Direct.

Would you consider building one yourself?

Old 02-02-2012, 04:40 PM

You're joking, right?

Seriously, I'm not qualified.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Newegg

Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 PM

956 posts, read 1,387,725 times
Stay away from Microcenter. Worst.Service.Ever.

TigerDirect was pretty decent. No issues with them.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
You're joking, right?

Aww come on, it's not that hard

In any event, take a look around and post what you might consider buying here, that way we can let you know whether or not you're getting your money's worth.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM

8,676 posts, read 9,450,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
You're joking, right?

I recently ordered my desktop thru HP. Just ordered a higher end laptop for the wife thru the HP site.

You can either customize or buy a prebuilt. What's nice about custom is that you get what you want and don't have to pay for what you don't want.

So basically to get a particular performance level you will pay less if you go with HP or Dell, for example, and go custom. Looking at the stuff Best buy Staples, et. al. were offering when I bought my desktop, I discovered that you'd pay $700-$800 to get the performance that spending $500 would give you thru HP.

And you can call while putting together your machine for guidance. Good service at HP, BTW.

Edit: just noticed you hate HP . Go to the Dell site then, same concept, but truth be told I'll never buy from Dell again. Long story. Tiger does custom, I think.

Last edited by Mr5150; 02-02-2012 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 PM

There seem to be several versions of the Acer Aspire desktop, and I'm not sure which is best, but they seem to be low-priced and rated decently. the most recent one that had a good review was the AX3400-U2012, but it doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere.

Then I saw an Acer AM3470-UC30P that was rated well, but doesn't seen to be available anywhere.

I read good things about the Dell 580 and 570, but on the Dell website, there is no 580 so it may be older. So it looks like if I do Dell, it'll be the 570 or 620, directly from Dell. they both seem really inexpensive. Kind of like "what's the catch?" inexpensive.

So what do you do when you read good reviews on a computer, and then no one sells it? Ugh.

I also read good things about the Lenovo Idea Centre, but everyone seems to instead sell the Lenovo Think Centre.

I also hate when I find really good reviews on a website, and then I notice the article is from 2010! I was reading great stuff about this Acer Aspire M3, and then realized the damned article was 2 years old. I think I had even googled "best desk top computers 2012" and got that one. sheesh.

I'm really not picky as to brand. Just not an Apple person, and I LOATHE Hewlitt Packard after my current computer and my last printer. Just want a decent well-known name, not a fly-by-night company that will be gone tomorrow, not so cheap it'll need to be replaced in a year or two. Like I said, I have really simple home computing needs, so I won't worry about being Obsolete in a year. I generally keep computers about 5 years.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Building a desktop doesn't make sense for someone with no interest in doing so. The savings for basic desktops are virtually non-existent.

HP, Dell, Acer direct, etc is fine. But also consider sites like Amazon.... save on tax.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,754,719 times
I've also purchased from MacMall. They sell Macs primarily but also have PC's. I got my daughter's Toshiba laptop last June for $384 with an i5 processor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or