U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:34 PM

40,287 posts, read 41,836,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
My main problem is humidity, metal parts in my computers tend to rust within a few years
You have answered your own question, humid conditions will keep the dust to a minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,750,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217
Pointing a hairdryer into the psu fan turned the light solid green and everything powered up!
Good buddy im glad ya found an easy fix

Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,092,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I had to laugh really hard when I saw the photos of those dusted computers Where on earth (if on earth) do those people run their computers?!
The floor. Everything falls--dust, pethair, etc. Combined with the 3+ fans in most computers these days, and you're just asking for trouble. The dirtiest computers I see tend to come from smokers. The tar binds itself to every surface, and dust sticks to it like fly-paper. It leaves a thick, yellow mass on everything inside.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:56 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,330,321 times
Well, there is no way that I am going to inhale that dust, so never blow it off. I just live the computer grounded and use a dusting brush with a HEPA vacuum cleaner. But then I am a professional, and only clean my own computers, which by the way, never get much dust inside. I clean then about one per year. There has to be a better way for computer technicians to clean computers, because inhaling all that dust can't be good at all.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:48 PM

40,287 posts, read 41,836,137 times
Put on a dust mask, have someone hold shop vac hose near it while you're doing, fan sucking air out of the room? I've cut tile in my house with grinder dry, using vacuum and fan there was very little dust.

Personally i just take it out the back door of the garage, take a big gulp of mountain fresh air and go to town with the air compressor hose. There's enough volume of air coming out of the compressor I can blow it far away if I need to take a breath.

Be aware air from a compressor can contain moisture, use at your own risk.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:53 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,682,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Put on a dust mask, have someone hold shop vac hose near it while you're doing, fan sucking air out of the room? I've cut tile in my house with grinder dry, using vacuum and fan there was very little dust.

Personally i just take it out the back door of the garage, take a big gulp of mountain fresh air and go to town with the air compressor hose. There's enough volume of air coming out of the compressor I can blow it far away if I need to take a breath.

Be aware air from a compressor can contain moisture, use at your own risk.
This is my method as well. Blast away!

Old 03-18-2012, 01:58 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,330,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, there is no way that I am going to inhale that dust, so never blow it off. I just live the computer grounded and use a dusting brush with a HEPA vacuum cleaner. But then I am a professional, and only clean my own computers, which by the way, never get much dust inside. I clean then about one per year. There has to be a better way for computer technicians to clean computers, because inhaling all that dust can't be good at all.
ooops!! I wasn't paying attention. I meant to say that I am not a professional

By the way, I don't disagree with you about blowing-away the dust from your computers. I was referring to computer technicians inhaling all that dust for long periods of time. You never know what kind of dust particles the fans of computers used at some factories and businesses suck-in.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
My home computer (an HP desktop) wouldn't turn on after a power outtage in the neighborhood several weeks ago. The motherboard light was flashing, but still- nothing.

I figured I'd need to buy a new power supply and was loathing the idea of taking it in somewhere.

Anyway, I got totally bored earlier and opened my busted computer to check out the psu and did a major dusting inside, etc etc...

Was looking looking online for some parts, and found a site where people were talking about this method, and turns out...
Pointing a hairdryer into the psu fan turned the light solid green and everything powered up! I was amazed it actually worked, lol.

Anyone familiar with this?! Is it a temporary fix or am I good to go?! Everything is running smooth so far!

My computer stopped working after a power outage also. I researched on line and also found that using a hair dryer works. So I tried it and boom it worked lol I was so happy.. But the only bad thing is that you have to use it every time you turn your computer off. In my case when I am done with the PC for the day (usually at bed time lol), it tends to turn off by it's self. When I wake up in the morning it's off and I have to use the hair dryer again! Well I have been using this technique for about a year now (didn't bother looking into it more because it seemed to work perfect), and yesterday the dang computer shut off in the middle of one of my face book games!! (UGHH) So I restarted it, and now it tends to shut off every 15-20 minutes. So Now I am looking into it more! Hopefully I can find a fix for it (cheap too hopefully) and not have to buy a new computer all together!! So I advise you too look into the problem and prices more before you end up like me!!

Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,402,578 times
I can't find this mentioned in any of the posts, I'm assuming you made sure that the dry was not on the heat settings? You'd really mess it up, one of my customers spilled water on the PC and tried to dry it up with a hair drier on max power, max heat. Not good!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 PM

10,890 posts, read 13,791,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerida888 View Post
My computer stopped working after a power outage also. I researched on line and also found that using a hair dryer works. So I tried it and boom it worked lol I was so happy.. But the only bad thing is that you have to use it every time you turn your computer off. In my case when I am done with the PC for the day (usually at bed time lol), it tends to turn off by it's self. When I wake up in the morning it's off and I have to use the hair dryer again! Well I have been using this technique for about a year now (didn't bother looking into it more because it seemed to work perfect), and yesterday the dang computer shut off in the middle of one of my face book games!! (UGHH) So I restarted it, and now it tends to shut off every 15-20 minutes. So Now I am looking into it more! Hopefully I can find a fix for it (cheap too hopefully) and not have to buy a new computer all together!! So I advise you too look into the problem and prices more before you end up like me!!
That's awesome! Glad I wasn't the only one that actually worked for! lol

Mine would only quit working when it was unplugged. Shut-down was fine.

I just recently replaced the PSU, (I got the hookup on some spare parts.) It fixed the problem completely though, so that's what I'd look into if I were you. Good Luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690
I can't find this mentioned in any of the posts, I'm assuming you made sure that the dry was not on the heat settings? You'd really mess it up, one of my customers spilled water on the PC and tried to dry it up with a hair drier on max power, max heat. Not good!
Noooo, my dryer has cool settings.

But that's a crazy story, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or