U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,972,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I have went through 3 dvd players in a year. Today just bought a new Sony and its doing what the last 2 did, freezing up all over the place even with a brand new disc. In 1999 when I went to dvd from vhs my players would last about 4 years. Now I'm lucky to get 6 months out of one. So are they being built poorly or what's going on? This is crazy I have about 350 dvds and I can't even watch them.
Go into the used market to find an older, better made, player. IMO all the new stuff is garbage since there is no reason to build a quality player for a dead market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 AM

10,890 posts, read 13,786,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasra View Post
Haha "no problems".... don't know what to say about that... VHS players used to break as well, especially cheaper varieties, and when they did, they destroyed the tapes by jagging the edges.

DVD is greater than VHS, but that no raw recording mechanism was implemented to DVD-RW capable players is a big mistake (i.e. being able to just connect to a signal source and push record on the player to record a new clip).
Over the years my VCRs have lasted way longer, and only once has a tape ever been eaten! I've gone through several DVD players, same as the OP has.

Right now I have one of those dual VHS/DVD combos and the dvd part has been broken for like 2 yrs! I can get quality vhs movies for under a dollar, compared to the much higher price of new/used dvds.

Not a big deal really.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,033,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Go into the used market to find an older, better made, player. IMO all the new stuff is garbage since there is no reason to build a quality player for a dead market.
Hardly a dead market

Old 02-08-2012, 10:58 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,204,983 times
My xbox 360's DVD drive has been working great since 2006.

I had the red ring of death in '08-'09 but got it fixed for free, then a couple of months ago I had a stuck dvd drive door that was just a little dusty, that I fixed myself.

I think if you want drives that will last a PS3 or Xbox would be your best bet.

Going back to a VHS is beyond my comprehension. I haven't held a VHS tape for over 5 years.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post

Going back to a VHS is beyond my comprehension. I haven't held a VHS tape for over 5 years.
I'm with you here; although I "held" a big box of dusty old tapes into the Goodwill bin last summer when we moved. It's been close to 11 years since we even owned a VHS player.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
In the 21+ years that my wife and I have been married we've owned two VHS players, and two DVD players (not counting various consoles and PCs that have DVD players in them).

The first VHS player died a few years after we got married, but it was given to us by a family member, and it was well used then we got it. The next one worked until we got our first DVD player about 8 years later (although it had real bad tracking issues by that time).

We bought our first DVD player about 11 years ago, and it still works today (although it only likes wide screen DVDs for some reason). When we bought our HDTV a few years ago we replaced that DVD player with an up-sampling model that had HDMI output. It's still going strong today.

While this is anecdotal, all of it was mid range equipment and I feel that I got our moneys worth. I think if you go in and buy a $39 DVD player you'll get a $39 device. If you buy one for $150 you're more likely to get a better life span out of it.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 PM

40,209 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I think if you go in and buy a $39 DVD player you'll get a $39 device. If you buy one for $150 you're more likely to get a better life span out of it.
The problem becomes finding something better than $39. I know with VHS for something new you're either stuck with the dual VHS/DVD crap deck or you're going to spend a thousand bucks for pro deck. There is nothing in between. I have used JVC model here I spent about $350 on back in 2004 that I could probably sell on ebay for $400 used, this particular deck is sought after by video enthusiasts/pros though.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,311 times
My little dvd players keep breaking, yes I paid about $30 or $40 for them. Would it help if I bought a more expensive player? If it's going to last only a year or so, then I may as well buy a cheap one. Any suggestions?

Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM

356 posts, read 458,204 times
surprised dvd players are not extinct yet especially with the popularity of movie streaming like netflix. even the new laptops dont include DVD drive anymore.

if i want to watch a dvd i just use my laptop or desktop computer or xbox dvd drive.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasra View Post
As for DVD/CD players, I think the main problem is the "rubber rings" which keep the DVD in place by friction... These dry out in a short time (conspiracy?) and then you have problems because the disc will sometimes slightly skip. Opening the players up and re-lubricating said rings cures the problem, but this is often so difficult that it is easier to just trash the player and get a new one...
I wonder if this is what is *wrong* with the DVD player in our car (built-in). You put the DVD in, then have to wait for some time often until it finally *reads* the DVD. After that no problem, just in the beginning when you first start out on a trip with the grand kids (the main reason we bought a van (2004 Honda) with an *entertainment package).

When I buy movies on DVD, the first thing I do is copy the bugger on my HD, if it is possible, or I use the in-between *dongle* made by *Dazzle*. All the movies are thus on an external drive. For some reason, the DVD drive in my laptop has not failed me ... yet !

Somebody mention *lubricating* those rings. Any tips there, besides the comment that it is not easy ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or