U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:32 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,465,837 times

Advertisements

I have went through 3 dvd players in a year. Today just bought a new Sony and its doing what the last 2 did, freezing up all over the place even with a brand new disc. In 1999 when I went to dvd from vhs my players would last about 4 years. Now I'm lucky to get 6 months out of one. So are they being built poorly or what's going on? This is crazy I have about 350 dvds and I can't even watch them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 AM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
Stand alone players have gone to cheap and junk. VHS RECORDERS are rare now. DVD player/recorders for computers still seem to be OK.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 PM

471 posts, read 1,376,271 times
The most expensive dvd player Panasonic, my fave brand of player, sells costs all of $49....and feels like it.

But not a big problem, because Blu-ray players also play dvds and CDs (except for some reason the first Sony BD player would not play CDs). Though many less expensive BD players aren't exactly paragons of quality either, since cramming in all that highly sophisticated circuitry cost big $$ so to keep the price manageable for us non-king and queens, physical build quality usually ends up being sacrificed e.g. flimsy loading drawers, thin gauge sheet metal everywhere and my biggest pet peeve, only play/stop/pause buttons on the player itself so if you lose the remote, you're screwed.

I am sure this is happening because the companies want us to transition to the BD format, and I have to kind of agree: building two different sets of players is expensive and most Blu-rays look much better on the larger screens, say 42" and up (some cheapskate studios do lousy jobs of transferring film to BD and those can look worse than their dvd counterpart).

Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,380,085 times
I bought an exxternal USB CD/DVD combo; both RW +/- when I bought my new OS X Mac Mini. I have had zero trouble with it.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:29 PM

40,293 posts, read 41,843,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I have went through 3 dvd players in a year. Today just bought a new Sony and its doing what the last 2 did, freezing up all over the place even with a brand new disc.
A specific disc or multiple discs?

Old 02-05-2012, 03:47 AM

80 posts, read 128,871 times
It seems build quality of electronics has generally gone down the bin. I've had phones in recent years that had to go through the warranty procedure four or five times, despite no drops onto the street, water exposure or other rough handling.

As for DVD/CD players, I think the main problem is the "rubber rings" which keep the DVD in place by friction... These dry out in a short time (conspiracy?) and then you have problems because the disc will sometimes slightly skip. Opening the players up and re-lubricating said rings cures the problem, but this is often so difficult that it is easier to just trash the player and get a new one...

Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 PM

10,890 posts, read 13,793,093 times
I've gone back to VHS. No problems there, lol.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 AM

80 posts, read 128,871 times
Haha "no problems".... don't know what to say about that... VHS players used to break as well, especially cheaper varieties, and when they did, they destroyed the tapes by jagging the edges.

DVD is greater than VHS, but that no raw recording mechanism was implemented to DVD-RW capable players is a big mistake (i.e. being able to just connect to a signal source and push record on the player to record a new clip).

Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,037,998 times
buy a playstation 3

Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM

40,293 posts, read 41,843,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasra View Post
Haha "no problems".... don't know what to say about that... VHS players used to break as well, especially cheaper varieties, and when they did, they destroyed the tapes by jagging the edges.
There is different methods to fix VHS, time consuming when the tape is damaged and there is no guarantees. While on the topcic and just a heads up for anyone reading this but if you have tapes that haven't been mangled but are still skewed, jumpy etc similar to tracking problem that can usually be fixed with the right hardware. Any of these mass conversion services offered by the big box services will not have it. I thi8n most people are under the impression there is something wrong with the tape but that is not the issue, it's the timing. Over time they stretch out and the siganl being sent to the TV is not timed correctly. All the information is there but there is not enough "slop" in the chain to compensate for the timing. This is not something you can do yourself unless you want to put down $500 on a TBC.

Quote:
DVD is greater than VHS, but that no raw recording mechanism was implemented to DVD-RW capable players is a big mistake (i.e. being able to just connect to a signal source and push record on the player to record a new clip).
I don;t know abut the players but you can do this with a capture card and the right software on a computer. Don't know what the current state is but it was very buggy years ago, firstly you need a computer that could encode real time which meant at minimum a 3ghz p4 processor. Inevitably something would screw up along the line somewhere, buffer would get overrun etc. Capturing video direct to HDD is hard enough let alone throwing in encoding and burning a disc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or