Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,650,142 times

Advertisements

I attempted to fix someone's laptop the other day. They had the "Internet Security 2012" virus. I successfully got rid of it. Got everything running again. The only thing that won't work is the Windows Firewall. This is on Windows 7. I googled up some help, but none of the advice worked. It seems that the service for Windows Firewall, and for other services that it works with, are gone. I ran out of time to figure that out, but she just decided to use the computer without it. I'm not feeling good about it. I'm thinking of a software firewall. I used to use Zone Alarm years ago. What's the current good ones to use? I'll probably try to fix the Windows Firewall services, but until then I can have her install one of those software firewalls. What do you think about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 10:06 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,426,677 times
Well you didn't "get every thing running again" because Windows Firewall isn't working. Is it merely missing files, or are parts of the original infection still at work?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well you didn't "get every thing running again" because Windows Firewall isn't working. Is it merely missing files, or are parts of the original infection still at work?
Okay. It appears that everything except the firewall works. Is that better? As far as I can tell, the infection is gone and this is just the leftover "scars". However, I'm not 100% sure of that. I would prefer to reformat/reinstall, but she doesn't want that. I've put Security Essentials on it (she had no anti-virus software previously). I've scanned her drive with Malwarebytes several times. I ran Microsoft's System Sweeper on it from a CD also. From all of the results it appears that whatever was infecting it, is gone. The files for the firewall service are also gone, as are for certain other services related to the firewall. It's possible that it's still infected, but I don't think so. She's running it this weekend without the firewall, or any firewall. I told her to backup the stuff she wants to keep before something goes wrong again. I'm thinking, though, that Monday I will ask her to let me take it home and reformat it3. If she won't, do you think just putting a firewall on it will help? I can't force her to do what I think she should do.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,826,237 times
There are utilities floating around that will repair file permissions/ACLs that were modified by malware, in order to restore services that no longer function after the infection.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
There are utilities floating around that will repair file permissions/ACLs that were modified by malware, in order to restore services that no longer function after the infection.
I see. I guess I'll have to search for one.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,016,095 times
Why not just do a repair install of Windows 7? The removal of the infection is incomplete if Windows Firewall is not operational.

Have you tried the Microsoft solution below:

Diagnose and fix Windows Firewall service problems automatically

Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,629,105 times
Or just disable firewall and install something free like zone alarm

Old 02-07-2012, 05:31 PM

8,234 posts, read 13,316,752 times
Windows Firewall is not even accessible? Curious, what happens when you do: START > RUN > firewall.cpl > OK ?

A 3rd-party firewall might be better though.
My 2 current favorite firewalls are Comodo and Private Firewall. I no longer consider ZoneAlarm as the top dog though still a solid choice, nevertheless.

You can download Comodo Firewall (free version) here

You can get Private Firewall which I am using from here

They are both awesome so visit both sites and try the one that appeals to you. I used Comodo a short while back and it was pretty good.
I don't know why but I like PrivateFirewall a bit better though.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why not just do a repair install of Windows 7? The removal of the infection is incomplete if Windows Firewall is not operational.

Have you tried the Microsoft solution below:

Diagnose and fix Windows Firewall service problems automatically
No, I didn't see that. I'll ask her to run that and see if it helps. As for repair install, she doesn't have a Win 7 DVD.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 PM

134 posts, read 545,555 times
try posting logs such as OTL and Hijackthis in forums such as hackforums.net or geekstogo.com etc. VERY expert in this area. I used to be on the team but didn't have time. If it isn't running more than likely a setting in the registry is changed, corrupted etc or you didn't completely remove the threat. They can assist you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers