U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:16 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times

Advertisements

lentzr, another program (public domain) you can use to see what programs are auto started when the system first comes up is Codestuff Starter, been using it for years now.

Quote:
As a primary purpose, Starter allows one to view and manage all the programs that are starting automatically whenever operating system is loading. It enumerates all the hidden registry entries, startup folders' items and some of the initialization files, so that the user could choose to temporarily disable selected entries, edit them, create new, or delete them permanently.

CodeStuff :: Starter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 02:51 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
You might want to look for a newer version of that prog plwhit: Sysinfo.org is no longer a valid source for startup files since it's outdated. Last update was July, 2011.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:25 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
As an example I have 2 (count 'em - 2!) programs that run at startup and one of them is a Word file that I created to remind me of stuff
Do I understand you correctly that after a normal start-up of windows whatever,
you only have two (2) programs running ?

What about all those *services* that are running in the background,
all installed by default ?
Else you must really running *bare bones* !

Last edited by irman; 02-06-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 04:04 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Please tell me what practical benefit is derived from having six browsers. I understand why a web programmer, a serious hobbyist, etc. might do this.
Sometimes websites don't work well in certain browsers, or they're just trying new things and they don't uninstall it after they've used it. There isn't a practical use, per se, but there is a logical reason behind it

Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,100,148 times
Tek_Freek - OK, I downloaded and used CCleaner like you said. It deleted a bunch of files. It did not appear to delete files that I specifically saved. It does look like a bunch of internet files were deleted. It also says that it deleted a bunch of microsoft word documents, but it looks like they are all still here. Ditto for the software applications...to be honest, I have no idea what was actually deleted. Everything looks normal on my computer. Only a small amount of space on the hard drive was created despite these deletes. I understand that one's internet history would be deleted by using this software, but what else is it suppossed to be deleting?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:18 PM

Wait a minute...within the past few hours, I forgot to mention, my computer has been running pretty hard. It works fine, but it loud like it is trying to run too many programs. The task manager shows me that I have 63 processes running, using up 52% of my CPU with a commit charge of 787M.4425M. What does that all mean? Am I supossed to have that many processes going? All I have open is google chrome to type in here. Also, I noticed that at least a half of a dozen of these processes are google chrome doing something. Should I hit "end process" when this happens or do I really have too many programs on my computer?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:57 PM

OK. I just restarted my computer. the computer is much quieter now. I still have 58 processes going on but it taking up only 2% of my CPU. The commit charge is 611M/4425M. Is this normal? Is it OK that I have so many processes taking place if my computer still runs fine?

Old 02-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Do I understand you correctly that after a normal start-up of windows whatever,
you only have two (2) programs running ?

What about all those *services* that are running in the background,
all installed by default ?
Else you must really running *bare bones* !
Please try to pay attention to the flow of a thread and actually read all the posts so you understand the context of a post when you read it.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Tek_Freek - OK, I downloaded and used CCleaner like you said. It deleted a bunch of files. It did not appear to delete files that I specifically saved. It does look like a bunch of internet files were deleted. It also says that it deleted a bunch of microsoft word documents, but it looks like they are all still here. Ditto for the software applications...to be honest, I have no idea what was actually deleted. Everything looks normal on my computer. Only a small amount of space on the hard drive was created despite these deletes. I understand that one's internet history would be deleted by using this software, but what else is it suppossed to be deleting?
It doesn't delete things like Word files. It does delete the junk left behind by the programs.

At the bottom left of the screen, just to the right of the toolbar is a button titled Analyze. Click that button and wait until it finishes. Assuming you've done some work since the last time you ran Ccleaner a list will show up. This doesn't remove anything, it just tells you what it will remove if you run the program. If you double click on an item (like Office 20??) it will open a new view and show what will be deleted. At the top is a View Summary Results button to go back top the first list. You can bounce back and forth between these to see what will be removed.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 PM

OK Tek_Freek. It looks like it is just deleting internet junk! I will use CCleaner on a regular basis to keep my computer (and six browsers! (Smile) clean! Thanks for all of your advice!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or