U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,100,148 times

Advertisements

My brother, who knows a little more about computers than I do, told me it was not a good idea to have too many internet based computer programs on my computer. He told me this because I have six different web browsers downloaded on my computer along with several other programs from freeware.com that I downloaded for free. He told me that the programs can still be running even if I log out of them. This can use up a lot of memory from my computer and even cause it problems. He said it was "slooping" or "snooping" or something like that. So, I need to ask someone who knows more about computers than either the both of us. Is it OK to have downloaded six different web browsers for when other people use my computer? Or for it I want to use a different one for a change? Or should I only have one web browser downloaded on my computer, the one I use? What about having too much free software downloaded off the computer, even if I know it is safe to download? Please tell me what you think! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 10:36 PM

40,209 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Some programs do run a lot of crap on computer startup they don't need to be running, that much is true but I'm not aware of any browser that do.

Hold down these keys in this sequence, ctrl -alt -delete. Then you can release all three.

This is the task manager, click the processes tab to see what is running. Many of these things are required but you can use Google to look up what they are.

I know under XP you're generally going to have about 30 running at startup.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:49 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
It would had been helpful if you told us what OS and the specs of your hardware...

Having 6 (or 30) browsers installed on you system doesn't make a difference. Only one is in use at any given time, correct?

Same thing for programs, you can have 10,000 downloaded and installed on your system, how many of them are running at once?

Freeware or commercial software, they all may phone home depending on automatic updates, what you allowed when you installed the software (usage statistics etc.)

Please tell us you have a decent AV scanner installed and your definitions are up-to-date (if you run Windows).

Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,100,148 times
Quote:
Please tell us you have a decent AV scanner installed and your definitions are up-to-date (if you run Windows).
Yes, I have AVG 2012 and all the updates including PC Tuneup that I use on a regular basis.

Quote:
Same thing for programs, you can have 10,000 downloaded and installed on your system, how many of them are running at once?
I only use one or two programs at once.

Quote:
Having 6 (or 30) browsers installed on you system doesn't make a difference. Only one is in use at any given time, correct?
Yes, I only use one browser at once.

Quote:
It would had been helpful if you told us what OS and the specs of your hardware...
I have a HP Pavilion a1620n and Windows XP
Total memory 3000MB
Hard Drive 250GB only 20% is being used!!!

So is it safe to say my brother was wrong? The number of browsers does not really matter? Especially since the others are closed when not in use? Or can the browsers do funny business when they are not open? I guess not at this point, but please reassure me that I am OK. Thank you both for your responses.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Yes, I have AVG 2012 and all the updates including PC Tuneup that I use on a regular basis.

I only use one or two programs at once.

Yes, I only use one browser at once.

I have a HP Pavilion a1620n and Windows XP
Total memory 3000MB
Hard Drive 250GB only 20% is being used!!!

So is it safe to say my brother was wrong? The number of browsers does not really matter? Especially since the others are closed when not in use? Or can the browsers do funny business when they are not open? I guess not at this point, but please reassure me that I am OK. Thank you both for your responses.
With one browser running you are fine. The only thing a browser could do is check for updates and that's no biggie.

If any application or browser is just hanging out on the hard disk and not executed it's just taking up disk space, no memory is allocated.

Relax

Old 02-05-2012, 09:03 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Why do you have six browsers? And which six? I can only think of IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

I am a big believer in uninstalling software you won't use. It takes up disk space, pollutes the Windows registry, increases the odds of incompatibility over time, and makes it harder to upgrade Windows in the future.

Browsers can serve as "carriers" for malware. Search toolbars, plug-ins, etc. are all potential vulnerabilities. The more of these you have, the greater the risk.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why do you have six browsers? And which six? I can only think of IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.
There are dozens (if not hundreds) of browsers out there.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
There are dozens (if not hundreds) of browsers out there.
Because of open source, I see this could easily be true. But why would a casual PC user want to go beyond the big 3 or 4?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Because of open source, I see this could easily be true. But why would a casual PC user want to go beyond the big 3 or 4?
Because this is America and people can do what they want to (within reason).

Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 PM

18,537 posts, read 55,453,855 times
A lot of programs want to "call home" regularly, or do automatic updates, and other nonsense, OUTSIDE of the browser. Adobe update is just one. There is a large potential for security, malware, adware, and spyware issues, there is a waste of resources, and I would strongly discourage any customer from going overboard with such programs. It sometimes seems that programs are beginning to had attention deficit disorder, paying more attention to personal upkeep than usefulness to the user.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or