U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 AM

10,362 posts, read 7,738,197 times
Default All-in-One Computers

I searched for any discussions of all-in-one computers...where all the works are in the screen and there's no separate CPU. I didnt find any posts, so I'm asking here what you all think of them.

My current Gateway desktop computer is 7+ years old and, although it seems to run ok (for the most part), I'm thinking about getting a new computer before this one dies.

These all-in-one computers seem to be the wave of the future. However, most of them come with wireless keyboards and mice. I dont have (and dont want) wireless connection. Is that a problem? Or should I just look for a regular computer?

I dont do gaming or special stuff. I just want a reliable desktop computer that I can use for email and internet.

If you couldnt already tell, I'm very computer stupid. I dont know a router from a gigabit. I've always managed to set up and load my new computers myself but I think I've just been lucky (and Gateway is designed for stupid people like me). So please be kind and use small words in your advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 08:49 AM

5,130 posts, read 5,583,691 times
They are actually not to bad. I am a picky b@st@rd who prefers to build his own PC but I have to admit they seem like a smart choice for novice users or those who want to keep things simple and on a budget assuming they need all the main components (monitor, keyboard/mouse/desktop).

My bro-in-law got one of the Dell Vostros as a Xmas gift and it looked pretty slick! He got the lower end model with an AMD CPU and 4GB RAM and Windows 7 but it ran just fine.

You can always use your own keyboard mouse as it does have USB ports.
One thing I would recommend, if you decided to get one that comes with 64-bit Windows 7 is to have them bump up the RAM to 8GB.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:04 AM

Thanks so much for the advice, Turco!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM

5,186 posts, read 5,517,063 times
iMacs offer the most versatility. They do Windows and Mac OSX.
21 and 27 inch screens.
new product line is rumored to be announced in March. Si if mac is an option i would wait a month or so.

I've had my iMac since 2007 and it is still chugging away like a champ.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 AM

So I could have a Mac and use Firefox on it?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 AM

11,906 posts, read 11,392,760 times
The all-in-ones typically have wireless keyboards and mice because these systems are designed to have as little wiring clutter as possible. They may have ports for conventional keyboards and mice, but you better check before you buy if this is important to you.

For many people, the all-in-ones are a good choice. The biggest problem I see is that if one component fails, your entire computer is out of service until it is repaired.

You might consider buying a model with a touch screen. Windows 8 will take advantage of touch screens and it might be nice to have that choice when Win 8 comes out.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 AM

Thanks, hoffdano!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:13 AM

5,130 posts, read 5,583,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Thanks so much for the advice, Turco!
You are quite welcome. I have to agree with those who mentioned the cons of all-in-one PCs. One component craps out and you need to have it services in order to use it then the whole thing is down and you got no computer! Very similar to laptops, working on them or doing upgrades that are seemingly simple on a desktop, could be a daunting task especially for a non-tech savvy user. Apple iMacs might be a good option, I don't care for them but I would never speak against purchasing one to someone who might find them a better choice. If I were you, I would visit an Apple store and check them out to see how you like them. May be PC all-in-ones are a better buy money wise or perhaps you are more used to a PC but it is always wise to consider and test drive all the suitable options -IF- you have no preference.

Yes, you can use Firefox, it is supported by both Apple and Windows and so is a few others (Safari, Opera, etc.).

The Dell Vostro I mentioned was also a touchscreen but my bro in-law didn't care for it for some reason. Wireless works really well though so you might give the wireless mouse/keyboard a shot first. When you decide on buying whatever make/type, I advice you get one of the higher end models. It doesn't make sense to go with a lower end model if the top model is only $200-$300 more and you are planning on keeping the PC until it craps out. If you are not hardware savvy, getting an extended coverage might be sensible too.

Good luck.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 AM

Thanks again, Turco! I should have mentioned that I'm willing to spend thousands of $$$, if necessary, for a top-quality computer. I dont do gaming or watch movies or anything fancy...but I want a reliable computer that will be fast, fast, fast.

I love my old Gateway but, as it's aging and as I've downloaded more programs, it's getting slower and slower (even though I clean it out regularly). I shouldnt complain, though -- I move a lot slower in my old age too.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 PM

12,616 posts, read 12,785,117 times
I don't know about the PC, but on the iMac the mouse and keyboard don't communicate with the computer via Wi-Fi, but via Bluetooth. It means that you don't have to have Wi-Fi to use the mouse and the keyboard. At the same time, the iMac can connect to your network at home via Wi-Fi or Ethernet (wired or wireless).

I can only assume that the PC works the same way.

P.S. Bluetooth is a signal between the computer, the keyboard, and mouse only. Wi-Fi is used only between the computer and the network. Both are completely different from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers