U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 AM

433 posts, read 1,153,672 times

Advertisements

When I stream movies online or when I play a DVD on my laptop, the quality of the video decreases when I put in full-screen mode. When it's in the standard mode, it's either decent or perfect, but when I put it in full-screen to the size of my screen, the quality goes down. Any way I can fix this? Any software I can download to fix it? Or is it meant to just be this way?

I want to get the best movie-watching experience possible. Do you guys watch small-screen movies and does it affect your enjoyment of the film? Should I get used to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 PM

7,376 posts, read 13,033,199 times
The bigger the screen the higher the resolution of the video has to be to look "clear"

This is why the Pixels matter. You will see things like 480p, 720p, 1080p. They offer more pixels which make the video clearer. Unfortunately they only thing you can do is find a video with better resolution.

Thats why it looks grainy when you play full screen.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Thats why it looks grainy when you play full screen.
First thing to do is use the *native* resolution of your screen.
This is the resolution that is *suggested/recommended* in the video resolution window when you set up your computer.
Mine is set to 1920x1080 for my external LCD 27 inch monitor and 1366x768 for the built in laptop screen.

Next is the initial quality of the movie you have streamed.

I have Netflix, and I watch it on the large screen, and some movies look really crappy while others are so clear and sharp, you can see the dirt under the finger nails ...

Old 02-09-2012, 01:22 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
There is couple of reasons it's not going to look that great. First and foremost you can't shine a turd. Most of the online offerings for free from places like youtube are typically low resolution low bitrate junk. Even the "HD" offerings from some pay services really aren't much better than SD.

As far as the DVD goes this is standard frame capture from DVD in all it's glory, that's it, it's no bigger than this. Note the comb lines on the lights, this is important, it's called interlaced video:

You're video player has to expand this to fit the screen and a lot of DVD video and video from camcorders is interlaced. Iterlaced video looks fantasctic on SD TV which is designed for this type of video. Not so good on modern progressive displays like a monitor. Thge interlacing is actually two frames of video 1/60 of second each. The reason there is such a wide width of comb lines is becsue the lights are moving very fast.

How good this will look on computer monitor will vary widely depending on what software you are using and how you have it set up. For example some programs may just throw one filed or half the frame away but there are better methods.

Best player I ever used was powerDVD.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Bottom line though is any DVD should be crystal clear on your laptop provided you have everything set properly as irman pointed out.

I've never seen a laptop that came with a DVD player show anything less then a perfect picture at recommended resolution.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:58 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Bottom line though is any DVD should be crystal clear on your laptop provided you have everything set properly as irman pointed out.

I've never seen a laptop that came with a DVD player show anything less then a perfect picture at recommended resolution.
I respectfully disagree. Any monitor with more than 720*480 pixels is going to have to stretch the DVD picture to go full screen. I have a number of 1680 * 1050 native LCDs and DVDs are definitely not crystal clear in full screen.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:51 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I respectfully disagree. Any monitor with more than 720*480 pixels is going to have to stretch the DVD picture to go full screen. I have a number of 1680 * 1050 native LCDs and DVDs are definitely not crystal clear in full screen.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I had one of the first DVD drives in my computer and it ran on a crappy computer. But the software like WMP scales the picture to create a good picture when a true DVD is run on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers