U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:12 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,506,126 times

Advertisements

Perhaps instead of a refill, recycle your empty cartridges & purchase dirt cheap from Laser Monks, Real Savings. Real Monks. Supporting Real People.. Yep, they're real monks. Yep, cheapest generic cartridges (& genuine Epson) available for many printers.

I've been purchasing from them for 8-yrs & only once got an iffy cartridge, meaning at 20% full, I couldn't use it any longer as pages were streaky. I normally run it down to as close to 0% as possible, basically when my printer stops working & insists I install a new cartridge. I go through about 6-8 cartridges/yr., so in 48-64 cartridges to have 1 dud isn't bad. My Epson cartridges alone run $24 retail for color & $15 for b/w & I get them for $6-8 at LM, so I've saved a bundle.

I have 2 Epson inkjets & a Brother inkjet & have never had trouble with replacement generics for any printer. LM now even offers their own coffee, which I think is expensive, even in Starbucks prices, but someday I'll give it a whirl, since they've saved me so much $ over the past 8-yrs. By the way, their profits go to community outreach, including children's retreats for those with life-threatening illnesses, women's shelters & assistance to the poor communities from countries where the coffee is purchased. They also offer free postage-paid envelopes to recycle your cartridges & all $ is donated to children's charities, so you get inexpensive replacements to your benefit & only need to walk to a mailbox to recycle for the benefit of others.

Have fun... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,373 times
Default Filling HP cartridges

I have been refilling LEXMARK ink jet cartridges for a few years, now I have a chance to buy a HP ink jet [ cant remember the number] What I want to find out is, is there any special way to refill the cartridges.. With my Lexmark, it was not all that bad, and I became pretty good at it. I never wore gloves, and kept my hands pretty clean.. My point is this What is the procedure to refill a HP cartridge. I understand about the hole drilling, but is there anything else I should know? Thanks and please this is my e mail address I will never find this forum again <BG> m.wice@comcast.net

Old 11-11-2007, 04:54 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,504,209 times
Refilling your cartridges is pretty simple, particularly the black cartridge. I've done it on both Lexmark and HP printers.
Just buy a good refill kit, I think you can get some decent ones at Target.

If you do a lot of printing refilling will save you a lot of money.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:45 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,568,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I have a Mac (G-4) hooked up to an HP psc 1350 printer (it's also a scanner and copier). It's an inkjet printer with replaceable cartridges.
Recently, I have been printing much and the ink runs out quickly. I have saved the empty cartridges (both black and color) and would like to refill them myself. Has anyone done this? I assume it's a simple procedure, but would like to avoid any problems. I'm interested in any tips and/or advice on how to refill cartridges.
It's so easy a "Caveman can do it"
All you do is buy a Universal Ink Cartridge kit; from Walmart or any other store that sell it. follow the instructions.The hole/port that you drill open or pry open may vary in position depending on the cartridge, draw thw ink up into the syringe and slowly inject into the hole until you fell resistance and you'll see an slight overflow, stop, plug the hole back up, allow to gry,
Note: Please do not touch the sensor on the cartridge, it will mess it up and you'll have to buy a new one. Use latex gloves, and do it over a stainless steel sink, or paper,. plastic, be innovative. I ran out of black ink once and couldn't find the kit (sold out) I used the dark blue and it works fine it's different.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:26 PM

15,208 posts, read 10,720,864 times
I buy my cartridges from DVD R Media,DVD-R Media,DVD-RW,DVD+R Media,DVD+RW,Buy Blank DVD Media,Dual Layer,DL DVD R Media,DVD-RAM,CD-R,CDR,CD-RW,DVDR,CD DVD R Media Storage Online Shop,CD DVD Labels,CD DVD Burner,DVD Drive,Ink Toner,Ink Cartridges,Pen Drives for my Canon 5000, and 560......

Old 11-12-2007, 05:26 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,668,108 times
Default Printer Warranty

Be careful about using refilled cartridges. Some manufactures' warranties are invalid if you use refills. HP used to have that rule, not sure anymore, but it's best to check it out.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:30 PM

15,208 posts, read 10,720,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Be careful about using refilled cartridges. Some manufactures' warranties are invalid if you use refills. HP used to have that rule, not sure anymore, but it's best to check it out.
Your Printer Warranty and You

A legitimate concern of many people is whether using generic or remanufactured cartridges in their printer voids the printer's warranty. The answer is no. The following is a partial quote of the text of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act, which deals with this exact question:

MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY IMPROVEMENT ACT

United States Code Annotated

Title 15 Commerce and Trade

Chapter 50 Consumer Product Warranties

15 Section 2032

... (c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection be waived by the commission if:

1) The warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.

In English, this means that no warranty may be voided by use of aftermarket products unless the manufacturer acquires a waiver that clearly shows such voidance would be in the public interest, or that their product will only function properly if the specified manufacturer parts are used.

There is one catch, however: the manufacturer (in this case your printer manufacturer) is not compelled to repair their product under warranty if damage done to the product occurred as a direct result of using aftermarket parts. In other words, using generic cartridges is fine, and if your printer ever fails under conditions which have nothing to do with the cartridge you are using, no problem. However, if the damage is directly caused (however unlikely) by the use of a generic cartridge, the warrantor may elect not to repair it, although the warranty would remain in effect for all other warranty issues.

Conclusion

In general, aftermarket generic and new compatible or remanufactured printer cartridge products are an excellent way to cut significant costs from your every day small business or personal printing expense, while maintaining quality printing results. Those who need extremely high quality printing (such as photographers and artists) can, with a little trial-and-error testing of different generic cartridge products, find a product which provides the quality results you need.

In all cases, be sure to buy your cartridges from an online supplier who 100% guarantees their product without question, and isn't afraid to answer your questions when it comes to the quality and reliability of their products.

Written by David Amerman also published by About.com

Old 11-20-2007, 07:27 AM

604 posts, read 4,333,049 times
I too, have a HP all in one, which I have refilled the black ink several times, one time it didn't work so I had to buy a new one. If you call HP directly they will overnight refills for the same price as the store (saves me a trip).

I default my printer to fast draft, black ink only for all prints unless I change otherwise. Kids were using all the color ink on Dora the Explorer. Can;t see much quality difference for everyday printing.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
Yes, I have done that. Just use latex gloves and do it in a sink in case you have any ink drops. I have an HP All in one Desk jet and refilling it is not a problem. I have been using the same cartridge for over 2 years now.

PLEASE NOTE: The refill has to happen as soon as you are going out of ink. If it is already empty, the internal part of the cartridge starts to dry out and the refill may not work as well (if at all). So I do not know if the refill will work for you since you said you already have the cartridges empty. Give it a try.

Note: Do not do it when you have guests in the house. Walking to the bathroom sink with latex gloves raises questions.
I need help refilling hp 920 & 920xl cartridges. I have tried using the method I have used for Canon printers (drilling a hole in the top of the storage chamber & then sealing with hot glue) & have also purchased a refill system with an individual refill for each color. Neither method works very well. I don't know if I'm doing something incorrectly or if I should go back to the Canon line or another printer. Can you suggest someone to help me? Jeannie

Old 02-28-2011, 08:54 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,681,788 times
Not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers