U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Reputation: 5589

Advertisements

After removing the card from the PC, spray a touch of tri-flow in the opening of the picture posted by coalman which might do wonder. All you need is a drop or two and be careful not to spray it elsewhere.
Clean excess with a Q-tip. Tri-flow is a good metal lubricant that is also plastic/rubber friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 PM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,998,031 times
Reputation: 1114
Yeah I second the 3n1, be very cautious with this. Thicker stuff can be an issue. I would use a toothpick to try to apply, very small amt. I must also warn that you need to be prepared for plan B if you find the fan starts to fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Wilsonville, OR
1,262 posts, read 1,898,078 times
Reputation: 2326
Small, very high RPM fans are always going to be noisy; that's just the way of it. The fan on my dual-GPU GTX295 is the loudest thing in my whole computer by far. It's almost as bad as that tiny Delta fan I had back in 2001.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,395,649 times
Reputation: 14342
Is 3 in 1 better to lubricate a shaft than WD-40? Shaft lubrication is a pressing concern, I was thinking you could spray WD-40 onto a Q-Tip and use it to apply it. Seems like it would be easier to control the amount used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 12:16 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Is 3 in 1 better to lubricate a shaft than WD-40? Shaft lubrication is a pressing concern, I was thinking you could spray WD-40 onto a Q-Tip and use it to apply it. Seems like it would be easier to control the amount used.
WD-40 is water based and is prone to attract water/moisture and doesn't last long because of that. Even as a lubricant it does only an OK job, imo. 3 in 1 oil doesn't loosen up rusty, tight nuts and bolts but work better as a lubricant but typically for metal on metal application. Tri-Flow is different than 3 in 1 and, it doesn't attract water and it holds up much longer as a lubricant then WD-40, it is also a better lubricant when used on metal on plastic surfaces. It is costlier than WD-40 or liquid wrench junk for a reason.

Another option could be white lithium grease, a lot less runny, last long and hell of a lubricant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 12:34 PM
 
40,209 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Reputation: 16749
I used hair clipper oil last time I did it, still going good a month later. Stands to reason it will work well for this purpose. You need something heavier than wd-40 and light enough for the high speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 AM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,998,031 times
Reputation: 1114
Silicone type lubes can work well for many things also, especially near electronics, but w/ these tiny high RPM fans you have to be careful not to throw something "out of spec" so to speak. You do need decent penetration and ability to deal w/ friction. I sometimes use a silicone/petroleum type lube w/ something thinner like 3n1 to act as a carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Reputation: 9219
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
WD-40 is water based and is prone to attract water/moisture and doesn't last long because of that. Even as a lubricant it does only an OK job, imo. 3 in 1 oil doesn't loosen up rusty, tight nuts and bolts but work better as a lubricant but typically for metal on metal application. Tri-Flow is different than 3 in 1 and, it doesn't attract water and it holds up much longer as a lubricant then WD-40, it is also a better lubricant when used on metal on plastic surfaces. It is costlier than WD-40 or liquid wrench junk for a reason.

Another option could be white lithium grease, a lot less runny, last long and hell of a lubricant.
WD40 is not water based. It is still a petroleum (mineral oil) based product. It is designed to displace water (it has alcohol in it). If WD40 were water based it would evaporate quickly. The alcohol in it absorbs water and carries it away.

Any grease is too thick for use on a high speed part like a computer fan.

Any lubricant needs to match the viscosity to the speed of the moving parts. That's why a sewing machine uses oil, not grease. A grease won't flow either, so it won't get into a bearing unless you can disassemble it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
WD40 is not water based. It is still a petroleum (mineral oil) based product. It is designed to displace water (it has alcohol in it). If WD40 were water based it would evaporate quickly. The alcohol in it absorbs water and carries it away.

Any grease is too thick for use on a high speed part like a computer fan.

Any lubricant needs to match the viscosity to the speed of the moving parts. That's why a sewing machine uses oil, not grease. A grease won't flow either, so it won't get into a bearing unless you can disassemble it.
Yeah, I goofed, it is not made out of water, obviously. I meant more watery, it is too thin and runny since only 15% of it is light lubricating oil. It is more of a cleaner than a true lubricant so it would not be suitable for this type of task imo. If I needed a penetrating lubricant to loosen rusty, corroded nuts and bolts, then I would go with PB Blaster anyhow. WD40 provides light lubrication (15% oil) and for a short period. If you are telling me WD would lubricate better and longer lasting than a true lubricator like Tri-Flow then I disagree.
No real mechanic that I know prefers WD40 as a lubricant over the more proper and effective stuff.

Quote:
The alcohol in it absorbs water and carries it away
A liquid cleaner/lubricant like WD40 is more likely to run off than stay in place. If it does stay in place then so will the water it would attract, no?

Grease is too thick? Funny how some of the fastest moving parts like ball-bearings in automotive are always packed in grease. If it will be used in a closed/concealed section, it is a much better choice but as mentioned before, the person has to use only a touch, a thin layer. Sure the fan is moving fast but it's light weight so the load is low.
As CDusr mentioned, silicon based film like lubricants would probably be the best for moving non-concealed parts but I also consider the type of materials the lubricant would be used on. Some of those so-called lubricant do harden or eat away the plastic & rubber type materials.

I personally would not use or recommend WD40 for this task.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-18-2012 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 04:38 AM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,998,031 times
Reputation: 1114
The issue w/ "thickness" here would be penetration and causing drag. On a tiny fan like this it takes very little to damage it's ability to function w/in specification. You can end up w/ a situation much like adding too much salt to a dish. (kinda hard to take it back out again... LOL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top