U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:15 AM

40,077 posts, read 48,987,760 times

Advertisements

All of a sudden when using the printer this weekend it came up with a notice "spooler subsystem" has encountered a problem and needs to close.
It's a HP1020 Laser and our system is a Windows XP. It's also connected to a HP PSC 500 printer. We've had this setup for over 5 years with no problems and now this happened. Though when it's shut down and then restarted it will print one sheet from the last known subject to be printed.
We called HP directly (Phillipines) yesterday and spent 6 hours with them. They had us do everything they thought was possibly wrong including un-installing and then re-installing the system. Nothing changed so they concluded that it was a Microsoft problem and to call them.

Before we call Microsoft has anyone experienced this problem and does anyone have an idea what's going on. Thankyou in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,496,279 times
The spooler is the print spooler. It's what accepts the job from the application and sends (spools) it to the printer. Your printer is fine - I'm surprised that HP spend any time, much less that much, with you on it.

Sounds like something in your OS is hosed. Rebooting, or just restarting the spooler service, usually solves most problems with it. If that's not doing it, then you probably either have a corrupt system file or two, or there's a software conflict somewhere that's hosing it up. If you've recently installed anything new, uninstall it and try again. If you haven't, then you might want to consider upgrading to a newer PC, or reinstalling XP from scratch on the existing one.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:34 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,613,958 times
How about the easy approach before you reinstall Windows or buy a new PC ().

Follow the steps on this page: How to clear the print spool

Six hours? You should have come here first. BTW, even though I picked on swagger about it there is the possiblity that you might need to repair Windows, and if that doesn't work, reinstall. I'm not a fan of knee-jerk system reinstalls.

If clearing the spooler doesn't work let us know. I (or someone) will walk you through repairing Windows.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,723,818 times
I had this happen on a co workers laptop. Nothing I did would fix it. You could reinstall the printer and it would error once you clicked on print. Clearing the spooler worked the same, it errored once you clicked on Print.

After an hour of troubleshooting and getting nowhere, I ran Malwarebytes on the laptop. It found a couple of dozen malicious programs which I let it remove. Lo and behold, the printer started working again.

If the other suggestion here don't work, download, install and run Malwarebytes.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Good advice

Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM

I did the Malwarebytes and it showed no defects or corrupted files..

Old 02-14-2012, 06:44 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,846,836 times
After you update it, make sure to use only FULL SCAN with Malwarebytes as per my unofficial testing, on an infected system, both the flash and the quick scan missed pretty much all the infected files/registry keys that the FULL scan caught!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
All of a sudden when using the printer this weekend it came up with a notice "spooler subsystem" has encountered a problem and needs to close.
It's a HP1020 Laser and our system is a Windows XP. It's also connected to a HP PSC 500 printer. We've had this setup for over 5 years with no problems and now this happened. Though when it's shut down and then restarted it will print one sheet from the last known subject to be printed.
Please provide a bit more detail:
This is an XP machine connected to these printers via a USB cable? Ethernet? Rubber band?
Are both print devices connected to this PC at the same time? If so, can you disconnect the one not in use and try to print to see.

Also bear in mind, "%systemroot%\system32\spool\PRINTERS" will only show the print jobs if the printer is a local printer (USB/Parallel connection), if this printer is connected via Ethernet controlled by a print server or shared from another PC, then it will likely to (temporarily) store the print jobs in "%systemroot%\system32\spool\SERVERS" directory.

Take a look at the often overlooked Event Viewer to see if anything was logged either under SYSTEM or APPLICATION. If there is a problem with drivers or service, it will likely to appear under SYSTEM logs:
START > RUN > (type) eventvwr.msc > OK

Most HP printers I've messed with used additional (proprietary) services on top of the Windows Print Spooler service so if they were stopped/disabled, print jobs would also not be processed. Typically, re-installing its drivers resolves this issue.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-14-2012 at 06:57 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 PM

Did you ever stop and restart the spooler then delete all the files?

Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Did you ever stop and restart the spooler then delete all the files?
I've stopped and started the computer a dozen times, ran a full Malware scan which took over an hour and it showed no defective or infected files.

I have 2 printers connected to this XP computer. #1 printer is a B&W HP 1020Laser Jet printer and is the printer that the spooler error prompt comes up. When this particular printer is on the computer goes into an automatic reboot over and over and the spooler error keeps comming up. When this printer is turned off the computer works normally.

Printer #2 is a HP PSC 500 color inkjet and works (prints) fine, no error prompts.

Have to sleep on what everyone is suggesting tonight and start fresh tomorrow, Thankyou to all that are trying to help, it is greatly appreciated and informative.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 PM

But did you delete the files? Starting and stopping the spooler does no good if you don't delete the spooler files, which are the real problem, usually.

Quote:
Also bear in mind, "%systemroot%\system32\spool\PRINTERS" will only show the print jobs if the printer is a local printer (USB/Parallel connection), if this printer is connected via Ethernet controlled by a print server or shared from another PC, then it will likely to (temporarily) store the print jobs in "%systemroot%\system32\spool\SERVERS" directory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or