U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:44 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,100,148 times

Advertisements

OK, once again I have eight files burned onto my DVD. None can be played. Whenever I stick in a DVD that can be played off the DVD drive, I get the option "play", I do not have that option...Also, what's this verify mode that is used whenever the imgburn is finished burning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 PM

This is so much BULL****. If you know all of this fancy computer but do not even know how to copy a God Damn DVD, DO NOT come on this forum. I JUST SPENT 5 HOURS TRYING TO MAKE ONE SINGLE BACK UP DVD FOR FOUR HOME VIDEOS. NOTHING WORKED!!! NOBODY RESPONDED TO MY QUESTIONS! THE SOFTWARE MADE NO SENSE. I COULD NOT TURN OFF THE "READ-ONLY" OPTION NO MATTER WHAT. NOBODY KNOWS NOTHING. I did everything that was suggested. tried out the imgburn software, copied to TEMP folders, tried copying directly. ALWAYS A GOD DAMN PROBLEM!!! NOW I THINK I RUINED AT LEAST 8 DIFFERENT DVDS TRYING TO DO SOME SIMPLE TASK THAT NO ONE COULD GIVE A RESPONSE TO. WTF **** YOU ALL!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,304,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
This is so much BULL****. If you know all of this fancy computer but do not even know how to copy a God Damn DVD, DO NOT come on this forum. I JUST SPENT 5 HOURS TRYING TO MAKE ONE SINGLE BACK UP DVD FOR FOUR HOME VIDEOS. NOTHING WORKED!!! NOBODY RESPONDED TO MY QUESTIONS! THE SOFTWARE MADE NO SENSE. I COULD NOT TURN OFF THE "READ-ONLY" OPTION NO MATTER WHAT. NOBODY KNOWS NOTHING. I did everything that was suggested. tried out the imgburn software, copied to TEMP folders, tried copying directly. ALWAYS A GOD DAMN PROBLEM!!! NOW I THINK I RUINED AT LEAST 8 DIFFERENT DVDS TRYING TO DO SOME SIMPLE TASK THAT NO ONE COULD GIVE A RESPONSE TO. WTF **** YOU ALL!!!

i just skipped to the end of this thread to write a response telling you exactly what you need, as i do this very same thing. that was until i read this post.

wow.

good luck!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 AM

Alright guys...I am really sorry that I went off. I was just SOOOOO frustrated from spending five hours getting nothing accomplished. I posted the above post in a moment of anger. That's all, nothing personal. I apologize for posting that.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 AM

40,211 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Start over, I'm pretty sure it's authored disc but lets make sure. Open the disc in My Computer and see if there is folder called VIDEO_TS. If you don;t see this folder post what files and folders you do see.

Another question I have is how are you producing these discs? DVD recorder?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 PM

OK. Thanks for forgiving me, the coalman. Anyway, the tapes are originally VHS tapes from the 1980's that were taken from a home videocamera. I converted those tapes using VHStoDVD software from Honestech. I put them on a DVD+RW since my DVD drive is a +. Anyway, when I open that new DVD to copy it, it does have a folder called VIDEO_TS. Does this mean it is authored? What does authored mean?

Anyway, I just found out that my computer came with SONIC software that has a simple user friendly option to copy DVD. I was able to copy one DVD (one video) at a time. However, if I tried to put a second video (from a separate DVD) onto the same DVD, it would write over thee first video. I have more than enough space for more videos on one DVD, but the software will just write over any original recording. I really would like to put all four videos on one DVD.

Finally, my DVD+R are one time recordable, correct? Can I simply erase the discs and start over? Or are they ruined?

Thecoalman. Thanks for responding. I really am sorry that I got so frustrated over this. Thanks.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,304,192 times
Quote:
. Anyway, when I open that new DVD to copy it, it does have a folder called VIDEO_TS. Does this mean it is authored? What does authored mean?
Yes, the disc is authored. Its a "finalized" version that can be played by a set-top DVD player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr
Anyway, I just found out that my computer came with SONIC software that has a simple user friendly option to copy DVD. I was able to copy one DVD (one video) at a time. However, if I tried to put a second video (from a separate DVD) onto the same DVD, it would write over thee first video. I have more than enough space for more videos on one DVD, but the software will just write over any original recording. I really would like to put all four videos on one DVD.
With the video_Ts folder, your video is in the .vob format. Not all programs can work with this. The absolute best home program, and what I use, is a software program called VideoRedo; google it. Its $100, but will let you splice together all the .vob files from various folders to creat one movie. It will also let you create a DVD menu for selecting which video you'd like to play, and it can create chapter lists. it will also do container swaps and can re-encode to various formats. Just take a look at their website for a complete list. They do have a free trial that may last long enough to complete all your videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr
Finally, my DVD+R are one time recordable, correct? Can I simply erase the discs and start over? Or are they ruined?
They are one-use only discs.

Lastly, no one is obligated to help with anything here. I hope you realize that now.

If you try VideoRedo and have problems figuring it out, send me a PM and I will walk you through it. Its super easy. I may not get back to you right away as i travel during the week, and will probably need to be in front of my computer.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
OK. Thanks for forgiving me, the coalman. Anyway, the tapes are originally VHS tapes from the 1980's that were taken from a home videocamera. I converted those tapes using VHStoDVD software from Honestech.

I'm going to give you some advice if you want to go back and start over, as I'm unfamiliar with this device I can't guarantee this is exactly accurate. As far as I can tell this is hardware based MPEG2 encoder. These devices typically use a bitrate of 6000kbps which is too low for noisy hand held home video from VHS. If that is what you have captured your video at I would recommend going back and redoing all of them because you can have better quality video.

From the FAQ I've determined there is advanced mode, get into this mode to determine what bitrate the video is being encoded at. You'll want to set this as high as it can go and make sure the resolution is set at 720*480.

From there save the files themselves to another drive, DVD or whatever and use them as your backups. You can use these in projects to create authored DVD's etc. Here's the directions from their site to obtain the files:

Quote:
If you are using the Advanced Mode, VHS to DVD™ will store all video files to the following default directory:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\VHS to DVD

Vista: C:\Users\\Documents\VHS to DVD

The default ‘save’ directory can be customized by changing the 'Output Folder' setting located in the "Record Settings" section of the Capture Screen.

The Easy Wizard Mode captures video to a temporary storage folder which is emptied upon completion of each recording.

Quote:
I put them on a DVD+RW since my DVD drive is a +. Anyway, when I open that new DVD to copy it, it does have a folder called VIDEO_TS. Does this mean it is authored? What does authored mean?
There is two types of DVD's, first you can have a data DVD where you would just burn any files to it like you would have files on your computer. The second is an authored DVD that has specifications to insure it will play in any standalone DVD player. There is specs for the file/folder structure, video format etc. It also gives you the ability to create menus and other things.

Just so you understand what went wrong before with imgburn, an ISO file cannot be played from your computer without special software. It's an exact copy of the disc and intended to be used to create a duplicate disc.

-------------

Last but not least if you wanted to rip just the video files themselves from the disc you can use Vob2MPG. This will strip out everything on the disc that makes it an authored DVD and give just a video file:

VOB2MPG 3.2.200 - VideoHelp.com Downloads

Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM

18,537 posts, read 55,453,855 times
LOL! I hope the mods let us keep the rant in the thread. Anyone who works with computers has had experiences and frustrations like this. You recovered nicely, but my point is that such outbursts are part and parcel to dealing with the increasing obfuscation that has replaced the previous holdback - the requirement to know arcane commands and details about the structure of the systems involved. Working with computers is frustrating at times.

I did a quick tutorial on how to make really decent looking DVDs using free software.

Chickpea Soup: Make your own DVDs

I'll respectfully disagree with coalman. An '80s video camera is going to give an nominal 525 lines from the NTSC signal, but in reality will only be around 300 lines of information. 640 x 480 will easily capture all the relevant data.

Working with video object files (VOBS) can be an exercise in frustration. It can be simpler and faster to start from scratch. The sothink program I suggest is pretty interesting in that it automatically looks at the total of the video segments you import and then figures out the compression ratio that will compress the least and still fit everything on a disk. Video Styler allows you to make some awesome menues and menu structures once you get the hang of it.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

I'll respectfully disagree with coalman. An '80s video camera is going to give an nominal 525 lines from the NTSC signal, but in reality will only be around 300 lines of information. 640 x 480 will easily capture all the relevant data.
But that's not valid resolution for DVD. It would have to either be scaled up or down anyway. Scaling should be avoided especially if you're going up. As it's MPEG encoder designed for DVD chances are there isn't selection for 640*480 anyway. These are valid DVD resolutions for NTSC DVD:

720 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
704 x 480 pixels MPEG2
352 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Half-D1, same as the CVD Standard)
352 x 240 pixels MPEG2
352 x 240 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)

My experience has been that while 352*480 is nearly as good as 720*480 it's not quite as good. I use a Canopus DV encoder which is set resolution of 720*480 so my testing has been minimal on few other cheaper devices I have owned. Also keep in mind if they are S-VHS tapes , recorded on S-VHS machine and played from S-VHS machine the resolution is higher than standard VHS o you most certainly want to use 720X480 in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers