Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,797,076 times

Advertisements

Not tech savvy at all, but not a complete Luddite either. Today when I got home I noticed that several of my emails came up as gibberish--maybe about 5 of them. My dd said that she has seen that on some websites and I noticed that when I got on here, one of the thread titles was gibberish also, but only one. I have an apple and have never had problems with it before, and I'm only seeing this on the internet, not on anything that's just in my computer.

I'm wondering if it's related to the fact that I've gotten several emails from contacts that were just links. The first time I got one it was from someone I knew and not thinking, I opened it up and immediately recognized it as something bad so closed it out right away. That was at least 3 months ago, and nothing bad happened at that time. Then I got several more of those types of things--all people on my church district mailing list. Today as I was puzzling over the gibberish emails I got one of those weird link emails from my dd and she denied sending it so I deleted it and emptied out the trash. My other dd said her email account got hacked into.

I did shut it down and when I went back into email, I saw that the gibberish emails were normal again but there is still the problem of some websites looking like that. I'm wondering how one knows if they have a virus or if they've been hacked? Or if it's something else I've not heard of before. I generally try to stay off weird websites but can't answer 100% for the teenage dd's. Oh yeah, and when I stick on smileys or a link to a website on here, it just comes up as type, not the little picture or the nicer, neater link. Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times
I am not a Mac guy at all but from what you described and what I hear could sometimes happen on Macs, my guess is that one or more fonts on your system could be corrupt.

The reason I mentioned corrupt fonts is according to my Apple-savvy co-worker, one of the things that can go bad on Macs is the fonts getting corrupted once in a while and he uses (paid) TechTools software to fix it.

I am sure one of the Mac experts will chime in on this soon so hold on tight.

Either way, good luck.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I am not a Mac guy at all but from what you described and what I hear could sometimes happen on Macs, my guess is that one or more fonts on your system could be corrupt.

The reason I mentioned corrupt fonts is according to my Apple-savvy co-worker, one of the things that can go bad on Macs is the fonts getting corrupted once in a while and he uses (paid) TechTools software to fix it.

I am sure one of the Mac experts will chime in on this soon so hold on tight.

Either way, good luck.
LOL, I will then. But that does help some. BTW, I just got another one of those weird emails from my dd--do you think that has anything to do with the fonts or would you think it's unrelated?

Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
Are the symbols unrecognizable or is it in latin?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Have you tried a different browser?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
if you are using Mac Mail: <preferences><fonts & colors> make sure that the selected fonts are active on your system.

if that doesn't work, maybe try to clear your font cache. How-To Clear Your Mac's Font Cache | Mac|Life

Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Are the symbols unrecognizable or is it in latin?
Either the symbols are unrecognizable or they look like cyrillic or they look like 2 different fonts all crowded together. But, that problem seems to have resolved. However, I got a third weird email link from my dd's email. We both have yahoo mail. I've just been deleting them when I get them and then I empty the trash asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers