U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 AM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times

Advertisements

After removal of a rogue, I generally consider the computer clean if a) it runs OK, b) full virus can comes up clean, AND c) full malware scan comes up clean. You can obviously do what you want, but that's how I determine if a machine is clean. Of course, I've only been at it for ~28 years, so maybe I've still got some learning to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've only been at it for ~28 years, so maybe I've still got some learning to do.
They (bad guys) are at it day and night trying to come up with new, more creative and effective malicious software, my friend and because of that, WE all still have more learning to do as long as WE are using a computer and connecting to WWW.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
They (bad guys) are at it day and night trying to come up with new, more creative and effective malicious software, my friend and because of that, WE all still have more learning to do as long as WE are using a computer and connecting to WWW.
Oh, I understand that, Turco. I meant what I said in deciding that a good scan with two different products was good enough to call it clean, based on many years of experience.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,998,031 times
Yeah there is a reasonable limit to checking. Then you want to monitor it. I find using another OS like Linux is a good idea, booting to a clean "live cd" environment to help detection. Using a sandbox should help tremendously. Avast has started using it and products like sandboxie by itself should prove very effective.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Oh, I understand that, Turco. I meant what I said in deciding that a good scan with two different products was good enough to call it clean, based on many years of experience.
Oh, my mistake. In that case, I do agree. If the user is not experiencing any of the 3 and 2 different scanners came up empty, it is time to bring out the brandy, light the cigar and continue surfing the web keeping fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Yeah there is a reasonable limit to checking. Then you want to monitor it. I find using another OS like Linux is a good idea, booting to a clean "live cd" environment to help detection. Using a sandbox should help tremendously. Avast has started using it and products like sandboxie by itself should prove very effective.
I have said it before once or twice, testing downloaded applications, opening unknown e-mails, attachments, etc. within a virtual machine that is not sharing any links with the host OS is the best and smartest way which is what I use.

Use a good browser with a few must-have security add-ons and use the VM occasionally for the above mentioned tasks and store important, personal data only on external drive(s) that you only turn on (or connect) when needed, then you really do not even need any 'real-time' scanners which I loath having on my systems.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 PM

379 posts, read 720,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
the keys on the keyboard have lost thier letters.
I've seen keyboard overlays in stores. Maybe they're made out of thin plastic. It looks like you lay it on top of your keyboard and then you have letters again.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Oh, my mistake. In that case, I do agree. If the user is not experiencing any of the 3 and 2 different scanners came up empty, it is time to bring out the brandy, light the cigar and continue surfing the web keeping fingers crossed.

I have said it before once or twice, testing downloaded applications, opening unknown e-mails, attachments, etc. within a virtual machine that is not sharing any links with the host OS is the best and smartest way which is what I use.

Use a good browser with a few must-have security add-ons and use the VM occasionally for the above mentioned tasks and store important, personal data only on external drive(s) that you only turn on (or connect) when needed, then you really do not even need any 'real-time' scanners which I loath having on my systems.
Yeah real-time is a bit old school reactionary so I also agree full VM would be great, but just sand boxing is easy and not something that is being targeted so it is beneficial. I see most coming in from browsers these days and they have gotten more sophisticated in their approaches.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 AM

5,819 posts, read 9,211,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
I've seen keyboard overlays in stores. Maybe they're made out of thin plastic. It looks like you lay it on top of your keyboard and then you have letters again.
That would be an idea. The way I am getting around it right now is by using a bluetooth keyboard for any typing work. The problem is I take this laptop out to client sites and it is cumbersome to carry an extra keyboard.

Speaking of keyboards, I forgot where I saw it (some technology show) but they have a "virtual keyboard" that uses light to project the keys on a desk surface and it works just like a regular key board- I thought it was pretty neat.

I can't believe these computer makers don't make their keyboard lettering more durable. I do some typing but not excessive use of the keyboard.

Like I mentioned though, there is the benefit of REALLY learning where the keys are......

Old 02-18-2012, 08:35 AM

5,819 posts, read 9,211,044 times
I stand corrected on my original post- Microsoft Security Essentials DID detect the virus. The warning popped up while I was using Malwarebytes an I thought THAT program had detected it.

This is what it was; Exploit:Win32/Pdfjsc.RF

Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Wartrace you might want to invest in a "soft" rollup kb.

As to the virus, do keep in mind that false positives can be very common. Some people actually mistakenly think this means the sw is doing it's job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or