U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:24 AM

5,835 posts, read 9,222,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Wartrace you might want to invest in a "soft" rollup kb.

As to the virus, do keep in mind that false positives can be very common. Some people actually mistakenly think this means the sw is doing it's job.
I would if I knew what a soft rollup kb was I am not an "I.T." type. (as you probably already know....) Is this something to do with Microsoft updates. I "think" kb is refering to "knowledge base" but I am puzzled about the rollup part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I stand corrected on my original post- Microsoft Security Essentials DID detect the virus. The warning popped up while I was using Malwarebytes an I thought THAT program had detected it.

This is what it was; Exploit:Win32/Pdfjsc.RF
Hmmm, according to this, both MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes should have detected and removed it.

Make sure both scanners are up-to-date then do a full scan. I like to use the scanners in Safe Mode if at all possible. In Safe Mode, the scanners typically do a much better job as often the malware would not be active. Also in Safe Mode, it allows logging on as Administrator account which is normally hidden.
It also is more effective to use the scanners under another account.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,079,990 times
I've had success with Avast. I just suggested MSE because it was getting to be popular. I personally don't thinks safe mode will help anymore, but it wouldn't hurt.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:27 AM

8,487 posts, read 6,000,723 times
Quote:
I would if I knew what a soft rollup kb was I am not an "I.T." type. (as you probably already know....) Is this something to do with Microsoft updates. I "think" kb is refering to "knowledge base" but I am puzzled about the rollup part.
LOL, Yes kb is indeed used this way, as well.

This is to what I was referring.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I've had success with Avast. I just suggested MSE because it was getting to be popular. I personally don't thinks safe mode will help anymore, but it wouldn't hurt.
Imho, Avast was very popular and still a very good choice as well. Safe Mode is effective when the infected account is a regular user profile/account with limited access to the system resources, then using another account with Admin level access in Safe Mode should easily eradicate the malicious software. Regardless of the account type, it also helps against ransom-ware type infection.

Safe Mode doesn't do diddly against rootkit and bootkit type infections, however.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM

5,144 posts, read 11,041,936 times
Quote:
I did a very stupid thing the other day. I received an e-mail with a PDF "invoice" attached. I clicked the PDF and it wouldn't open, it had an error message.

I then started to get worried so I googled "PDF Virus" and learned that it is a popular way to spread malware/trojons or whatever.

I only have Adobe reader installed on my system. I always keep it updated so I have the latest release. I read that this helps to prevent PDF infections.

I am currently using microsoft security essentials combined with "threatfire" (this combination was recommended by a PCworld writer). The reason I am using a "free" version of AV is it is still rated close to the paid for AV systems.

Neither of these programs detected the problem. I downloaded "Malwarebytes" and it caught a Win32PDF trojan and it allowed me to remove it. I was still not convinced so I followed a procedure recommended by this site;
Security Tango™

Specifically I used this procedure;
Security Tango™

This involved cleaning out all the temp files, downloading several different tools, rebooting into safe mode and running the tools. This procedure did not find anything wrong. (As I mentioned, the scan by Mawarebytes found one and removed it).

STILL not convinced entirely I downloaded the free versions of AVG antivirus and Avast anti-virus and scanned with each program. Neither of these found anything in their scans.

So, in summary I have scanned my system with eight different virus programs. One identified and claimed to have removed the threat. I ran that same program again after scanning with the other eight programs and it came up clean.

I am still concerned. My questions is, do you think the infection is gone or do I need to reformat? If I need to reformat I am thinking I would be better off just upgrading my laptop due to its age and performance issues. I would really like to hold off on any upgrade for a while due to cash flow though......
A nice cleaner is CCleaner from piriform. Its free. Just make sure you check the option to erase files less than 24 hours old AND use the multi wipe option to clean. It also cleans out your registry where things can hide. Virus or not it is just a nice cleaner to keep things running smooth. Check it out.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 AM

5,835 posts, read 9,222,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
LOL, Yes kb is indeed used this way, as well.

This is to what I was referring.
Ah HAH! Now it makes sense I saw a new keyboard development on a tech show that uses a "projected" image of a keyboard that uses light to image the keyboard on your desk and you just type the image keys and it works like a regular keyboard. Pretty neet.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,459 times
You can run your anti virus software again , if there has no trojan then will give you " no virus" message.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:41 AM

11,749 posts, read 11,317,384 times
To all the new members coming in and reading this thread:

The Original Poster had solved his problem. No further suggestions will help him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or