U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times

Advertisements

I am guessing you were clicking on the downloaded file from within the Firefox's download window. You will need to open the folder (directory) where Firefox saves the downloaded files. Default location is a new folder FF creates within your My Documents/Documents folder called "Downloads". You can see this folder from within FF by clicking on: Tools > Options > General tab. On this window, under Downloads section you can click on the "Browse.." button to open the folder location. There, locate the download file, right-click on it then left-click Properties (or you could hold down the ALT key and double-click on the file which would do the same):

Again, make sure that the account you were logged in with has Admin privileges on this system!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM

55 posts, read 128,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I am guessing you were clicking on the downloaded file from within the Firefox's download window. You will need to open the folder (directory) where Firefox saves the downloaded files. Default location is a new folder FF creates within your My Documents/Documents folder called "Downloads". You can see this folder from within FF by clicking on: Tools > Options > General tab. On this window, under Downloads section you can click on the "Browse.." button to open the folder location. There, locate the download file, right-click on it then left-click Properties (or you could hold down the ALT key and double-click on the file which would do the same).

I am guessing you were clicking on the downloaded file from within the Firefox's download window.
Yes, I was............

Let me try the above.
I just also turned my Windows Firewall off. (If that does or does not help)

So, when I have Flash for IE, and I need it when using Firefox, doesn't FF require a different installer?

I use FF and IE and both require Flash for many things.
I went to look at a political video on FF and it won't play.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:59 PM

You can see this folder from within FF by clicking on: Tools > Options > General tab

I can not find tools on FF 10.0.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 PM

I found this window that is called "options," and there is a "general tab," as you can see below.
Attached Thumbnails
I can not download Adobe Flash player.-ff-options.jpg  

Old 02-16-2012, 03:14 PM

Here is everything in the Mozilla FF folder in my Windows programs list.

There is a downloads folder, but it is empty.
Again this is within Windows local disk C:

I have right clicked on Firefox empty spaces, and all the down arrows, top left and right and see no "tools."
Attached Thumbnails
I can not download Adobe Flash player.-ff-folder.jpg  

Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,395,649 times
Still having problems installing it? The regular installer never works for me, either. I can download the installer but the installer always fails on me. I really don't understand why one has to download an installer which then downloads and installs the program.

At any rate, you can download the install package directly from Adobe. Here is a link to their forum with the link to do so:

Adobe Forums: Where can I find direct downloads of Flash Player 11 for Windows or Macintosh?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 PM

Well, "tools" was hidden.
I had to click on the orange Firefox button to reveal the hidden menu.
This is a new feature of FF 10.0, I guess.
I went to tools > options > general tab > browse > the download folder is empty.

The only access I appear to have, to the .exe file is in the download Window.

Also, I have found out that the website that needs to be "trusted" in IE security settings is:
http : // get.adobe dot com
and not
http : // www dot adobe dot com.

That might help download Flash using IE 9.0 and for IE 9.0.

But, as someone said:
1. If you want Flash for FF download using IE.
2. If you want Flash for IE download it using FF.
So, since I can not "run" the installer file from the FF download window, my choices may be to download Flash for IE, using IE.

Also, before I went from FF 6 to 10, I did not do a complete un-install.
Here is a detailed site that explains that you have to remove all bookmark, and profile files, and the article is about the "new" Firefox version 10.

Look on page 3, way down at how to un-install.
I guess I'll remove my FF completely and try again.
TweakGuides.com - Firefox Tweak Guide

Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM

This was the solution:
IE Tools > Internet Options > Content > Publisher > Untrusted Publishers > remove Adobe's certificate. After that IE 89.0 allowed the download from Adobe dot com.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suenjohn View Post
This was the solution:
IE Tools > Internet Options > Content > Publisher > Untrusted Publishers > remove Adobe's certificate. After that IE 89.0 allowed the download from Adobe dot com.
Sorry, I have forgotten to check back but it looks like you resolved it on your own? If indeed so, well done!

Yes, FF 9/10 has the Tools menu hidden by default, I am not sure why they did it this way either, copy-catting IE9 perhaps? Right-clicking on the top bar and selecting hidden menus will show them on the top.

On the download manager screenshot, the setting was set to "Ask me every time", to be able to click the Browse.. button to browse to the folder within Windows, you would have to change the option to above one that reads "Save files to" in order to click on the Browse. The fact that it was asking you every time it was downloading a file gives you the option to change the location so Downloads folder being empty could be a natural outcome of that option being selected. Again to make sure you can always find the downloads, pick a permanent folder of your choice. Default one should be within your user profile on Vista and 7.

You do not have to "trust" any web site to download from it but if you did enter a site/domain in the "Untrusted Publishers" list then IE blocking your download is normal but it wouldn't have stopped FF.
Normally, nothing is added to that site unless it was entered either manually or via some sort of a policy but the fact that you knew where to go look for and what to do leads me to believe you might have messed around before. I would leave those at their default setting, don't add anything to trusted unless it is really needed.

You might have the security settings a bit aggressive (overkill) in IE:
START > RUN > inetcpl.cpl ,6 > OK then scroll all the way down to the bottom where the "Security" section is and check the settings:

If you have Admin rights but something is still blocking you, my guess is that an additional security measure (blocking) in place applied by a program installed on this computer such as a AV Scanner or Internet Defense Suite, etc. You might want to try resetting IE settings back to default on the same tab.

Note: When experiencing issues with IE or believe there is a malware infection and you are installing Firefox as an alternate, make sure not to import settings from IE to Firefox when prompted by FF, this could inherently unwanted problems into FF.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-17-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 03:54 PM

Oh, I forgot, to answer your question about if different browsers use the same Adobe Flash software, no they do not. At least in regards to Firefox and IE. Internet Explorer Flash extension shows up as "Flash ActiveX" and Firefox Flash extension shows up as "Flash Plug-in" on Add-Remove Programs panel:

So, if IE is having Flash issues, you do not have to uninstall the entries listed for Firefox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers