U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Why stop there? It should be shut down forever. The internet is clearly only used for nefarious purposes and is of no benefit to anyone. Why, I've heard that it's been used for:

There has got to be someone in NC with a sense of humor (sarcasm doesn't count)!

Even though I was being silly, since you brought it up...your list was mainly list of conveniences that makes your life easier, I failed to see the amazing benefits that it brought to your life. People often ignore those easy-come perks in life or take them for granted. Families communicating over long distances cheaper due to what? Internet? Well, consider the purchase of a PC (and eventually a replacement one), upgrades and maintenance cost to it. Then don't forget the frustration, lost time and extra cost that comes with viral infections or other various computer problems where granny loses her mind and ends up getting a pro to help her out for a hefty charge which is often a half-baked fix anyhow. Yeah, she is saving a ton. I have Google Voice, calls in the continental US is free, do I make more calls to friends and family or less/about the same, guess which one? Why? Cause we take it for granted after a while instead of continue to take advantage of it.
Call me lazy but I at least am not a hypocrite! You make reservations online easily for a restaurant and that is awesome how? It would be much easier and faster for your to pick up the phone and call the restaurant, wouldn't it? Otherwise, turn the PC on, wait for it to come up then open the browser, open/find the restaurant's web page, login (or not) click this click that, type in some info...that is definitely faster and better. Makes life easier for an average man. I say 2-step forward, 3-step back.

If life got better because telecom/telcommunication prices being a lot less, sure it got better for some but for others who lost their job to outsourcing because inexpensive telecommunication costs caused outsourcing a viable choice for the greedy corporations which thought saving bucks to increase profits on short term was more logical than causing a snowball effect on unemployment and partially destroying the country's economy on the long run. What is next Wal-Mart is "oh so" wonderful because it has low prices?

Sure finding answers (to the point of cheating) for students and even tech wannabees on the Internet is seemingly brilliant, did it actually make anyone smarter or help them appear smarter, even only for a short while?
Are the students doing better? Are people using all that time they are saving by using these technologies in a productive way? Prior to invention of cell phones, how many people you know got in a collision due to driver(s) chatting on their cell or texting? With all these wonderful communication means, why do people seem less social and connected? Perhaps it is just me...talking out of my @ss. After all I do that often so ignore me if you tend to disagree with what I post. Heck, after a certain amount of time, I even disagree with half the stuff I post on here!

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-16-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,395,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
There has got to be someone in NC with a sense of humor (sarcasm doesn't count)!!
Straight text makes it a little different to tell when one is being sarcastic.

Quote:
Even though I was being silly, since you brought it up...your list was mainly list of conveniences that makes your life easier, I failed to see the amazing benefits that it brought to your life. People often ignore those easy-come perks in life or take them for granted. Families communicating over long distances cheaper due to what? Internet? Well, consider the purchase of a PC (and eventually a replacement one), upgrades and maintenance cost to it. Then don't forget the frustration, lost time and extra cost that comes with viral infections or other various computer problems where granny loses her mind and ends up getting a pro to help her out for a hefty charge which is often a half-baked fix anyhow. Yeah, she is saving a ton. I have Google Voice, calls in the continental US is free, do I make more calls to friends and family or less/about the same, guess which one? Why? Cause we take it for granted after a while instead of continue to take advantage of it.
Call me lazy but I at least am not a hypocrite! You make reservations online easily for a restaurant and that is awesome how? It would be much easier and faster for your to pick up the phone and call the restaurant, wouldn't it? Otherwise, turn the PC on, wait for it to come up then open the browser, open/find the restaurant's web page, login (or not) click this click that, type in some info...that is definitely faster and better. Makes life easier for an average man. I say 2-step forward, 3-step back.

If life got better because telecom/telcommunication prices being a lot less, sure it got better for some but for others who lost their job to outsourcing because inexpensive telecommunication costs caused outsourcing a viable choice for the greedy corporations which thought saving bucks to increase profits on short term was more logical than causing a snowball effect on unemployment and partially destroying the country's economy on the long run. What is next Wal-Mart is "oh so" wonderful because it has low prices?

Sure finding answers (to the point of cheating) for students and even tech wannabees on the Internet is seemingly brilliant, did it actually make anyone smarter or help them appear smarter, even only for a short while?
Are the students doing better? Are people using all that time they are saving by using these technologies in a productive way? Prior to invention of cell phones, how many people you know got in a collision due to driver(s) chatting on their cell or texting? With all these wonderful communication means, why do people seem less social and connected? Perhaps it is just me...talking out of my @ss. After all I do that often so ignore me if you tend to disagree with what I post. Heck, after a certain amount of time, I even disagree with half the stuff I post on here!
1. If making my life easier is not a benefit, then I don't know what is
2. Are you saying I am a hypocrite or was that just a general declarative?
3. The Internet doesn't make it any easier to cheat. When I was a young lad, I could have easily lifted entire passages from Encyclopedia Whateverica and my instructors would have been none the wiser. In fact, the Internet makes it easier to ferret out plagarists as one can simply do a search on suspect phrases.
4. I fracking hate cell phones, so you do not have to preach the evils of them to me! I will say, though, that there were car accidents before texting and I'd lay money that the percentage of accidents are about the same. Anyone who is dunderhead enough to text while driving would find some other distraction.
5. I am well aware of how to use the ignore function, thanks for the advice though. Apparently you don't appreciate disagreement or discourse so perhaps you should ignore me.
6. I don't know how people "seem" to you but they actually "seem" more connected to me. One could argue the meaning of connected until one is blue in the face, though.
7. Actually, I do appreciate WalMart for its low prices. I tend not to go there, though, because I don't appreciate the crowds. So paying extra money by going to Joe Smith's Hardware Store is worth it to me because it is mostly a ghost town there. Also, one could attempt to make the same argument you did towards Amazon. And I absolutely shop Amazon more frequently and it is wonderful because of the low prices. I really cannot justify paying $17.00 for a new book at the local Barnes & Noble when it may be purchased online for $10.00. If you can, then you must be in a better financial position than I am and I congratulate you on your status.
8. I can't speak to a random granny's frustation but if my mother (who is a grandmother) can figure out computers and use them competently, then anyone's can.
9. I also cannot speak to which orifice from which you are talking.

Last edited by bs13690; 02-16-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,998,031 times
I think they were trying to point to the oddness of the whole situation. If so many govt and fortune 500 computers are still infected, where is the IT dept? Is that statement even true? Could something else be going on? If an outage occurs can this be used as an excuse? I mean when does the govt admit to things?

Yes having servers would give them access to information and some control. The DNS specific issue could create issues w/ normal internet traffic. Ips could work if you know what they are. The govt already has huge access to tons of information and they have made it quite clear they would like total control over all internet activity.

The main thing is to take it as a heads up either way.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 PM

379 posts, read 720,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
you get the trojan, it changes your DNS settings, you now get your DNS responses from a "rogue" server that points you to illegal sites.
Thanks. This is the technical answer I was looking for and it answers my queston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
FBI comes in, takes down the culprits, and then put up "legit" servers for a short time. Can't tell you the reason behind that, perhaps this will allow many of the infected computers to now actually resolve their A/V domains and get updated defs to remove the trojan?
Yes, that's exactly what's being said in the articles (allows infected computers to resolve their issues).

Quote:
....shut down the www for a month at least.
Tempting idea. The internet's getting annoying lately with its ads, sopa's, hangups, tracking and doubleclicks. That does bring up an interesting idea though. What kind of reaction could be expected to a shut down for everyone?
Quote:
they should also kill all telecom communications of any kind for consumers.
Do you mean no telephones of any kind? Not even land lines?

Quote:
Families ....They should go back to paying exoborinant phone bills.
Why stop there? They should have to write letters!
Quote:
3. ....Going to the library and searching for hours through a card catalog only to go look at the shelf and find the book is not there because it was misfiled or checked out was good enough for me when I was a kid.
Good times, good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Is that statement even true?
Seems like it is now that it has been explained by macroy. Also today I found the same article in slightly different language which clarifies things. I'll post it.

Quote:
Could something else be going on?
Yep. I did a lot of research and your idea did turn up.

Quote:
The govt already has huge access to tons of information and they have made it quite clear they would like total control over all internet activity.
I stumbled upon this quote one day - "Big Brother is not just watching – he’s making a scrapbook." That quote was in reference to the fact that gov. is doing things like creating facebook and twitter accounts to take the pulse of the people,shall we say. Also participating in forums was mentioned.

Last edited by mash potato; 02-16-2012 at 11:11 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
Perhpas elnina is right when saying "RT is not very reliable source of news..." What would that make RT then? It's all over the internet though. My source quoted RT as their source.
RT is a Russian propaganda media outlet. Everything they report about America has a negative spin on it.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Straight text makes it a little different to tell when one is being sarcastic.
I suppose so. I have been told that some of the stuff I type comes off mean or sarcastic when in stead I was joking or being silly. I guess it is due to my friggin' accent, who knows? But I am a sarcastic b@st@rd who generally means well, so that you know (but you can never for sure, right?).

Quote:
1. If making my life easier is not a benefit, then I don't know what is
That is a conundrum or delusion sometimes, people think computers or technology is making things easier, faster but in reality, when you look at the big picture, it is 2 step forward, 2 step back at best, at least after various different incidents I have seen and personally experienced but of course one can argue till cows come home. I tried to give examples but I suppose they weren't that good to prove my point. Here is a old example I have been using for a long time, may be it will do the trick:
Calculator, great device and quite useful but should you use it for every calculation or only when the calculation is too complex for you to do it in your head? Where do you draw the line? When do you stop using your own brain which actually gets better only when you use it more?

Quote:
2. Are you saying I am a hypocrite or was that just a general declarative?
No I was not calling you one but most everyone is at some point in their time, heck sometimes without even realizing they are being so but that is a discussion for another day and another glass of rum.

Quote:
3. The Internet doesn't make it any easier to cheat. When I was a young lad, I could have easily lifted entire passages from Encyclopedia Whateverica and my instructors would have been none the wiser. In fact, the Internet makes it easier to ferret out plagarists as one can simply do a search on suspect phrases.
I agree to disagree, the effort put in those days, even looking up the info in books, more of it would stick, looking it up on the internet and downloading or printing it without even carefully reading is way too easy.
Sorry, easy come, easy go.

Quote:
4. I fracking hate cell phones, so you do not have to preach the evils of them to me! I will say, though, that there were car accidents before texting and I'd lay money that the percentage of accidents are about the same. Anyone who is dunderhead enough to text while driving would find some other distraction.
I am a techie (who apparently -unknowingly- loves to preach) and I loath cell phone/phone chatting. I love computers and even Internet but mostly for work. In my free time, I do not spend much time, [joke] unless I am playing games to release stress because some dude in NC was giving me sh.t in an online forum about one of my silly posts. [/joke]

I ride my bike and see dunderheads on it chatting/texting their remaining good brain cells away only makes me mad because that is what the drivers who almost ran over me in the past were doing! People who think driving is a right and take it for granted. To make matters worse, it is often those who lack the attention, prudence and driving skills, are the ones that seem to be chatting and/or texting while driving. I don't care if they crash and die but I don't like it when they take those who didn't deserve it along with them.

Quote:
5. I am well aware of how to use the ignore function, thanks for the advice though. Apparently you don't appreciate disagreement or discourse so perhaps you should ignore me.
Man, and people think I am sensitive. First of, I have never used the ignore option, I often don't even remember it till someone like you mentions it. To me, it is a lame way to deal with what you do not like, especially for a guy.
"You hurt my feelings now I will ignore you! Boohoo.." lol, seems so silly to me.
Quote:
6. I don't know how people "seem" to you but they actually "seem" more connected to me. One could argue the meaning of connected until one is blue in the face, though.
I neither agree nor disagree because those who already had the proper social skills or upbringing are likely to be using Internet as another tool to keep connected with those they know. For younger generations, texting, Instant Messaging (that is even becoming old school), Internet, e-mails, social web sites are the main and for some, the only means of socializing and to me, that is sad. It really is. Since I am technically Generation X and come from a small 3rd world country, I was raised with old school customs in a much more sincere natural way, Generation Y sometimes makes me mad but I also feel sad for them. I would not trade my childhood to their PC3s and cell phones with text feature, not in a million years.

[quote]
7. Actually, I do appreciate WalMart for its low prices. I tend not to go there, though, because I don't appreciate the crowds. So paying extra money by going to Joe Smith's Hardware Store is worth it to me because it is mostly a ghost town there. Also, one could attempt to make the same argument you did towards Amazon. And I absolutely shop Amazon more frequently and it is wonderful because of the low prices. I really cannot justify paying $17.00 for a new book at the local Barnes & Noble when it may be purchased online for $10.00. If you can, then you must be in a better financial position than I am and I congratulate you on your status.
Perhaps you should watch "WalMart: high cost of low cost shopping" but who am I kidding, we all know corporations are killing this country no need to preach on that.
I do like and use Amazont, sure they offer low prices but I do not put them in the same category as WalMart. Same as you I but books and many other items there all the time. I don't even go there looking for the items initially. I do a web search for the items to collect more info on them while hunting for best prices and notice Amazon is almost always the best price anyhow. I like their service too, couple of lost packages, no worries, they refund the charges and allow me to re-order them, amazing! I also like the insightful product reviews by other customers that are often very helpful.
[/end of Amazon ad] Now back to our discussion...

Quote:
8. I can't speak to a random granny's frustation but if my mother (who is a grandmother) can figure out computers and use them competently, then anyone's can.
Then what can I say, Your mom rules! Good for her.

Quote:
9. I also cannot speak to which orifice from which you are talking.
Depending on what I was drinking, sometimes neither can I!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
RT is a Russian propaganda media outlet. Everything they report about America has a negative spin on it.
I may have seen the letters 'RT' included somewhere in the quotes, but didn't know what it meant. It's funny how the story spread like wild fire with different websites quoting the same exact thing, all in about 12 hours time.

Quote:
But I am a sarcastic XXXXXXX who generally means well, so that you know (but you can never for sure, right?).
A smiley face can indicate sarcasm so those reading know you surely jest.

Quote:
[/end of Amazon ad]
Heh, that was funny!

Last edited by mash potato; 02-16-2012 at 11:27 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 PM

Here's a slightly revised version of the original article posted above. I highlighted in a different color the differences in this article vs. the first article. This one is from Digital Trends (techology news and product reviews) - By Andrew Couts - dated February 16, 2012. The picture is part of the article.

FBI could take down Internet for millions on March 8

On March 8, the FBI may be forced to shut down DNS servers, originally installed to stop the spread of the DNSChanger virus, which would cut off Internet access to millions of Web users worldwide.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation may soon be forced to shut down a number of key Domain Name System (DNS) servers, which would cut Internet access for millions of Web users around the world, reports BetaBeat. The DNS servers were installed by the FBI last year, in an effort to stop the spread of a piece of malware known as DNSChanger Trojan. But the court order that allowed the set up of the replacement servers expires on March 8.

In November of last year, authorities arrested six men in Estonia for the creation and spread of DNSChanger, which reconfigures infected computers’ Internet settings, and re-routes users to websites that contain malware, or other illegal sites. DNSChanger also blocks access to websites that might offer solutions for how to rid the computer of its worm, and often comes bundled with other types of malicious software.

By the time the FBI stepped in, DNSChanger had taken over computers in more than 100 countries, including half-a-million computers in the US alone. To help eradicate the widespread malware, the FBI replaced infected servers with new, clean servers, which gave companies and individuals with infected computers time to clean DNSChanger off their machines.

Unfortunately, DNSChanger is still running on computers “at half of the Fortune 500 companies,” and at “27 out of 55 major government entities,” reports cybersecurity journalist Brian Krebs. These computers rely on the FBI-installed DNS servers to access the Web. But if the court order is not extended, the FBI will be legally required to remove the clean servers, which would cut off the Internet for users still infected with DNSChanger.

Companies or other agencies that are unsure whether their systems are infected with DNSChanger can get free assistance here. And private users can find out if they are infected using instructions provided here.

Image via Maxim Tupikov/Shutterstock]

Last edited by mash potato; 02-17-2012 at 01:09 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 AM

40,209 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
of that one website that generated the malicious code

Yes, but how would that affect those users internet connectivity if they're not using them to connect to the internet?
Click this link, it's an IP address:

http://173.193.61.20

If every website on the internet didn't use text names you wouldn't need DNS servers. When you type in city-data.com in your browser the DNS server points you to the right IP address.

In your network setting on your computer there is setting for what DNS server you use which you can change yourself if you want. For example Google offers a DNS service:

Google Public DNS

The malicious code on this website changed these settings so it points to a rogue DNS server which will then point you to whatever IP address it wants. What the FBI did was take over the rogue DNS servers so they wouldn't send people to the wrong IP addresses. Once they shut them down people will be unable to navigate to web pages using domain names untill they change their setings to another DNS server.

It's very simple fix.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
people will be unable to navigate to web pages using domain names untill they change their setings to another DNS server.
Who hosts DNS servers? Internet search engines or ISP's? My guess is search engines. And were the six who started the virus running a search engine or isp? Or could it be that they had a website which contained the trojan and was passed on to visitors of the site? One has to wonder what website started this and how it snowballed into millions of users, including government and fortune 500 companies. What website would government and fortune 500 companies all visit? Google? Or was the infection passed on from one user to the next, so that every infected computer didn't necessarily have to visit the site that distributed the virus.

Last edited by mash potato; 02-17-2012 at 02:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or