Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 AM

808 posts, read 1,675,555 times

Advertisements

Or is there a way to save it?

I wanna learn some at least Basic IT stuff, but I don't wanna buy all the part individually because that would indeed cost more than buying the cheapest option Dell has.

But I want to install all the software myself. But if I wipe the hard drive, and I gotta figure out how to do that, lots of tutorials on what it is to format, but not how to go about it, would I lose Windows?

Is there anyway I can like, save it to something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,638,588 times
The software comes with a Key code that you punch in after installing to show that its registered/payed for, so no unless you have a pirated copy

If windows came with the computer the key code may be on the computer somewhere instead of the windows manual or cd

Last edited by skel1977; 02-16-2012 at 11:11 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 11:51 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,050,519 times
The key issue is if you have a disk to install Windows with. Then you need the license key associated with your copy of Windows.

You can retrieve the license key by using the free software tool "Jelly Bean Keyfinder".

If you have a Windows disk, you can install using it, then use the key you retrieved above.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,680,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Or is there a way to save it?

I wanna learn some at least Basic IT stuff, but I don't wanna buy all the part individually because that would indeed cost more than buying the cheapest option Dell has.

But I want to install all the software myself. But if I wipe the hard drive, and I gotta figure out how to do that, lots of tutorials on what it is to format, but not how to go about it, would I lose Windows?

What version of windows are you using?

What type of wipe are you planning? Over partitions?

What reference material do you have?

What dell were you looking at?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 PM

808 posts, read 1,675,555 times
Ha, I'm actually looking at the cheapest Desktop Dell has. I want something that I can study on to get A+ certification on. As for what kind of wipe, whatever kind will be on the Exam.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,050,519 times
The typical Dell may not come with a Windows disk. It will have a recovery partition that can be used to restore the system. But that isn't the same as installing Windows. You may be able to purchase from Dell as an option the Windows disk.

For an exam or certification, you'll want to do it the "regular" way - not the Dell way. So you need a regular Windows installation disk.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:08 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,421,287 times
I didn't see anything regarding a Windows install on my A+ exam, but they are all different.

Reinstalling Windows is one of the easiest things to do, as long as you have the correct materials. Some keys won't work with some discs, because there are several versions (OEM, retail (HP, Dell, Acer, etc), enterprise, and more I'm sure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Most windows-based software (including windows) is not simply putting a file in a particular place and calling it installed. There are registry entries, dll hooks, and a lot of "stuff" that goes into installing a program. You can't just up and move it, unless it is designed to do that (like World of Warcraft, for example, you can move the folder and it will be "installed" wherever you put it....the downfall is the folder is usually 30-50gb in size).

When you reformat, you lose 100% of EVERYTHING on the drive.

Basic procedure is this:

Insert Windows CD/DVD.
Restart PC
Boot from CD/DVD
Go through the process, as it is displayed.
Insert product key when asked for it.

That's pretty much it. It's very, very simple.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:06 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,338,781 times
NirSoft has a freebie called ProduKey that helps recovering and storing the licenses for paid software that it sees/finds:

Most believe when they purchase a software, they actually bought the rights to and own that software which is wrong to say the list. What a consumer is doing is purchasing and owning a license which legally allows them to install and use an X number of copies of that software allowed by that license, that is it.

That said, if you purchased a license for a copy Windows 7 Ultimate English version), you can get the DVD for Windows 7 Ultimate (English) from anyone and use it to install it on your system, it doesn't have to be the one that came with your license, all you really need is the license. The media you install your software from is irrelevant.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,680,831 times
Dude....you just need to study:

Study Materials

Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,522,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The typical Dell may not come with a Windows disk. It will have a recovery partition that can be used to restore the system. But that isn't the same as installing Windows. You may be able to purchase from Dell as an option the Windows disk.

For an exam or certification, you'll want to do it the "regular" way - not the Dell way. So you need a regular Windows installation disk.
This, they usually don't come with them. Heck, the ones we buy now don't even come with a recovery disk at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers