Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 03:50 PM

45 posts, read 71,578 times

Advertisements

Hi,any help or suggestions with this would be much appreciated.When I log into my laptopunder my administrator account,it accepts my password and when it comes on I get a message saying I was logged in as a guest and i can't access any of my files.The message tells me to try ligging out and logging back in.I logged in as a guest and tried again and I still get the same message.I can't access any of my saved files as a guest.Anybody have any ideas?Thanks for any suggestions,much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:39 AM

8,271 posts, read 13,373,882 times
If you are logging in as the actual Administrator account, it will not tell you that you are logging in as a/the guest. The Administrator profile might be corrupt (very rare) and that it might be telling you that it is logging you using a Temp profile (not Guest) so you need to check on that.

As the Admin, you can access any and all profile. If another profile/data was encrypted then you might have to decrypted it first but typically accessing from within the same OS, that is not needed.

Try booting in Safe Mode to make sure you are indeed logging in as the Administrator and also see if you still get the error. If you still did, please indulge as with a screenshot please.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 PM

I tried booting in safe mode and I got the same thing.Here is a pic of what the screen says.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM

16,634 posts, read 15,583,585 times
Are you running Windows? Which version? Besides Administrator, what other accounts are on the computer? Is it standalone or part of a network?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 PM

It is Windows 7,admin. was the only account on the machine and it is not part of a network.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:04 PM

8,271 posts, read 13,373,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grady205 View Post
It is Windows 7,admin. was the only account on the machine and it is not part of a network.
- Launch Local Users and Groups console: START > RUN > (type) LUSRMGR.MSC (not case sensitive) > OK
- Click on Users
- On the right hand side pane > right-click > new user
- Create a new user
- Double-click on the new user on the list
- Click on Member of tab > Add > Advanced > Find Now
- Double-click on Administrators to add it
- Back on the Member of list, click on Users to select it
- Click on Remove button

Now reboot computer and once back up, log back on with the new user.

- Open Windows Explorer and browse to C:\Users directory
- Hide the Administrator profile folder by renaming it to something different like OLD_Administrator (do not delete that folder)

Now log off and try logging back on with the Administrator account. If it is not visible, then restart the computer in Safe Mode and it should be visible.
I do not advice using Administrator account on a daily basis though. This is just for troubleshooting purposes, OK?

If for some reason you still get the same error, etc. then there is couple of simple steps in the registry that we will have to do but for now, I will skip that step because it may not be needed after all.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM

TurcoLoco, I followed your instructions and I still get the same error message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers