U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM

39,931 posts, read 57,770,652 times

Advertisements

Try to google your problem. There is a solution for almost any problem online...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 04:47 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,270,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
If you were able to recover all of your files, (depending on the age of your computer) I would just shred the old hd and install a new hd. They are relatively cheap now.
The OP stated that his files had been recovered by his IT guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Have your It guy install a program called "combofix!" It takes all viruses out and completely restores your computer.
You can't install anything if you can't boot the system, read the OP's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojosalsa View Post
Make sure you shop around. Drive prices have gone up since the Thailand floods.
Hard Drive Prices Soar 28 Percent After Thai Floods | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
There is nothing to indicate that the drive has failed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Try to google your problem. There is a solution for almost any problem online...
From reputable sites Random opinions or "guesses" from anonymous people on the internet is the worst possible advise.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:55 PM

39,931 posts, read 57,770,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
From reputable sites Random opinions or "guesses" from anonymous people on the internet is the worst possible advise.
Absolutely!!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:48 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,807,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post
The error is stop 0x0000c1f5. From reading online, it appears as if there is a corupted file. My IT person did the bar minimun and was not about to help me out any further. I was lucky that he at least got my files backed up onto my external hard drive. I am at a loss of what to do. I would rather buy a new laptop than spend a lot of money to fix this. I appreciate all your replies
niembre, here's an article on Microsoft's Support page that may help - if you have a Win 7 disk (or can borrow one), it may be able to fix the corrupt file.

How to work around Stop Error 0x0000C1F5 on a Windows Vista-based computer

IF you get this to work, immediately safe mode and update your antivirus, and if possible let it run. Any indications that something was going wrong with your laptop before it BS'd?

I run Win 7, XP, and Vista here. (and Mac). XP is hands down my favorite, but I like 7 too. YMMV.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:50 PM

945 posts, read 1,608,951 times
if it keeps blue screening even while trying to load a new OS, it's likely there's some bad hardware. try getting new RAM for it and see if it boots up.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 PM

5,571 posts, read 6,090,595 times
It can be hardware related indeed - RAM or BIOS malfunction. In such case, a new HD will not help. Try opening the cover and see if any module came loose. It may be a bad contact. Other than that, the small internal battery can be exhausted.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 AM

92 posts, read 133,254 times
Well I got it fixed. since my IT guy was able to backup all my critical files, I just took out the hard drive from my laptop, inserted it into an enclosure and formated the OS partician, leaving the recovery partician. Once I formated it, I put it back into the laptop, was finally able to install vista from the CD and then was able to get into f8 and run the recovery (from the recovery partician), so that when it was done, my computer was back to what it was when I purchased it. Now the fun part of installing updates and software that I previously had.

thanks all for all your input

Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 AM

11,835 posts, read 13,971,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post

On a side note: Why can't your IT guy fix it for you?
Really? I assume he means the IT guy at his job. Speaking for all IT guys at all workplaces around the globe:

*********! (bad phrase directed at you and everyone else that thinks we are your personal "IT guys".....)

Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Really? I assume he means the IT guy at his job. Speaking for all IT guys at all workplaces around the globe:

*********! (bad phrase directed at you and everyone else that thinks we are your personal "IT guys".....)
Took the words directly out of my mouth. I get bombarded weekly with stuff like "my home network won't do this, can you fix it?" - when I tell them I'll moonlight it at $100/hr they always seem to decline Since when should I have to work for free for everyone and anyone who knows my name?

Old 02-23-2012, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,303 times
Hello everyone, i had to give my recommendation on a computer consultant. a guy Joe from j2computerservices. He fixed a few computers for me and my family half the price of Geek Squad. One of them was "unfix-able" said the geek squad and Joe was able to fix it! If you google j2computerservices (one word) you can find them, they are in Raritan next to Somerville. I live in Westfield NJ and was given a referral from someone that used him previously for a web site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or