Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM

92 posts, read 159,212 times

Advertisements

My Laptop crashed yesterday and whenever I try to boot the computer, it sends me to a blue error screen. I cannot f8 into safe mode either. When I try to install my operating system (vista) boot disks from dell, it goes to the blue screen too. My IT guy here at work was able to take off the hard drive and recover all my files (pictures, documents, music), so all I want to do is re-install vista. Any Help anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-21-2012 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: moved from SA Forum to Computer Forum for assistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:27 PM

61,172 posts, read 85,998,837 times
I don't know. I try to fix it myself.
Please, check those recommendations:
Need a good computer repair place
Computer Repair??

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2012, 01:32 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post
Anyone know of a good Inexpensive Computer repair guy? My Laptop crashed yesterday and whenever I try to boot the computer, it sends me to a blue error screen. I cannot f8 into safe mode either. When I try to install my operating system (vista) boot disks from dell, it goes to the blue screen too. My IT guy here at work was able to take off the hard drive and recover all my files (pictures, documents, music), so all I want to do is re-install vista. Any Help anyone can provide would be appreciated.
If you were able to recover all of your files, (depending on the age of your computer) I would just shred the old hd and install a new hd. They are relatively cheap now.

On a side note: Why can't your IT guy fix it for you?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM

905 posts, read 1,622,060 times
Have your It guy install a program called "combofix!" It takes all viruses out and completely restores your computer.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:45 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,397,160 times
What was the blue screen error code? Your IT guy could/should have at least looked that up. The error code will help you determine where to start looking for the problem - your hard drive may or may not be the issue. But, this is a good time to upgrade to Windows 7!

Old 02-21-2012, 01:49 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,397,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Have your It guy install a program called "combofix!" It takes all viruses out and completely restores your computer.
Keep in mind that if your issue is virus-related, the virus may automatically look for combofix and disable it, which is common. But, you can simply rename the .exe file to something else, and that works quite often to bypass the virus trap. Of course, if you can't even get into safe mode, combofix, etc, is not going to help! Try Ultimate Boot CD, or maybe VistaPE (both free).

Ultimate Boot CD - Overview
VistaPE: manual for a Windows Vista based PE

Also remember that these are powerful tools, if you aren't sure what the processes do, might be better off taking it to a pro just to avoid trashing your already damaged install.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:50 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
What was the blue screen error code? Your IT guy could/should have at least looked that up. The error code will help you determine where to start looking for the problem - your hard drive may or may not be the issue. But, this is a good time to upgrade to Windows 7!
Windows 7 is awful. I have it on my work laptop. I liked Windows XP more. I can't even get my VPN to work right on the 64-bit version.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM

206 posts, read 462,462 times
Make sure you shop around. Drive prices have gone up since the Thailand floods.
Hard Drive Prices Soar 28 Percent After Thai Floods | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Old 02-21-2012, 01:55 PM

The error is stop 0x0000c1f5. From reading online, it appears as if there is a corupted file. My IT person did the bar minimun and was not about to help me out any further. I was lucky that he at least got my files backed up onto my external hard drive. I am at a loss of what to do. I would rather buy a new laptop than spend a lot of money to fix this. I appreciate all your replies

Old 02-21-2012, 02:01 PM

There is a hotfix for this error on Microsoft's website and I was able to download it to my work computer and external hard drive, but I have no idea how I would be able to load it into my laptop since I only get this blue screen error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers