U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:50 PM

341 posts, read 1,550,279 times

Advertisements

thank you so much for this info
but why only 256 mb - i just had to upgrade his memory on his desktop to 512 from 256?? I think that is what we just did??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 03:19 PM

4,263 posts, read 8,017,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGAZ View Post
thank you so much for this info
but why only 256 mb - i just had to upgrade his memory on his desktop to 512 from 256?? I think that is what we just did??
I was referring to the memory of the video card. You are probably talking about RAM. You also want as much ram as possible since widows Vista requires about 2GB of it to run smoothly.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:30 PM

341 posts, read 1,550,279 times
Yes you are right it was ram - and they told me his next computer needs to have a lot more...
Thank you so much... can you get a laptop with all the higher ram and memory video cards? are they the ones that you suggested above?

Old 09-07-2007, 04:36 PM

4,263 posts, read 8,017,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGAZ View Post
Yes you are right it was ram - and they told me his next computer needs to have a lot more...
Thank you so much... can you get a laptop with all the higher ram and memory video cards? are they the ones that you suggested above?
You can order them online and customize them to your exact liking. All the major companies let you buy this way.

Last edited by davidt1; 09-07-2007 at 04:57 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 05:41 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,947,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I like the Dell Centrino- need something light to carry on a plane- what does everyone prefer?
sunny
Apple Computers makes the best laptop right now. Reliable and virtually virus/spyware free. They are now based upon the Intel chipset so compatibility with WinTel applications/systems isn't an issue and you'll enjoy the higher quality components (longer battery life, larger screen, better graphics card, etc).

I have worked with IBM laptops for 7 years - although good in quality and better in a lot of ways than Dell (which I've also had as well), my feeling is that now they are made by a Chinese conglomerate called Lenovo, and there's little sense as an American to support the outsourcing of everything. FYI - Dell is now on the outsourcing bandwagon as well.

Last edited by belovenow; 09-08-2007 at 05:50 AM..

Old 09-08-2007, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Game playing requires a dedicated/discrete graphic card. Generally, small and light laptops don't have discrete video cards. Of the laptops I posted above, the Sony and Dell have discrete video cards. In short, you need a laptop with a dedicated video card with 256 MB of memory and a fast processor to play the latest games. Keep in mind that battery life will suffer because a dedicated graphic card consumes more power than an integrated one. This is one reason why most small and light laptops don't have dedicated video cards. Another reason is that discrete video cards take a lot of space. Thus, they are usually found in bigger laptops. Now the Sony laptop probably won't be able to play the latest graphic-intensive games well because it has an older graphic card. The Dell laptop, on the hand, will be able to handle newer games because it has a newer video card. Basically, for gaming, look for a laptop with the latest video card with at least 256 MB of memory, a big hard drive, a fast processor and a high-resolution display.
As a former avid gamer myself, who spent an estimated "ridiculous amount of money" over 4 years on computers in the days when I had no business for doing so, I'd say the above advice is spot on even with today's technology.

Your best bet if you are a gamer is to stick to scalable towers (also known as desktop systems and avoid laptops altogether) so that you can upgrade your video card and ram and other components after a year or two. It will be inevitable that you will want to upgrade, and only a desktop system will allow you to do this effectively without replacing an entire system. I did the whole laptop gaming thing... it was more costly as I ended up replacing entire systems at a time.

Lastly, having been there, done that myself regarding gaming. A piece of free unsolicited advice as a parent myself now... don't support such a habit for your own child. I know I definitely won't for any of mine. The years that I gamed, I could have been doing much better things with my time.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:57 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,405,209 times
Quote:
My last choices would be an HP
We've used:
1) Sony Viao (loved it but the recent ones had the battery recall issue).
2) Averatec
3) Toshiba
4) Dell (my husband's work provided laptop)
5) HP Pavillion dv9005 (mine and I ADORE it)

I got my HP less than a year ago, qualified for the Vista upgrade and while I did get the upgrade I have not installed it. It's the perfect computer for me to use as a replacement to my desktop for graphics. I use a laptop desk with a wireless mouse and it has a standard keyboard (number keys on the side as well as at the top), 17 inch monitor and can be upgraded to 2 gig of memory which I will do soon. Has one gig now. And with an external hard drive attached, it may as well be a desktop but with the ease of a laptop.

Yes, it's larger and wider than what the OP was asking about but HP is NOT out of the running for good laptops. I wasn't sure when I bought mine but I couldn't be happier. Liz

Old 09-08-2007, 11:04 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,405,209 times
Quote:
Most computers these days, esp if running Windows XP need a MINIMUM of 512 of memory just to run standard applications. Gamers require far more than that. Usually a gig or more.

Do yourself a favor, make sure you follow these rules tho: Rules ‘N Tools Especially this one:
Quote:
Rule: Place your computer in an area of your home where you can easily supervise your child's Internet activity. If you allow your child to have a webcam, place it in a public area of your house.

* 30% of parents allow their teenagers to use the computer in private areas of the house such as a bedroom or a home office. Parents say they are more vigilant about where their teen(s) go online if the computer is in a public area of the household (NCMEC/ Cox5/24/05).
Liz

Old 09-08-2007, 01:22 PM

14,505 posts, read 24,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Apple Computers makes the best laptop right now. Reliable and virtually virus/spyware free. They are now based upon the Intel chipset so compatibility with WinTel applications/systems isn't an issue and you'll enjoy the higher quality components (longer battery life, larger screen, better graphics card, etc).

I have worked with IBM laptops for 7 years - although good in quality and better in a lot of ways than Dell (which I've also had as well), my feeling is that now they are made by a Chinese conglomerate called Lenovo, and there's little sense as an American to support the outsourcing of everything. FYI - Dell is now on the outsourcing bandwagon as well.
Thanks everyone- I need excellent memory (hate when my Windows XP virtual memory keeps needing to update)-

no gaming but just excellent battery and minimal maintenance, I need portable but not super-small...I am not familar with MacBook- how are they better than the Vaio?

Old 09-08-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Thanks everyone- I need excellent memory (hate when my Windows XP virtual memory keeps needing to update)-

no gaming but just excellent battery and minimal maintenance, I need portable but not super-small...I am not familar with MacBook- how are they better than the Vaio?
Hi Sunny, I did some quick research for you online. To me it appears that Mac is the obvious choice for you, but you may want to do your own research. I also would recommend to visit an Apple Retail Store so you can see & feel for yourself what a Mac is like (if you have no familiarity with them).

Mac vs. PC cost analysis: How does it all add up? | InfoWorld | News | 2007-06-11 | By Scot Finnie, Computerworld
Excellence beats numbers - VAIO LS vs. iMac « MyTechVision
Ivy’s Journal » Macbook vs Sony Vaio C-Series
Apple Mac Book Pro or Sony VAIO? - SE-NSE Forums
MacDailyNews - Sony copies Apple Macbook with shockingly derivative VAIO N10
macbook's vs laptops - OverclockersClub Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or