U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 PM

548 posts, read 1,065,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Yeah, if you can open the local PDF files and some other sites open PDF files then.....wait! What, version 3.01? The current version for the reader is 10x. If you weren't mistaken about your version then I strongly suggest updating it (after you uninstall the current one).
In looking at the files on Drive C there is a Folder named 'Adobe3' as well as a Folder named 'Program Files' (and others) . In the 'Program Files Folder' there is a file named 'Adobe'. And In that Folder is 'Reader 9.0'.
I looked at the list in the 'Add/Remove Programss File' and I do not see Adobe 9.0 listed. Only Adobe 3.01.
So should I delete the Adobe 3.01 or should I remove it through the Add/Remove Program?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,740,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw
I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.01
Wow so am I!!!!

I can read just about any PDF... I dont want one of those newer OVER BLOATED versions when what i have works well.....

You must not have a setting right.......Did you try changing DISPLAY MIXED CONTENT?? (Change it to ENABLE)

Internet Options/Security/Custom/Display Mixed Content

Good luck

Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Wow so am I!!!!

I can read just about any PDF... I dont want one of those newer OVER BLOATED versions when what i have works well.....
You must not view many PDFs..

Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Where did you even find 3.01 Dude111? Are you using Windows ME as well??

Adobe Reader X is not BLOATED. It is a streamlined and very fast PDF viewer. Don't be one of "those" people. Do you know how vulnerable Adobe 3 is to malware???

Last Straw: Remove through ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS first. Reboot.
Double Check ADD/REMOVE to make sure there are NO MORE instances of any Adobe Reader anything.
If you have no other Adobe products it is now safe to delete anything that says Adobe on the C drive.
Just for Giggles, reboot again.

Go to Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions and download Reader X. Or here and Download Nitro PDF Introducing Nitro Reader | Nitro
Both are good programs. Nitro has a few features that Adobe does not.

Reboot.

Try again.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 AM

548 posts, read 1,065,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Where did you even find 3.01 Dude111? Are you using Windows ME as well??

Adobe Reader X is not BLOATED. It is a streamlined and very fast PDF viewer. Don't be one of "those" people. Do you know how vulnerable Adobe 3 is to malware???

Last Straw: Remove through ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS first. Reboot.
Double Check ADD/REMOVE to make sure there are NO MORE instances of any Adobe Reader anything.
If you have no other Adobe products it is now safe to delete anything that says Adobe on the C drive.
Just for Giggles, reboot again.

Go to Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions and download Reader X. Or here and Download Nitro PDF Introducing Nitro Reader | Nitro
Both are good programs. Nitro has a few features that Adobe does not.

Reboot.

Try again.

Only the Adobe 3.01 is listed in the 'Add/Remove Programs'.
What about the 'Reader 9.0' in the Adobe Folder that is in the Programs Folder on my C Drive and is not listed in the Add/Remove Programs ?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 PM

3,685 posts, read 8,495,667 times
Quote:
Wow so am I!!!!

You must not have a setting right.......Did you try changing DISPLAY MIXED CONTENT?? (Change it to ENABLE)

Internet Options/Security/Custom/Display Mixed Content

Good luck
Acrobat Reader 3 only supports up to PDF version 1.2. Transparency was added in PDF version 1.4. That means you cannot properly view ANY PDF that uses transparency.

Like someone else wrote, you must not view a lot of PDFs if the inability to view a PDF with transparency hasn't been a problem for you.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,740,286 times
No i dont really view many PDFs....

Do you have an example of a PDF with transparancy i can view and see what it looks like?? (A link)

Old 02-24-2012, 03:28 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
In looking at the files on Drive C there is a Folder named 'Adobe3' as well as a Folder named 'Program Files' (and others) . In the 'Program Files Folder' there is a file named 'Adobe'. And In that Folder is 'Reader 9.0'.
I looked at the list in the 'Add/Remove Programss File' and I do not see Adobe 9.0 listed. Only Adobe 3.01.
So should I delete the Adobe 3.01 or should I remove it through the Add/Remove Program?

One thing that I am not certain on, if it the standard version of Adobe Reader 3.01 which lets you edit PDF files as well? Old days, plain reader was called Acrobat Reader and the paid version with basic editing capability was called Adobe Reader so I wanted to make sure. Either way, I think you should just do away with it since it is such an absolute version.

I agree with others, even though I always disliked bloated and slow Adobe Acrobat Reader, the new version (X as in 10) unlike previous versions, is a lot better. Still, at home I prefer not to install any programs on my computer in order to keep the registry slim (aka "not bloated" unlike my belly). Keeping registry slim actually makes the system continue to boot up and run fast almost like it is freshly installed. In order to accomplish this, I use portable apps where applicable. PDF viewer is one that would fit in this category. Personal choices (either installed or as portable):
If no editing/text box features needed, I go with Sumatra PDF
If I will need to add text, etc. then free version of PDF-X-Viewer
- or -
Portable Sumatra PDF / Portable PDFXViewer
If you have any questions about installing or running a portable app, you can find the related yet generic info here.

Portable apps lack automatic file association and that might be a bit offsetting for novice users but not to worry, there are 2 easy ways you can remedy it:
- Try to open a PDF file to see if association with the new portable app is working, if not, it will ask you what application to open it with:

If you got a pop-up like the above or something similar, try associating PDF documents with the downloaded and extracted portable PDF Viewer. You can do so from the Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types section as well. Here is a summarized screenshot of the relevant process:

If that is all too much for you then install one of the regular PDF Viewers. As others mentioned, there are some very good alternatives such as Nitro, Foxit, etc.

Here is what I would do with your current situation:
- Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Folder Options
- Click File Types
- Scroll down till you locate .PDF file type
- Check to see what program is configure to open it.
- Uninstall the program through Add-Remove Programs list
- Reboot you computer
- Delete all folders referring to Adobe Acrobat or Reader on the root of C (if there was one). Also the ones in the following locations if they existed:

C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files\Common Files
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data

One caveat: Before deleting the Adobe folders at the above locations, go into those folder and make sure you do not have any other Adobe programs installed (Adobe Flash ActiveX will not be there). If you didn't see any Adobe related entries in the Add-Remove Programs then you should be OK.

When done, install whatever application you decided to use whether it is Adobe Reader X or something else. Let us know if you are stuck or confused with any of these steps.

Good luck.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-24-2012 at 04:02 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 04:06 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Here is the thread where many good Adobe Reader alternatives were shared.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 PM

3,685 posts, read 8,495,667 times
Quote:
No i dont really view many PDFs....

Do you have an example of a PDF with transparancy i can view and see what it looks like?? (A link)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58535645/transparency.pdf

I kind of doubt you'll even be able to open this file.

First page has transparency, in the form of a drop shadow on the top-most image, and a transparent image below. Second page is an image that shows what the first page should look like. If you can open the file at all with your old version of Acrobat, the pages won't look similar because your version doesn't support transparency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers