U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:43 PM

3,685 posts, read 8,495,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
One thing that I am not certain on, if it the standard version of Adobe Reader 3.01 which lets you edit PDF files as well? Old days, plain reader was called Acrobat Reader and the paid version with basic editing capability was called Adobe Reader so I wanted to make sure. Either way,
Your memory is faulty. The free viewer was always called Reader. Up until Acrobat 8 was released, it was called Acrobat Reader. When Acrobat 8 was released, the name was changed to Adobe Reader. The pay version has had various names, including Acrobat, Acrobat Exchange, Acrobat Standard, Acrobat Pro, Acrobat Pro Extended, and probably a few others I can't remember.

Quote:
I think you should just do away with it since it is such an absolute version.
The word you're looking for is obsolete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Your memory is faulty. The free viewer was always called Reader. Up until Acrobat 8 was released, it was called Acrobat Reader. When Acrobat 8 was released, the name was changed to Adobe Reader. The pay version has had various names, including Acrobat, Acrobat Exchange, Acrobat Standard, Acrobat Pro, Acrobat Pro Extended, and probably a few others I can't remember.
Man, you got some nerve preaching me about the official titles when I was referring to what I heard in the field mainly from the end users!
Even to this day, I still encounter people who refer to Adobe Standard simply as Adobe or even Adobe Reader or say they need Adobe or Adobe Acrobat when they mean Adobe Acrobat Reader but perhaps my own memory is faulty? After all, you would know my own memory and what I heard from people better than I would, right? OP may not have used the proper version name, so excuse me if I am trying to make sure.

Quote:
The word you're looking for is obsolete.
Wow, thank you Captain Vocabulary, what would I do without you? Probably get annoyed a whole a lot less.
I edited that part a few times, initially using the word "absolute" in a different way and correctly, then edited again the last minute but overlook that bit.
I post mostly when I am at work doing bunch of different things while taking the time to reply to a thread as best as I can but I often make multiple changes on the fly adding text or links or pictures.
I make no excuses or claims about having perfect English skills because I am well aware of my unintentional composition mistakes, typos and what have you so I do not need anyway placing a post just to point that out.

Please post relevant and truly helpful info on topic or refrain from doing so, seriously. Even humorous, silly posts are welcomed.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:08 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,740,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58535645/transparency.pdf

I kind of doubt you'll even be able to open this file.
Thank you for the link....

I like to experiment often and i have read the last day or so the first version to be able to open those files is Adobe 5 and i believe all i would have to do is update my adobe 3 rendering files with the version 5 files and it should work

But usually any other PDF (w/o the transparency) render well.....

Old 02-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

I like to experiment often and i have read the last day or so the first version to be able to open those files is Adobe 5 and i believe all i would have to do is update my adobe 3 rendering files with the version 5 files and it should work

Considering how often PDF is used as a payload to install rootkits by exploiting holes in Reader and Acrobat, I'd be very wary of using an old and unsupported version of Acrobat. In fact, I'd say it would be a very poor and uninformed choice.

The sandboxing technology used in Acrobat X and Reader X, though sometimes inconvenient, makes it far less likely for an infected PDF to actually cause damage to your system.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Man, you got some nerve preaching me about the official titles when I was referring to what I heard in the field mainly from the end users!
I don't care where you got your information, the point is, your information was wrong.

Quote:
Wow, thank you Captain Vocabulary, what would I do without you?
Thank God I only have to deal with with the semiliterate in online forums and not in real life.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

Dude. Seriously. wtf. Stop screwing around and just install Adobe Reader X. Please.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:42 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I don't care where you got your information, the point is, your information was wrong.
The point is your thick skull is not getting it. I wasn't arguing about what the official names were, I was merely trying to clarify the version he had by mentioning how certain versions were referenced (incorrectly) in the field. Do you get it now? It is not about what I or you or anyone else knows. Let the ego go, please. I know your handle makes your disposition quite clear but it is getting annoying nevertheless.

Quote:
Thank God I only have to deal with with the semiliterate in online forums and not in real life.
It has nothing to do with being semiliterate or illiterate. If you weren't busy being an presumptuous arrogant waste of cyber space, you might actually see it was due to lack of attention caused by rushing through different online and offline tasks.
Regardless, I much rather be a semiliterate who is trying to help than a literate yet cocky and unhelpful character.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,271,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Dude. Seriously. wtf. Stop screwing around and just install Adobe Reader X. Please.

He may have a problem doing that since he is still using WIN98.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:35 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,740,286 times
No i believe i could place reader 6 on here but #1 i dont read PDFs that much and #2 3.0 works fine for what i do read!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
He may have a problem doing that since he is still using WIN98.
I think I missed that.
O M G
Dude. Get a new computer. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers