U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,571,425 times

Advertisements

Apple dot com is my homepage, and one thing I have noticed since the passing of Jobs is that the language, the little catch-phrase descriptions that briefly describe/announce their products are not as "hip" "wow!", "smug" and to be honest, creative anymore. Basically, the difference is in definite contrast to the wording used when Jobs was still around.

I don't know if this new direction is intentional or not, but honestly it seems like it would make owning an Apple product not as pressing to new costumers.

In my opinion, aside from the iPhone, I think this will cause a shift away from Apple products as consumers look for the next cool computer products. Maybe Linux will actually become "cool" now Lord knows Ubuntu is trying to go in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
LOL Linux will never be cool but I do think *something* else will eventually come along that all the cool kids/sheep flock to.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:06 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
Steve Jobs WAS Apple, with him gone so is Apple's uniqueness...

Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,571,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
LOL Linux will never be cool but I do think *something* else will eventually come along that all the cool kids/sheep flock to.
Linux missed its opportunity by what, ten years? But it is still trying and there are plenty of users who want an alternative to both Windows and OSX. Eventually something will come along, yes. What ever that is I think will be in the realm of Linux, though. I mean, look at Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Steve Jobs WAS Apple, with him gone so is Apple's uniqueness...
Yes, he was. I guess that was my point. He hasn't been gone for that long and the change on Apple's website is already noticeable. It won't be long before it becomes noticeable in their products, too. Jobs created the Apple brand that we know today, and without him, Apple is going to have to rebrand themselves. Personally, I don't think Apple can pull it off without Jobs. The iPhone will still be popular for a few more years, perhaps the iPad as well, but I think Apple is going to revert back to its cult-like status circa 2002-2005.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 AM

26,345 posts, read 83,912,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Apple dot com is my homepage, and one thing I have noticed since the passing of Jobs is that the language, the little catch-phrase descriptions that briefly describe/announce their products are not as "hip" "wow!", "smug" and to be honest, creative anymore. Basically, the difference is in definite contrast to the wording used when Jobs was still around.

I don't know if this new direction is intentional or not, but honestly it seems like it would make owning an Apple product not as pressing to new costumers.

In my opinion, aside from the iPhone, I think this will cause a shift away from Apple products as consumers look for the next cool computer products. Maybe Linux will actually become "cool" now Lord knows Ubuntu is trying to go in that direction.

Which is why I contend an awful lot of Apple's success is marketing to people who buy things because of words like "Hip", "Wow", "Cool", etc. and don't read specs. The iPod is a prime example. iTunes hassles, no WMA, no easy transfer of music from one PC or another to the iPod with all the sync hassles. Most normal MP3 players are simply mass storage devices which can be plugged in to any USB port no questions asked.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:20 AM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Which is why I contend an awful lot of Apple's success is marketing to people who buy things because of words like "Hip", "Wow", "Cool", etc. and don't read specs. The iPod is a prime example. iTunes hassles, no WMA, no easy transfer of music from one PC or another to the iPod with all the sync hassles. Most normal MP3 players are simply mass storage devices which can be plugged in to any USB port no questions asked.
I just don't get it. Why should Apple do anything differently?
Apple may be $3 trillion company by 2022 - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/news/hardware/Apple-may-be-3-trillion-company-by-2022/articleshow/12033601.cms - broken link)

Go to Crutchfield, B&H, or any electronics store around the US, and look at the specifications of home and automobile audio and video components, and notice that iPod and iPhone compatibility is first on the list. Apple's primary customer has been the young, and there is exactly where the most brilliant minds are in relation to marketing into the future.

The new iPod: you can use it to stream music, video, photos, and so forth, to the TV anywhere in the house via Wi-Fi, you can use it to text, to take photos on the go, as a video or audio recorder, you can print documents and things from it, or even to make a phone call via the Internet.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-25-2012 at 11:37 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 11:21 AM

3,035 posts, read 3,376,864 times
Maybe they'll stop ignoring their pro users.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Maybe they'll stop ignoring their pro users.
Their pro users are found in the older generations (the fathers, mothers, uncles, aunts, and so forth). By the way, I use both PC and Apple. I am not defending Apple, just stating that it's a very successful company. But don't believe, not even for a moment, that some of the most brilliant "pros" aren't present in the young generations.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 PM

3,035 posts, read 3,376,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Their pro users are found in the older generations (the fathers, mothers, uncles, aunts, and so forth). By the way, I use both PC and Apple. I am not defending Apple, just stating that it's a very successful company. But don't believe, not even for a moment, that some of the most brilliant "pros" aren't present in the young generations.
Hey?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Yes, he was. I guess that was my point. He hasn't been gone for that long and the change on Apple's website is already noticeable. It won't be long before it becomes noticeable in their products, too. Jobs created the Apple brand that we know today, and without him, Apple is going to have to rebrand themselves. Personally, I don't think Apple can pull it off without Jobs. The iPhone will still be popular for a few more years, perhaps the iPad as well, but I think Apple is going to revert back to its cult-like status circa 2002-2005.

100% agree, Apple will float along for another decade or so but the unique products, the quality, the inventiveness, the forward thinking is gone.

It will always have a cult crowd which will shrink with each passing year.

Their successes will diminish as their duds start to increase....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or