Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 AM

633 posts, read 1,942,892 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a refurbished DC7700 a XP-pro bare bones install and it has a single partition.

I want to create an emergency disk before moving forward.

I downloaded hp backup and restore software patch sp37971, I installed it but can not find it with start, programs, hp backup...

Does the system have to have the 2nd recovery partition like a new system?

Is the sp37971 not the complete routine and only a patch to the full routine?

I can not find anywhere on the system that the routine may have been installed, any thoughts?

I tried using the xp backup routine and it keeps giving me an error of backup file name/path can not be used. I am trying to put it on my (cd/dvd) d:\

any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM

633 posts, read 1,942,892 times
I just connected my usb drive and I'm currently able to backup to that, so why can I not back up to D:\ ???

This system comes with a floppy and since I am trying to make an emergency boot cd do I need to look at the boot configuration /sequence?

Old 02-25-2012, 05:02 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,115,959 times
NFN but if it's a pure 100% Windows XP install I'm not sure the HP patch will do anything....

What does Control Panel/Computer Management/Disk Management display?

One or two or more partitions?

I looked in HP's support docs and saw this on your patch:

Quote:
This patch enables the Point in Time Recovery option during a bare metal restore. It also includes network drivers for Microsoft WinPE to support the HP Compaq dx2300 PCs.

By enabling the Point in Time Recovery option, users can navigate to saved Recovery Points or Entire Drive Backups on a network share in order to perform a restore. Once the restore is complete, this patch must be installed again to re-apply the patch, and then a new EDB and/or recovery point needs to be created.
I also found this:

HP Notebook PCs - Recover Windows XP Operating System Using HP Recovery (2006 or Later)

HP Compaq nx7400 Notebook PC*-* HP Notebook PCs - Recover Windows XP Operating System Using HP Recovery (2006 or Later) - c00608578 - HP Business Support Center

Not your exact model but.....

Last edited by plwhit; 02-25-2012 at 05:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers