U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 04:03 PM

3,139 posts, read 5,422,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I will reply to this other stuff later, but this:

I already commented on that. I've done this. I've lived it, brother. I built a top of the line PC so I could play Unreal Tournament. 3-4 years later it was time to upgrade yet again. Do I buy another PCI video card? No. It's never THAT easy. Because now there is this new thing called AGP. So now I need a new mobo. And new RAM. O crap, new power requirements for that AGP card? Need a new PS too!
Let's go another 3-4 years forward. You going to buy a new AGP card? Nope! Now there's PCI-E!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You realize they don't stop making video card for one slot type the minute the next one comes along, right? Newegg currently lists 53 PCI and 22 AGP video cards for sale. PCI express has been around long enough now that my last two PCs have had it.

Now if you want the absolute fastest card on Earth for your 3 year old PC and the standard has changed since your computer was built, you'll probably be out of luck. But that doesn't mean you won't have plenty of upgrade choices to get another year or two out of that machine.
Also, aside from what EscapeCalifornia said, once a laptop is out of date your SOL. PCI-e has been around for 6+ years now. With PCI-e there is no immediate bottleneck that we need to advance ourselves out of, but once there is, you can be guaranteed the new format will last another 6 years or so.

We all know the general rule when it comes to computing. Everythings get twice as small, but twice as fast, at half the cost every 10 years. Someday your theory on Desktops being obsolete will be a reality, but not now.

I have belief that someday iPad type devices and smartphones will completely erase a "computer only" device entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 PM

3,546 posts, read 5,683,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Now if you want the absolute fastest card on Earth for your 3 year old PC and the standard has changed since your computer was built, you'll probably be out of luck. But that doesn't mean you won't have plenty of upgrade choices to get another year or two out of that machine.
That's my situation; I built this box almost 4 years ago with two PCI-E cards. One card died about 14 months ago so I upgraded to a GTX 460, and a better PSU.

In the next couple of months I'll be replacing the board / ram / cpu with something based on a fast I7 (probably the 2600K).

Even if the PCI-E spec goes away, I'm already a generation behind on the graphics card now, so by this time next year I'll be able to grab a really nice 5 series card at a reasonable price.

I'm keeping the three monitors, keyboard, mouse, case, PSU, video card, DVD, hard drives, etc.

I'll take the video card and PSU that I have left from last year, the board / ram / cpu from this build, and put it in the case left from my wife's last machine, and have a useful machine for lower end uses.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM

2,477 posts, read 4,543,948 times
What a silly thing to argue about. It just comes down to personal preference. Obviously no one needs to own a 2 door car because 4 door cars exist!

I have a laptop and a desktop, and if I had to choose, I'd keep the desktop, but that's because it fits my specific needs and is just my preference.

The fan on my video card died recently, which led to overheating and artifacts within about 20 minutes of turning on the computer. Had it been my laptop, I'd have to send it out for repairs and get a bill that likely rivaled the replacement cost of the computer. Since it was my desktop, I just went out and bought a new card and had it installed within a few hours of the fan dying.

I also have my desktop connected to 2 24" LCD monitors, which is really great for photo and video editing.

If any part of my desktop dies, I can generally just buy a new one and replace it in the same day. You're usually going to be sending the laptop out somewhere for repairs.

But of course if you value portability, then the laptop is obviously the better choice.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:02 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,708,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
What a silly thing to argue about.
I don't think anyone's really arguing about anything here

Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 PM

2,477 posts, read 4,543,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I don't think anyone's really arguing about anything here
Probably not in the discussion, but the text of the OP is certainly worded such that a laptop is the only reasonable choice.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,708,241 times
Quote:
Probably not in the discussion, but the text of the OP is certainly worded such that a laptop is the only reasonable choice.
Well of course, he said he prefers laptops, it wasn't supposed to be unbiased (between you and me, I still think laptops are overpriced, underpowered and not as efficient [well, maybe electrically, but not work-related])

Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Quote:
I still stand by my original post. For most people, specifically non-gamers which is at least 80% of the market, a laptop is IMO a better way to go. I am stunned that I alone seem to think this.

The topic has sidetracked into PC's v Laptops as gaming machines. and wifi v ethernet gaming.

I tried to build a Dell PC similar to the laptop that I did get a great deal on ( I admit), but Dell doesn't allow you to add 12GB of RAM.
So I went to OriginPC: http://originpc.com/shop/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=557 (broken link)
My Asus: ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS G53SX

That Origin is the base model. Without upgrading anything my laptop edges out that PC and it was $50 cheaper sans monitor. I did get a good pre-Xmas deal. My laptop currently retails for $1,350.

But let's compare that to my laptop.
The Origin has an i3 running at 3.1 GHZ. Mine is an i7 running at 3GHZ when overclocked. There is an automatic overclock on my laptop, thank you Asus.
A Radeon HD 7750 1gb versus my Geforce 560M w/2GB.
The edge there goes to the Origin.
8GB in the Origin to 12GB in my laptop.
Keep in mind the Origin has no screen either. Yes Yes I know that most people would already have a screen so they wouldn't need one. But a soup to nuts comparo, I believe having the i7 + 4gb of RAM + my laptop supports 3D if connected to a 3D TV: beats having the better video card. I won't even mention the 320GB hard versus my 750 GB hard drive. (I added 4GB of RAM from Crucial on sale for $24 = 16GB).

Tonight I am taking my laptop to a friends house. Another friend is bringing his gaming laptop. We are networking together with my buddy and his desktop PC to play some BF3. Not quite the same as sitting alone in your home and playing BF3 with your friends.
I'll say it again: I WIN!

OK OK in 4 years I won't be able to play anything except at LOW gfx settings but the next couple years are going to be FUN FUN FUN! haha

Lastly as to wifi v ethernet: OK I suppose maybe ChiGuy could be the very very rare exception to the rule here. But give me some credit here, man. I am not just guessing. I was a HARDCORE gamer for a long time. In a clan, competing on ladders. I steadfastly refused to even consider wifi gaming. I was so sure it just couldn't be done. I did a ton of research before I even tried it, that's how sure I was that it would just suck. It doesn't. I have the slowest DSL connection you can have because I am to far from the CO. I shouldn't even HAVE a signal. And I am using wireless. And it WORKS GREAT. I used to spend extra to get the middle tier internet. WASTED MY MONEY!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM

21,552 posts, read 24,693,354 times
Has anyone tried to upgrade either to use USB 3.0?

My currently less than three month old Toshiba NB has no card slot to plug one in and my currently less then three month old HP desktop has no extra SATA power connections, but has plenty of data connections. What makes things worse is that the USB 3.0 card for the desktop came with a molex connector on it. And thus I had to order online a molex to sata adapter and a sata 1-2 splitter.

And why am I going through all this? Because someone told one my larger clients it would easier/faster to send field data out on 3.0 devices then for me to pull the data off the server myself (and yes I know these devices are downgradable to 2.0).

And people wonder why I travel with a IPad and use the cloud for storage.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
I have not Neil. In fact my laptop has a 3.0 and I don't even really use it at all.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
My laptop includes a USB 3.0 as well. I use it with my flash drive only... since that's all I have that is USB 3.0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or