U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,657,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Ahhh, The Trash 80 days......
As big as two tablets....

WooHooo, Double-sided double-density floppies and they could store a massive 100K...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 AM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Ahhh, but do you have a 8" floppy drive is the question...

No, but I do have an 8" floppy disc somewhere downstairs.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:30 PM

471 posts, read 1,376,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Netbook + Laptop = 61% with desktops pulling a mere 27% last year... predicted to be less then a fifth of sales by 2015...
I have a feeling that tablets will pull ahead of netbooks & laptops pretty soon. Not just because I read that somewhere , but based on personal observations for years on how most people use their PCs and Macs: email, casually browsing the internet, printing off a recipe or a .pdf of their tax return but especially for communication purposes, first email, then instant messaging and now social networking via Facebook, Twitter etc. These things, especially the networking stuff, IMO don't need particularly powerful hardware to provide a satisfactory experience. Heck my 10 old tan Compaq desktop with its 633mHz Celeron processor can still handle those tasks.

So as much as tablets in general bother me - clunky virtual keyboards, having to use your hands, fingers AND arm to pull/swipe/enlarge, making sure they are charged and especially, their stupidly huge price tags for their limited (to me) uses* - for the "casual" users described above they are great to have around and they can be used in many places that even laptops have problems with. But in my opinion because of that limited usefulness vs. a full-blown PC or Mac, they end up being simpler to use i.e. they are similar to a household appliance like a coffee maker or washing machine: no need for in-depth training i.e. no messing with file systems, right-clicking to get something to work correctly etc etc. Instead you just turn them on and choose whatever task you want to involve yourself in and the tablet does the rest.

I think when more tablets come out in the $200-$300 price range, a revolution of sorts will happen and even those slick all-in-one desktops will be relegated to the back aisles at big-box retailers like conventional tower PCs are right now (including the mini-tower PCs where the tower is small enough to fit on the same shelf as a large fiction novel, another option I am considering along with an all-in-one).

Lastly, I honestly don't believe desktops - or mice or actual physical keyboards - will ever completely disappear since many people - gamers or especially, people using them for business purposes - still do not want to deal with the hassles of tablets I described above and/or their hardware and software limitations, and still find sitting at a proper desk more comfortable and productive.

* and why many in the the tech business refer to them as "media consumption devices" as opposed to media creation devices

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post

I think when more tablets come out in the $200-$300 price range, a revolution of sorts will happen
Agreed. The $500 sweet spot for the cheapest 10" tablet is holding the floodgates back right now. If Apple or an Android company had a 10" tablet at $250? Good night. Everyone would have one in 5-10 years... and we'd be telling our kids: When I was young I had to lug around a laptop! Can you imagine?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM

21,552 posts, read 24,693,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley
I think when more tablets come out in the $200-$300 price range, a revolution of sorts will happen
It came, It went, it crashed and burned. If it doesn't have battery life like a IPad then its worthless. Android sucks power like Windows OS does. I can run my IPad for days and watch a few movies yet my Android cell lasts about 8 hours.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:37 AM

3,546 posts, read 5,683,145 times
Quote:
It came, It went, it crashed and burned. If it doesn't have battery life like a IPad then its worthless. Android sucks power like Windows OS does. I can run my IPad for days and watch a few movies yet my Android cell lasts about 8 hours.
Comparing a tablet battery to a cell battery is not apples to apples. Also, did you have a 3g tablet, or wifi only? Is your phone 4g? do you make phone calls on your iPad? all of these things make a huge difference.

I have an Android tablet that only has to be charged every few days.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Quote:
It did? What was it?
There are crappy tablets made by companies you never heard of that made crap products. Is that what you mean?
Or the 7" Kindle Fire that's sold tons??

When Apple makes a 10" tablet for $299/$250, or Samsung makes a 10" tablet for $299/$250 then you will see huge adoption rates.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
It did? What was it?
There are crappy tablets made by companies you never heard of that made crap products. Is that what you mean?
Or the 7" Kindle Fire that's sold tons??
You mean crappy companies like HP?

Quote:
When Apple makes a 10" tablet for $299/$250,
Will never happen. Quality tablets will stabilize around the $499-$799 mark. Notebooks have stabilized around the $399-$599 and desktops around $279-$499. These are the sweet spots for a majority of selling points. Most tablets that have come onto the market on the low end have already gone into liquidation. It is extremely rare that you see a notebook being retailed for lower than $349 (exclude Black Friday/Cyber Monday) and desktop being retailed for lower than $279. Notebooks/Desktops at this point are disposable by people who don't have the knowledge to do upgrades/repairs on they're own. Call BestBuy/Staples/OfficeDepot/Officemax and get their labor rates and try to stay under $200. Gone are the days that CompUSA installed upgrades for free, did flat rate repairs for under $100, did data backups for $70. Ann what has replaced CompUSA? A whole slew of overpriced upgrades at the retail level that push you in the direction of replacement rather than the former.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
You mean crappy companies like HP?
There's a reason they had to blow out their tablet for $99.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
There's a reason they had to blow out their tablet for $99.
I know. It was more a sarcastic response.We already had a thread to cover it. And there is a load of crappy tablets what will go in the direction of Packard Bell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or