U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-08-2012, 10:01 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,657,958 times
Reputation: 7645

Advertisements

I just noticed this article & figured I'd share......

Quote:
Gartner Research Director Ranjit Atwal predicts that 368 million PC units will be sold in 2012, an increase of 4.4 per cent from 2011. By his calculations, the market will grow to 400 million units in 2013.
Tim Cook's post-PC iPad domination dream crushed by reality ? The Register
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 AM
 
872 posts, read 1,661,910 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It did? What was it?
There are crappy tablets made by companies you never heard of that made crap products. Is that what you mean?
Or the 7" Kindle Fire that's sold tons??

When Apple makes a 10" tablet for $299/$250, or Samsung makes a 10" tablet for $299/$250 then you will see huge adoption rates.
iPad 2 refurbished now $349. I think that's a fantastic deal, even the new price of $399 is.

For a 10 inch, full operating system tablets, I think once your'e at $400, that's a fair price.

By the way, how does stuff like 7" galaxy tabs for $500+ PLUS A REQUIRED DATA PLAN or Toshiba Thrives for $530 with dated technology happen? I don't understand why Android tablet manufacturers are being so obtuse with their pricing models. With such pricing, they're dead on arrival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 AM
 
872 posts, read 1,661,910 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Nah, probably not (IMO) because many people are finding out - again, my opinion - how limited tablets can be. For example more & more iPad adopters have written on various forums and review sites how after a few weeks of the "honeymoon period" they realized their tablet ended up sitting on a shelf most of the time.
A lot of this is about expectations. It's certainly not going to replace a PC, but that's apples'n'oranges IMO.

Depending on one's lifestyle there's use for this devices.

Another thing is we only consider current limitations, without looking at future possibilities. For example, you can't say there aren't any intriguing possibilities with something like the Samsung Note 10.1.

It's about portability, device connnectivity, and sharing. I'm a graduate student and i'd like to not have to walk around with a huge bookbag, and I'd like to be able to scribble notes that I can access later on different devices. Read magazines. etc.

At the right price though $400 is about what I'm comfortable with, altough that new iPad looks nice (but I really really hate iTunes). Hopefully the new Asus Transformer is $399 for the base wi-fi only, I might jump on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Reputation: 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post

By the way, how does stuff like 7" galaxy tabs for $500+ PLUS A REQUIRED DATA PLAN or Toshiba Thrives for $530 with dated technology happen? I don't understand why Android tablet manufacturers are being so obtuse with their pricing models. With such pricing, they're dead on arrival.
The 7" wifi Galaxy is $299.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
 
872 posts, read 1,661,910 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The 7" wifi Galaxy is $299.
Ok, stand corrected. Nonetheless, I think it's off to compare 7" tablets head to head with iPads.

If you want a fullsized tablet, 7"s are irrelevant....so I don't get the Fire vs. iPad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Wandering.
3,546 posts, read 5,683,145 times
Reputation: 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
iPad 2 refurbished now $349. I think that's a fantastic deal, even the new price of $399 is.

For a 10 inch, full operating system tablets, I think once your'e at $400, that's a fair price.

By the way, how does stuff like 7" galaxy tabs for $500+ PLUS A REQUIRED DATA PLAN or Toshiba Thrives for $530 with dated technology happen? I don't understand why Android tablet manufacturers are being so obtuse with their pricing models. With such pricing, they're dead on arrival.
When you say full operating system, are you referring to the iPad? Because it's a long way from a full OS.

Most of the latest Android tablets have pretty impressive hardware specs, and 4G (for the non WiFi ones).

I think many of the tablets that are not using V3 are just skipping it for V4. In the case of the Thrive, it's scheduled to get ICS in the next few months. Other than that, I don't see any "dated" technology in the Thrive.

The reason that the thrive cost's what it does is that it has lots of extras that many of the other tablets don't. Replaceable battery, HDMI port, USB ports, SD card, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Florida
398 posts, read 633,309 times
Reputation: 264
I have absolutely no use for a desktop and I am a developer. I HATE sitting at a desk, I don't even like being in my house. I have a smart phone with Tethering which means I can work anywhere, anytime. I usually do most of my work in coffee shops. I also have a wireless mouse if I need to draw something. Why would I go back to a desktop? It's just something else I have to have, another desk, another big machine sucking power... I'm not a gamer, I haven't played games since I was 14 on the Super Nintendo so... don't see why I need a desktop. The last desktop I had was in 2005 and I never looked back. From about 2000-2005 I had both. I might get a tablet soon as the resolution is quite high, and you can use an iPad for an extra screen via screen sharing for a laptop.
BTW high res laptops usually have higher ppi than all those 22-30" 1080p screens which are so popular..... so your photos will actually look quite a bit better on the laptop (assuming you got one with a decent display) 15 or 17" @ 1920x1080 is going to look much better than that resoluation at 22/24".
The new iPad 3 is 2048x1536 on a 9" display, so I'm sure it looks pretty amazing.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 03-10-2012 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 10:25 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
Reputation: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
I have absolutely no use for a desktop and I am a developer. I HATE sitting at a desk, I don't even like being in my house. I have a smart phone with Tethering which means I can work anywhere, anytime. I usually do most of my work in coffee shops. I also have a wireless mouse if I need to draw something. Why would I go back to a desktop? It's just something else I have to have, another desk, another big machine sucking power... I'm not a gamer, I haven't played games since I was 14 on the Super Nintendo so... don't see why I need a desktop. The last desktop I had was in 2005 and I never looked back. From about 2000-2005 I had both. I might get a tablet soon as the resolution is quite high, and you can use an iPad for an extra screen via screen sharing for a laptop.
BTW high res laptops usually have higher ppi than all those 22-30" 1080p screens which are so popular..... so your photos will actually look quite a bit better on the laptop (assuming you got one with a decent display) 15 or 17" @ 1920x1080 is going to look much better than that resoluation at 22/24".
The new iPad 3 is 2048x1536 on a 9" display, so I'm sure it looks pretty amazing.
Which laptop do you have? There is no iPad 3. It's just iPad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Oakland,CA
5 posts, read 5,326 times
Reputation: 18
freelance artist or bloggers use laptop.. for me I;m to broke to get one so I got a desktop.. laptop cant not change graphic cards for video or games
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 AM
 
Location: Florida
398 posts, read 633,309 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Which laptop do you have? There is no iPad 3. It's just iPad.
It is the 3rd generation and said it to clarify the latest, their naming conventions aren't the greatest...

I have a Toshiba Qosmio right now, it's a core i7. I've also had Dell/ASUS though. I usually get a new laptop about every year then sell the old one off to a friend, give to a family member, or on craigslist. Note I still have other *computers* they just aren't in my house, they are in a rack and I rent them, I used to have a rack in my apartment if that tells you how strongly I prefer working from a laptop. Internet speed and generally faster laptops changed everything. Ask me the same thing 10 years ago and I would have told you no way.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 03-11-2012 at 01:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top