U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,438,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
O wait, one more.
  • You get less computing power for your money
Yea, because MOST people NEED a quad core machine to play Bejeweled on Facebook, right? The trade off isn't so extreme. A $500 laptop will do everything a $400 desktop can do...
Personally, I feel sorry for those that play Bejeweled on Facebook (I have no idea what that even is, since I wouldn't waste my time on Facebook).

I only use a laptop for business, traveling. When I need to write a word document or create an Excel sheet, or use MS Project etc.

--They don't have much processing power (never saw one with dual six-cores). Try solving an NP-complete with one.
--They don't have much storage capability (20 Tb is less than a grand)
--The screen size is miserable (they don't come in 32", do they? )
--Their battery life is limited.
--The keyboards are mediocre.
-- Never saw 32Gb (or 64Gb) of fast memory in a laptop
-- Never say a laptop that could keep up with my (time-allocated) T3 external network rate.

So I guess it all boils down to what you want to use if for. (I do have a couple of laptops, but they keep the room doors from swinging shut).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Personally, I feel sorry for those that play Bejeweled on Facebook (I have no idea what that even is, since I wouldn't waste my time on Facebook).

I only use a laptop for business, traveling. When I need to write a word document or create an Excel sheet, or use MS Project etc.

--They don't have much processing power (never saw one with dual six-cores). Try solving an NP-complete with one.
-- Never say a laptop that could keep up with my (time-allocated) T3 external network rate.

So I guess it all boils down to what you want to use if for. (I do have a couple of laptops, but they keep the room doors from swinging shut).
Seems a little out of the scope of recreational or home use on a sub $1500ish machine, which is obviously what this thread is about.

I'm envious of your 20TB of space, though. Do you have them RAIDed or anything?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:40 AM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times
I don't have any Smartphones. We have 2 Tracfones that cost me ~$14.00/month for both. That way my wife and I can each make as many phone calls as we want to or need to. They get turned off a lot too. I absolutely hate to see people using a cell phone during a concert or while I'm trying to have a conversation. I have no tablets either. However, I do have 2 Netbooks. I bought one at a yard sale and the other was given to me broken. Now we each have something light to carry when we travel. They are much easier to carry around than the 3 laptops we own. When we get home, we go back to using some of the desktop computers. The screens and keyboards are bigger and easier to use. Besides, it would cost a lot more to buy laptops and it did to build desktops. Facebook runs about as well on one as the other.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:42 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:

- 99% of people don't do that kind of crunching. A single quad core is enough for even the typical heavy user. For most users, a dual core is more than ideal.
Quote:
- Storage is typically not in a computer anyways these days.
Quote:
- You can attach a 32" monitor to a laptop just like you can to a desktop. There's no difference.
Quote:
- Up to 23 hours of battery life is more than the amount of battery life in a desktop.
Quote:
- You can attach a keyboard to a laptop just like you can to a desktop.
Quote:
- A lot of laptops have 32Gb and 64Gb of memory. The max right now is 32GB on sandybridge and that will jump up to 64GB with ivybridge
Quote:
- This is as unique as the first comment. It doesn't apply to 99% of people.
Quote:

Agree.

Last edited by NJBest; 03-14-2012 at 05:51 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Seems a little out of the scope of recreational or home use on a sub $1500ish machine, which is obviously what this thread is about.

I'm envious of your 20TB of space, though. Do you have them RAIDed or anything?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

A MACbook Pro can easily run $2500... so $1500 isn't going to go very far.

I would never use a MAC, but the SO's daughter wanted one for college (as a huge fraction of industry doesn't use them, setting academia aside).

I thought the thread was 'Laptops V. Desktops'.

I just do simple mirroring (RAID-1). (So only 10TB available)
You can go to Walmart and get a WD 2TB drive for about $100.
With that amount of disk space, I wonder if I will ever have to delete a file again. I am sure I have obsolete megabyte files all over the place, but it makes no difference.

This is purely recreational. I think that people just have different definitions of what is 'fun'. I have 4 machines running at home, 24/7 (and my electric bill reflects it ). I have 170,000 hours of SETI time on one machine, though I can't compete with the machines I had set up at work ( over 500 machines all exclusively running it simultaneously). It all depends what your hobbies are.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
- 99% of people don't do that kind of crunching. A single quad core is enough for even the typical heavy user. For most users, a dual core is more than ideal.

Any sort of video or picture processing can take a lot of CPU (even in the home environment, and to serve out to other members in the household, you need a fair amount of horsepower (as well as really fast disks).

- Storage is typically not in a computer anyways these days.

And it is.... where?

- You can attach a 32" monitor to a laptop just like you can to a desktop. There's no difference.

That is true. So if I just have bought a laptop, I now buy a monitor.

- Up to 23 hours of battery life is more than the amount of battery life in a desktop.

The UPS's only last about 6 hours here given the number of hard drives and PC's, but the backup generator (fringe benefit of running the house, since the power goes out a lot here), will let it run for weeks w/o grid power.

- You can attach a keyboard to a laptop just like you can to a desktop.

- A lot of laptops have 32Gb and 64Gb of memory. The max right now is 32GB on sandybridge and that will jump up to 64GB with ivybridge

- This is as unique as the first comment. It doesn't apply to 99% of people.

I guess the title of this thread should have been 'Laptops vs Desktops for 99% of people'. I would also say that it is way less than 99% that can not have this capability. Most of the new construction around here has fiber network connections (and the house is wired with fiber), to handle OC-3, OC-12, OC-48... but I have absolutely no idea why anyone would need that capacity in their home.

Agree.
Mine in red.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Mine in red.
Quote:
Any sort of video or picture processing can take a lot of CPU (even in the home environment, and to serve out to other members in the household, you need a fair amount of horsepower (as well as really fast disks).
Absolutely in some cases. But you're overestimating the CPU requirements to the majority of video editing done in a home environment.
Quote:
And it is.... where?
For the few folks who need massive storage, they use a NAS or SAN. I have twelve 2TB hard drives in a SAN, and 2TB of SSDs (4) in my desktop. The SAN is fast enough most of the time. For anything faster, I just work off of the SSDs. My laptop, however, only has 1TB of SSDs (2).
Quote:
The UPS's only last about 6 hours here given the number of hard drives and PC's, but the backup generator (fringe benefit of running the house, since the power goes out a lot here), will let it run for weeks w/o grid power.
That applies to a laptop too. I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Your initial comment was that a laptop battery is limited. You do realize that you can plug a laptop into any outlet that you can plug a desktop into, right?

Quote:
I guess the title of this thread should have been 'Laptops vs Desktops for 99% of people'. I would also say that it is way less than 99% that can not have this capability. Most of the new construction around here has fiber network connections (and the house is wired with fiber), to handle OC-3, OC-12, OC-48... but I have absolutely no idea why anyone would need that capacity in their home.
This entire thread is based on the thesis in the OP that states "hardly anyone needs a desktop computer anymore".

Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:

I thought the thread was 'Laptops V. Desktops'.
I suppose I should have added "for the Average User" which you, apparently, are not.

As for storage:
"For the few folks who need massive storage, they use a NAS or SAN. I have twelve 2TB hard drives in a SAN, and 2TB of SSDs (4) in my desktop. The SAN is fast enough most of the time. For anything faster, I just work off of the SSDs. My laptop, however, only has 1TB of SSDs (2)."

Um... the average user would just use this thing called "AN EXTERNAL USB DRIVE"... desktop OR laptop.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I suppose I should have added "for the Average User" which you, apparently, are not.

As for storage:
"For the few folks who need massive storage, they use a NAS or SAN. I have twelve 2TB hard drives in a SAN, and 2TB of SSDs (4) in my desktop. The SAN is fast enough most of the time. For anything faster, I just work off of the SSDs. My laptop, however, only has 1TB of SSDs (2)."

Um... the average user would just use this thing called "AN EXTERNAL USB DRIVE"... desktop OR laptop.
I hear ya with the external usb drives. I was specifically targeting those who have larger storage needs as opposed to the average user.

But on your point, an external usb drive can be plugged into a desktop or laptop (as you stated).

Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I hear ya with the external usb drives. I was specifically targeting those who have larger storage needs as opposed to the average user.
Yea, I know. I'll say it for you: "for the nerds".

I'm just simplifying for what we were originally talking about: average folks.

You are sidetracking us SuperSparkle. Go start a thread called: "Why nerds need powerful desktop computers".

(Of course I use the word NERD with the utmost affection. It's obvious I am one, isn't it?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or