U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 08:58 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,307,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, I know. I'll say it for you: "for the nerds".

I'm just simplifying for what we were originally talking about: average folks.

You are sidetracking us SuperSparkle. Go start a thread called: "Why nerds need powerful desktop computers".

(Of course I use the word NERD with the utmost affection. It's obvious I am one, isn't it?)
People in the deep south tend to add a "bless his little heart" to that. I always knew I was in trouble if somebody said that to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 AM

398 posts, read 632,982 times
Having a desktop computer doesn't make you more nerdy or geeky... I don't play games, I don't download torrents and need huge storage for videos, I'm just not a collector. I would consider myself a minimalist geek. My apartment is very "zen" if I had to describe it to people. I have several remote servers running redhat, vmware esxi and centos. But for my home, all I need is a laptop. I moved most of my stuff to remote storage years ago. Hell, I could manage everything and code from my android device if I needed to, I have VPN,SSH,SFTP all on there as well as text editors. My extremely important files are both on remote servers, and in dropbox so there is no worry about data loss. Now, let's turn back the clock 10 years... I used to have a 42U server cabinet in my bedroom, but it was necessary then. Cheaper data rates, cheaper storage and faster internet speeds all changed that. The model has been shifting for awhile now to more powerful servers doing the "work", and more minimalist client machines as the interface.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,439,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, I know. I'll say it for you: "for the nerds".

I'm just simplifying for what we were originally talking about: average folks.

You are sidetracking us SuperSparkle. Go start a thread called: "Why nerds need powerful desktop computers".

(Of course I use the word NERD with the utmost affection. It's obvious I am one, isn't it?)

Sorry to sidetrack.

I know you are a nerd too (back when I was in college, way back then, we were called a 'knurd', which is the reverse spelling of 'drunk'. Work hard, play hard
Mine in red.

(Lizz0rd, I still have my 42U cabinets, but now they are filled with audio equipment)

Last edited by SuperSparkle928; 03-15-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 09:34 AM

872 posts, read 1,661,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
For some games they can be, and depending upon the quality of your computer the console can be a better experience.

I'll give a couple of examples where I think a PC is better:

As discussed on another thread here recently, the XBox 360 was released something like 5 or 6 years ago, so the technology in it is actually pretty dated compared to the newest computer. Even my 4 year old computer with a 2 year old video card produces better graphics on new games than my son's 360 does (and he's plugged into a 50" plasma TV, where I only have a 22" monitor).

I have lots of games that are only available on PC. Of course there are also games that are only released on consoles, and even exclusive titles that are only released on certain consoles, but I think that the number of PC only titles far outweighs the console only ones. Until recently getting a game onto a console required a lot of money, where releasing an independent title on PC can be fairly inexpensive to do.

I prefer a keyboard and mouse to a game controller. For certain game types the controller feels slow and clunky compared to using a keyboard and mouse. Most PC gamers that I know prefer the PC for the better graphics, and the keyboard / mouse input. Of course there are games that are better with the controller, and I have a 360 controller plugged into my PC for just those games. There are also lots of additional controller types that can be plugged into a PC for specific game types.

On top of those things, many PC games get extra content that never makes it onto the console versions, including community created content and mods. Some games even provide the PC versions with free content that is charged for on the consoles, although that is becoming less frequent with the prevalence of DLC.
Curious, would you say the above applies to fighting games, action-adventure games (think Super Mario or GTA), or sports games?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
Curious, would you say the above applies to fighting games, action-adventure games (think Super Mario or GTA), or sports games?
I don't play fighting or sports games, so I don't have anything to really go off of, but if you have a game that's built for a modern video card, and they produce a version for a 5 year old platform as well, then I'd believe that they would have to fall back to the graphics capability of the platform. As for controllers vs keyboard and mouse, think these type of games are probably optimized for consoles and controllers.

Super Mario would be unique since it's both platform specific (there are no official PC versions so it was never optimized for the platform), and was always designed to use a controller.

GTA is a great example for me. I started with FPS games on the PC (before there really were any on consoles) so I prefer a keyboard and mouse for first person games. I generally don't like 3rd person games due to the wonky camera angle issues, but there are a few that do a good job of locking the camera to the mouse when the mouse is used and I really enjoy them. GTA IV is a good example, as are Saints The Third and Just Cause. With all of these titles I use the keyboard and mouse when on foot, and switch to the 360 controller as soon as I get in a vehicle.

These are good examples of games that have better experiences in on the PC IMO. The graphics are better, you get mods on the PC (With GTA and Just Cause at least), and you get the best of both worlds for controllers (again, in my opinion).

Another good example of games that have a far better experience on the PC are the Valve games (The Orange Box games, and Portal in particular). On the PC versions there are hundreds of maps and mods for these games that completely change how the game plays (most are community made), where you are stuck with what came with the games on the console.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I think the biggest one and many would agree are first person shooters.
FPS games are much better on PC.
But sports and fighting games are better with a controller.

Of course you can always hook up a controller to a PC, too.
I think even the Xbox one itself plug and plays into a PC.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 PM

28,905 posts, read 47,355,276 times
I have multiple clients in different states. I travel all the cotton-picking time. There's no way I could have a desktop.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:03 PM

626 posts, read 781,669 times
If you get a laptop, you better get a damn good security lock and cable to connect it to something when you are not using it so no one can steal it from you.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:21 PM

28,905 posts, read 47,355,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
If you get a laptop, you better get a damn good security lock and cable to connect it to something when you are not using it so no one can steal it from you.
Or just keep it with you. That's why I have a briefcase.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:48 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,328,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
I noticed when I went to Best Buy all the NEW laptops never had that Security Cable Slot for Laptop Security Cables, - not like my old 2006 Dell E1705. Modern laptops are screwed up, and they have no modem too like my E1705.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or