U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I noticed when I went to Best Buy all the NEW laptops never had that Security Cable Slot for Laptop Security Cables, - not like my old 2006 Dell E1705. Modern laptops are screwed up, and they have no modem too like my E1705.
Modem? Do you also long for a floppy drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 05:42 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
If you get a laptop, you better get a damn good security lock and cable to connect it to something when you are not using it so no one can steal it from you.
I use a cable lock as a deterrent sometimes. Anyone really determined to steal it could get around it. That's what insurance is for. From having laptops since the early 90s, I've never had one stolen.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I noticed when I went to Best Buy all the NEW laptops never had that Security Cable Slot for Laptop Security Cables, - not like my old 2006 Dell E1705. Modern laptops are screwed up, and they have no modem too like my E1705.
You can still find laptops with modems. The ThinkPad W520 has a modem.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,967 times
How about you get both? Everything has a niche.

My desktop does all my heavy lifting. If I want to be productive, I sit at my desktop, crank up the surround and the bass, and take full advantage of multiple large LCDs to get. ****. done.

My laptop is for mobility. Going out of town for the weekend? Performing a service call? Working on a (physical) project? If I need more space than my desk provides, it means I've got something to build or take apart, and that's where my laptop comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
Having a desktop computer doesn't make you more nerdy or geeky... I don't play games, I don't download torrents and need huge storage for videos, I'm just not a collector. I would consider myself a minimalist geek. My apartment is very "zen" if I had to describe it to people. I have several remote servers running redhat, vmware esxi and centos. But for my home, all I need is a laptop. I moved most of my stuff to remote storage years ago. Hell, I could manage everything and code from my android device if I needed to, I have VPN,SSH,SFTP all on there as well as text editors. My extremely important files are both on remote servers, and in dropbox so there is no worry about data loss. Now, let's turn back the clock 10 years... I used to have a 42U server cabinet in my bedroom, but it was necessary then. Cheaper data rates, cheaper storage and faster internet speeds all changed that. The model has been shifting for awhile now to more powerful servers doing the "work", and more minimalist client machines as the interface.
I do believe this is "cloud" computing. I'm a collector. I terabytes of data stored on numerous volumes, all centrally stored on my desktop. I prefer to have immediate access to them, rather than trust a third-party and broadband connection.

The only thing I leave up to the cloud is my email. I can understand your position though. I keep most of my work documents on DropBox for ease of access anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think the biggest one and many would agree are first person shooters.
FPS games are much better on PC.
But sports and fighting games are better with a controller.

Of course you can always hook up a controller to a PC, too.
I think even the Xbox one itself plug and plays into a PC.
I will unequivocally say that multiplayer games are better on consoles. Everybody is equal on a console. Nobody has better technology on any one PS3 or any one Xbox. Everybody starts even, and the only difference is your skill.

I love the ever-living **** out of my desktop for anything that isn't multiplayer. The community mods alone make PC gaming the best platform for gaming. But for competition, I'd prefer to play on a console where it's fair.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:10 AM

393 posts, read 651,764 times
When my laptop can house 10TB's run 2 GTX 570's, run a Intel IVY Bridge at 5.0 GHZ and have interchangeable components I'll worry about replacing all my desktops in the house into laptops but until then....

Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
When my laptop can house 10TB's run 2 GTX 570's, run a Intel IVY Bridge at 5.0 GHZ and have interchangeable components I'll worry about replacing all my desktops in the house into laptops but until then....
Your desktop can't do that until IVY Bridge is available.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:35 PM

398 posts, read 632,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
How about you get both? Everything has a niche.

My desktop does all my heavy lifting. If I want to be productive, I sit at my desktop, crank up the surround and the bass, and take full advantage of multiple large LCDs to get. ****. done.

My laptop is for mobility. Going out of town for the weekend? Performing a service call? Working on a (physical) project? If I need more space than my desk provides, it means I've got something to build or take apart, and that's where my laptop comes in.

I do believe this is "cloud" computing. I'm a collector. I terabytes of data stored on numerous volumes, all centrally stored on my desktop. I prefer to have immediate access to them, rather than trust a third-party and broadband connection.

The only thing I leave up to the cloud is my email. I can understand your position though. I keep most of my work documents on DropBox for ease of access anywhere.

I will unequivocally say that multiplayer games are better on consoles. Everybody is equal on a console. Nobody has better technology on any one PS3 or any one Xbox. Everybody starts even, and the only difference is your skill.

I love the ever-living **** out of my desktop for anything that isn't multiplayer. The community mods alone make PC gaming the best platform for gaming. But for competition, I'd prefer to play on a console where it's fair.

oh yeah, best of both worlds sure. I was in that position for awhile but found I never used the desktop. But of course, having both would be better.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:43 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think the biggest one and many would agree are first person shooters.
FPS games are much better on PC.
But sports and fighting games are better with a controller.

Of course you can always hook up a controller to a PC, too.
I think even the Xbox one itself plug and plays into a PC.
I play a lot of FPS on my PS3 and have no problems with the game play or the graphics. Not sure why the comment was made.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:05 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I play a lot of FPS on my PS3 and have no problems with the game play or the graphics. Not sure why the comment was made.
The idea is that shooters are much more precise with a mouse (which is admittedly true), but how many people play shooters single-player only anymore? It's all about competition, and I would much rather play that on a locked-down console where hacks and cheats are much lower.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:33 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
I can't play many FPS games on PC anymore, I use my xbox for that. I'm just better with a controller. With the exception of CS:S (and CS:GO soon enough) that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or