U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:11 PM

471 posts, read 1,375,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
For some games they can be, and depending upon the quality of your computer the console can be a better experience.

I'll give a couple of examples where I think a PC is better:

As discussed on another thread here recently, the XBox 360 was released something like 5 or 6 years ago, so the technology in it is actually pretty dated compared to the newest computer. Even my 4 year old computer with a 2 year old video card produces better graphics on new games than my son's 360 does (and he's plugged into a 50" plasma TV, where I only have a 22" monitor).

I have lots of games that are only available on PC. Of course there are also games that are only released on consoles, and even exclusive titles that are only released on certain consoles, but I think that the number of PC only titles far outweighs the console only ones. Until recently getting a game onto a console required a lot of money, where releasing an independent title on PC can be fairly inexpensive to do.

I prefer a keyboard and mouse to a game controller. For certain game types the controller feels slow and clunky compared to using a keyboard and mouse. Most PC gamers that I know prefer the PC for the better graphics, and the keyboard / mouse input. Of course there are games that are better with the controller, and I have a 360 controller plugged into my PC for just those games. There are also lots of additional controller types that can be plugged into a PC for specific game types.

On top of those things, many PC games get extra content that never makes it onto the console versions, including community created content and mods. Some games even provide the PC versions with free content that is charged for on the consoles, although that is becoming less frequent with the prevalence of DLC.

The last point I'll make can give either platform an edge, and that's developer focus. Usually developers build for a certain platform, and then port the game to the others. Almost always the original target platform has the best experience. There are some big name developers that have the money to do a really good job on 3 or 4 versions of the same game, but many times one version or the other suffers. For instance, Saints Row 2 was ported from the console version to the PC, and was done so poorly that it's become an example of how not to do a port. They couldn't even be bothered to get the arrow keys or mouse support working in the menus.
Thanks for the explanation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Plus, some games are originally made for the console and ported over to the PC. Usually, they do it improperly and it turns into a horrid experience.

The thing about consoles is you just put the game in and go, it just works. With PCs, sometimes you might need (or want) to upgrade the video card or processor or something if you want the higher quality settings.

The downside about consoles on certain games is lack of modification. With skyrim, for example, there is a HUGE community of mod makers that change the game completely. With the 360, you can't install any mods, and if you come across a bug, there is no console so you can't fix it yourself, you have to wait for Bethseda to fix it...which they might not do, depending on the severity of the bug.

In any event, there are certain games that I will only play on consoles (mostly FPS, like MW3 or BF2) and there are certain games that I will only play on PC (strategy games, ARPGs like skyrim or diablo 3 [yes, they are making D3 for the console], etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 08:53 AM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
The idea is that shooters are much more precise with a mouse (which is admittedly true), but how many people play shooters single-player only anymore? It's all about competition, and I would much rather play that on a locked-down console where hacks and cheats are much lower.
At least one...

Old 03-18-2012, 05:32 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
The idea is that shooters are much more precise with a mouse (which is admittedly true), but how many people play shooters single-player only anymore? It's all about competition, and I would much rather play that on a locked-down console where hacks and cheats are much lower.
Many many people.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:35 PM

56,597 posts, read 75,678,865 times
everything u said is true, but i am pretty tight. i keep a desktop on the average 5 years.
i dont play the throwaway laptop game. a tablet and itouche serve ok for the field as long as i dont have to do any heavy typing.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
everything u said is true, but i am pretty tight. i keep a desktop on the average 5 years.
i dont play the throwaway laptop game. a tablet and itouche serve ok for the field as long as i dont have to do any heavy typing.
I'm sure you're aware but I thought I'd mention it anyways. You can get tablets with keyboards for heavy typing.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:50 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I keep my laptops at least five years. Where's the throw away in that? Perhaps you shouldn't drop them quite so often...

Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Many many people.
I'm sure. Though, like I said, I'd prefer competitive games be on a fixed platform. Consoles provide that where PCs can't.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 AM

9,801 posts, read 18,750,401 times
A laptop computer would be more to my liking then a desktop. I just wonder how much a good used or refurbished unit costs & how long it would last ? My net usage is very basic & the laptop would never leave my home. I also know very little about using a computer as im on msntv & have been since 2001 (never used the internet prior to that).

Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,092,512 times
I never used laptop except at work when gone from office.I own a lap top but seldom use it now. I think it depends the person. Same with use a of cellphone as I see people shopping and eating while talking on them to what is obviously just friends and family. No way here. I am not beyond saying I am eating or shopping; I'll call you back if not important.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I never used laptop except at work when gone from office.I own a lap top but seldom use it now. I think it depends the person. Same with use a of cellphone as I see people shopping and eating while talking on them to what is obviously just friends and family. No way here. I am not beyond saying I am eating or shopping; I'll call you back if not important.
You have to have AT&T, T-Mobile or another GSM provider to actually talk to people while you're shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or