U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 02:20 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Most PC games are designed for consoles first and then ported to PC (not always a direct port, but its base code and design is from the console version) which is why you see no real major advantage of PC's over consoles these days (well, aside from the input arguments). Considering that console games are stilling running on hardware that is nearing a decade old, it is no surprise why few can tell the difference in PC vs Console power anymore.

There are some mod adaptations for some games where the PC version was greatly enhanced in graphics and features that I think many laptops would likely struggle with (that is if we are pushing the performance envelope), but most "base" PC games out there are pretty much the same in their power needs as the consoles.
This is not accurate at all. For many games, PC versions are designed to take advantage of higher end hardware available in PCs out of the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 PM

5,396 posts, read 6,639,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I suggested in another thread that hardly anyone needs a desktop computer anymore.

I was soundly disagreed with. In order to not sidetrack that thread I started this one.

Reasons other folks said I was wrong:
  • People should only buy laptops if they beed mobile computing
I don't buy that. I have been recommending laptops to family and friends for over 6 years now. To a person: every single one that I have talked into getting a laptop when at least half of them were set on a desktop: thanked me later.
Aunt Margie? She looks up recipes on her laptop and then takes the laptop into the kitchen with her so can view it right there. She doesn't have to go sit in the den and waste paper printing a recipe she is only going to use once.

Cousin Mary: Probably the most adamant the she did not need a laptop. Loves the convenience. She slides her laptop under the couch when she isn't using it. Any time she wants to look something up real quick? Slide it out. Open. Google. Close. Back under the couch. No walking into the den. Sit down. Fire up computer.
  • You can't upgrade laptops
So what. Ask yourself, and honestly answer: what is the #1 thing people upgrade in computers? RAM. That is the one thing that people upgrade more then anything. That's even EASIER to do in a laptop. People aren't upgrading processors and video cards, except maybe gamers. When the average computer was $1,200, maybe. But now a cheap desktop is $400. A cheap laptop $500. People don't upgrade like they used to. Computers get replaced today... not upgraded.
  • They break more often
Ok, well I suppose. They are portable after all. Any number of things can happen. But less reliable? I don't think so. My laptops seems to last quite some time.

*Disclaimer before I upset someone: These are my opinions only. I am not saying any of this is FACT. I believe most folks will agree with me, but maybe not. Let's find out. Discuss.
Laptop hardware always lags behind and is inevitably less-powerful, than their sister desktop hardware components. I want the maximum degree of hardware expandability and raw engineering power, and so I have never owned a laptop as a result, b/c it is impossible to do that with a laptop, vs. with an ultra-high end desktop. I also usually buy computers for a 7+ year lifecycle, and so I need the most powerful and ahead-of-the-curve hardware.

My current workstation desktop computer is running on two 4.4 GHz x5698 Xeon chips, which are still the fastest stock-clock chips ever manufactured by Intel. My desktop can also take up to a max of 192 GB RAM. You just can't get these kinds of power-configuration and brute-strength specs on a laptop... (I had this custom desktop system built for approximately $1,400, plus an additional $2000 for the two 4.4GHz Xeon chips.)

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 07-06-2013 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Adds

Old 07-07-2013, 01:51 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,580,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is not accurate at all. For many games, PC versions are designed to take advantage of higher end hardware available in PCs out of the box.
Core engine design of those games is the same. You can throw on a few graphics card manipulations, but the games designed to today are primarily designed to facilitate console design. From their interfaces, to the basic functionaries of how their core processing works, they are console developed.

That is slapping on some overlays, increasing resolution, etc.. are meaningless.

Look at those games closely. Look at the core models, while they "look" more defined to an extent, they are simply tacked on versions of the core, limited by the core.

Games these days are made from the design of consoles. Some... but very few attempt to design themselves to that of a PCs capability.

You will see what I mean with games like Star Citizen when it comes out in the next couple of years. It is designed for PC, specifically for PC. In fact, this was chosen because the creator Chris Roberts said that he could not make the game on the technology that consoles provide.

If you look back to the days when PC games were more common and consolidation approach of game programming wasn't prominent, you saw how as each new PC game came out, it pushed the limitations of the video card, processor, etc....

For all but a "few" key games, I have seen max settings of various games today run on machines that are quite old. The reason? As I said, because their cores are designed for consoles.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
My current workstation desktop computer is running on two 4.4 GHz x5698 Xeon chips, which are still the fastest stock-clock chips ever manufactured by Intel. My desktop can also take up to a max of 192 GB RAM. You just can't get these kinds of power-configuration and brute-strength specs on a laptop... (I had this custom desktop system built for approximately $1,400, plus an additional $2000 for the two 4.4GHz Xeon chips.)

You ever try messing with some programs to force load your entire system to run in RAM with that much memory?

Old 07-07-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
While most PC games will have minimum settings to help them run on lower end PCs, modern PC games, on a high end machine, look nothing like their console versions.

We have two moderate gaming rigs, and one high end rig, along with one each of the current gen consoles, and many of the same games on multiple platforms. For the latest high end games, the difference is more than noticeable on the PCs. None of this is with mods, but with straight out of the box games.

I don't know of any laptop available that can actually match my gaming / work rig, and certainly not for anywhere near the same price.
There are some Skunk, but many are just... well... they really aren't "designed" for PC as much as they are turning on a bunch of effects to make them appear better looking. That is my point though, the cores are designed for console, then... they throw in some "effect" based options for PC, but that is it. Some games, they have to replace the entire texture bases through mods because they were made for consoles.

Do you remember how different a game looked to the earlier consoles on PC back before this started? There was night and day, and I don't mean just cleaner edges, shadows, and gimmick graphics effects, I mean the models were higher resolution textures. I remember taking the latest game when it was released and turning it on max settings to look how amazing it was, but obviously, all but the monster machines could run it practically, even then... they had lags.

These days, I can run anything on a machine that is 6+ years old and still hit a fairly steady 30+ FPS and the reason is... because their base code design is for consoles (which are nearing 10 years old).

Some games yes, there is a difference, but consoles have been holding back PC games for quite a while now.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:13 PM

5,396 posts, read 6,639,103 times
Quote:
You ever try messing with some programs to force load your entire system to run in RAM with that much memory?
Not so far...right now I only currently have 16 GB RAM actually installed, atm. The primary reason I wanted that much total memory capacity is because I want a longer lifespan and lifecycle for the actual machine, rather than just the usual standard 2-3 years of use Replacing computers at the end of their useful lifecycle can be a major pain, so I try to stave that off for as long as possible

Old 07-07-2013, 02:36 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
Quote:
I have 32GB of RAM on my workstation laptop (16gb on my regular laptop). Windows will aggressively "SuperFetch" everything into standby on its own. You don't need to force it.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I have 32GB of RAM on my workstation laptop (16gb on my regular laptop). Windows will aggressively "SuperFetch" everything into standby on its own. You don't need to force it.
There is "some" (I guess it really depends on what you are using it for) benefit to forcing it past what Windows usually does, my interest was if he had done it personally. I have seen several guides on how to force the OS to think your ram is a hard drive, but they have limitations and there are conditions on boot and shutdown (imaging for power off storage). I think it is a bit easier to configure linux for such.

I also read some about the ANS9010 RAM disks, which are interesting and are pretty fast when you consider SATA theoretical throughput which makes it more appealing than many flash drive implementations.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:55 AM

10,668 posts, read 5,070,107 times
I live in a very small apartment & stay home 95% of the time,
so a desktop computer suits me just fine,
I have no need for something that compromises just for sake of portability.
Same reason I have a landline not a cell phone.
However, I recognize I'm not representative of most other folks.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:28 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,378,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
I live in a very small apartment & stay home 95% of the time,
so a desktop computer suits me just fine,
I have no need for something that compromises just for sake of portability.
Same reason I have a landline not a cell phone.
However, I recognize I'm not representative of most other folks.
Ouch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or