U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 AM

24,683 posts, read 46,372,457 times

Advertisements

Laptops are definitely the dominant PC nowadays - combination of price, need for mobility and now that they are competitive. Desktops are still good to customise/for professionals, but laptops are definitely preferred by most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:24 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Other than RAM, what is easily upgradeable on a laptop?
Just by looking at my laptops:

SSD: I can replace the existing one or add a second one.
Wifi: I can replace the Wifi Card should something better than 802.11n come out.
Mobile: I can replace the mobile card with a new one if I switch carriers.
ExpressCard: I can add TV tuners, soundcards, network interfaces, or even a third SSD if I needed.

Not as much as with a desktop, but there is room for some upgrades.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I think the answer for many people is both a desktop and laptop.

I greatly prefer my fast desktop when I edit video or manage my music. It has >2 Tb of storage, none of it external. It has great audio. It has two monitors.

My quad core i5 Dell laptop at work theoretically has a faster processor. But there is no doubt the system is slower than my quad core Q6600 desktop.

I use my laptop in the living room. But for serious work I use the desktop.

I think down the road a tablet better than an iPad would be a good alternative to a laptop. But that tablet doesn't exist yet.
I currently have a desktop for my video editing as well but don't see why a laptop could not work. Most hardcore video editors don't store video on an internal drive anyways. And you can connect two monitors and a good soundcard to a laptop. You would have to shell out for a faster laptop CPU. Surely not the most economical way... but it will work just as well.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times

Netbook + Laptop = 61% with desktops pulling a mere 27% last year... predicted to be less then a fifth of sales by 2015...

Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,914,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I currently have a desktop for my video editing as well but don't see why a laptop could not work. Most hardcore video editors don't store video on an internal drive anyways. And you can connect two monitors and a good soundcard to a laptop. You would have to shell out for a faster laptop CPU. Surely not the most economical way... but it will work just as well.
Sure it will work. But the question is what is better?

By its stationary nature, roomy case, and power supply, a desktop is easier for many things.

Part of a desktop's advantage for some things is that it ISN'T portable. Nothing has to be unplugged when you want to move because you won't move it.

Do you serve up music files or movies over streaming? Probably want that library stationary and up all the time. Probably best over wired ethernet, not wireless.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,914,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Just by looking at my laptops:

SSD: I can replace the existing one or add a second one.
Wifi: I can replace the Wifi Card should something better than 802.11n come out.
Mobile: I can replace the mobile card with a new one if I switch carriers.
ExpressCard: I can add TV tuners, soundcards, network interfaces, or even a third SSD if I needed.

Not as much as with a desktop, but there is room for some upgrades.
Almost no laptops can add a second drive.

And plugging in things to me is not upgrading. It is adding on. Please don't tell me that plugging in a USB drive is an upgrade.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,402,578 times
(For me) the only reason I would want a desktop is for hardcore gaming. They can be upgraded easily, and of course are cheaper. But, I like my laptop so I can browse the Internet while my wife watches her terrible reality shows. This way, I can still spend time with her and don't have to pay attention to The Real Desperate Housewives in the Amazing Race to be the last Survivor in the Big Brother house.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Almost no laptops can add a second drive.

And plugging in things to me is not upgrading. It is adding on. Please don't tell me that plugging in a USB drive is an upgrade.
Everything I mentioned sits inside the casing. I didn't mention USB at all. If plugging something into an msata port is an addon for a laptop, the same applies to plugging something into a sata port for a desktop

You can add second drives to many laptops, including Lenovo ThinkPads and Dell Latitudes. Many laptops (if not most) include msata and/or expresscard slots. Some, like the latitudes even have a second sata port that you can utilize by taking out the cd/dvd drive.

Last edited by NJBest; 02-28-2012 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,656,019 times
Quote:
Other than RAM, what is easily upgradeable on a laptop?
If you look at the link I posted for the Macbook Pro you'd see....

And if you continue to peruse the Ifixit site you'll see roughly the same thing for Windows laptops as well...

Old 02-28-2012, 12:46 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,656,019 times
Each has their good and bad points, just like Windows vs OS-X or NY pizza vs Chicago pizza.

I have both, I use both...

Last edited by plwhit; 02-28-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or