U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Though when looking at the overall function of a laptop and what people use it for. These things offer marginal at best functionality.
Same applies to desktops. Most people aren't upgrading CPUs, motherboards and video cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Um yeah...the standard NIC card that comes stock with even the cheapest laptops is plenty fast enough to utilize their internet connection's entire capacity.
And extra hard drive space? I will give you that one.
If a faster WIFI standard came out, I'd upgrade in a second. 802.11n is so slow that I have often use ethernet. But for many people, it's probably enough. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Wow. I gave birth to a fun and interesting thread? Really?
I am so proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Anyways, what do people in Ohio know about pizza other than maybe Dominoes or Papa Johns?
OK well just because we don't have Cleveland-style pizza... and ok, far to many Dominos and Papa Johns... doesn't mean we don't have a few good indy pizza joints.
And not to mention: Ohioans DO travel, ya' know! And we used to have a few Pizzeria Unos, chain yes, but true Chicago Pizza.
I miss it so much.... We have a few NY style places here, but pretty much ZERO Chicago Style.

Ok where is the laptop discussion now... o yea: upgrading.

I am a hard core PC nerd/gamer. A good looking one, though.
Everyone I know comes to me for computer stuff. Tired of that? OMG I am. BUT I know a bit about what average consumers do. And today? In 2012? PEOPLE REPLACE. THEY DO NOT UPGRADE. You can't deny this.
When I started this thread I intended it to talk about the AVERAGE CONSUMER, Not the guy cutting video or encoding audio or recording his band... the AVERAGE consumer. And in my experience the only reason the AVERAGE CONSUMER is AFRAID to try a laptop is because: THEY ARE AFRAID. OK not literally shaking in their boots afraid, but you know what I mean... afraid to try something different because a desktop is all they have ever known. Everyone I have told to get a laptop, every AVERAGE user that just wants email and Facebook, and internet, every average 80 yr old aunt and 15 year old niece: is happy. Yep. Even mom-in-law that put her laptop right where her desktop was. And never moves it. She's happy. Because the ONE time... the ONE time she wants to move her laptop to show her precious little grandson to her friends, she can simply unplug it and take it to the dining room.
That is my point. For the AVERAGE every day non-power user: laptops are the way to go. Especially today. I often hear "they are to small. Keyboard too small. Screen to small". With 17 inch laptops that have full keyboards and numberpads? That argument is dead, too.

I win this discussion. WIN WIN WIN I AM THE CHAMPION!

(I sincerely hope everyone knows when I am joking... )

Old 02-29-2012, 02:41 PM

3,685 posts, read 8,495,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If a faster WIFI standard came out, I'd upgrade in a second. 802.11n is so slow that I have often use ethernet. But for many people, it's probably enough. To each their own.
You must be have gigabit Ethernet in your home if you find 802.11n too slow. I can get about 80Mbps of file transfer throughput on a WPA2-secured 802.11n, which is within about 15% of fast Ethernet. It might be too slow for large file transfers, but for anything under 100MB I can live with it.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:04 PM

3,131 posts, read 5,418,342 times
I believe that the NUMBER ONE best combination anybody could have is a Desktop + Smart Phone. What can be done on a laptop, can be done on a smartphone. You can view webpages in other rooms, play mobile games, chat with friends, etc all from your phone.

When you want to play some high end games, work CAD software, program, etc, you can use your Desktop.

IMO, I dont see the need for a laptop anymore, at least not until they can catch up with Desktops for hardware and price. Desktops are not for everyone. I think only those who truly need the extra resources are the ones who should buy them. If you aren't an extensive gamer or programmer/designer, you should just get a smart phone and call it a day.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:07 PM

3,131 posts, read 5,418,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
You must be have gigabit Ethernet in your home if you find 802.11n too slow. I can get about 80Mbps of file transfer throughput on a WPA2-secured 802.11n, which is within about 15% of fast Ethernet. It might be too slow for large file transfers, but for anything under 100MB I can live with it.
Gaming is still not ideal with wireless internet. Your pings tend to run a little high. This is why I prefer to use a hardwired connection. No matter what router/setup you have, you will never match a hardwired connection for reliability and ping.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,183,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I don't, that's why I said "which might not be true" - There is a woman here that just bought one of these that I had to set up:

Definitely not easily accessible. This process seems extremely complicated just to swap a hard drive out of:

How To Take Apart an iMac (and Replace its Hard Drive) - Tested

(I know that's not a macbook, but this particular model iMac was the original meaning of my comment, I figured their "unibody" systems were similar to this on their laptops)
It is? I was able to open my imac, swap out a hard drive, and put it back together again in less than an hour. Sure it took a bit longer than switching out a hard drive on a tower, but how often do you really do that anyway.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:00 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Yes, I have gigabit with JF enabled throughout the house. 80Mbps is too slow for many activities. But when I'm just browsing the web or whatever it's nice to just carry the laptop or tablet around on wifi. Wifi is still faster than 4g near me.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
It is? I was able to open my imac, swap out a hard drive, and put it back together again in less than an hour. Sure it took a bit longer than switching out a hard drive on a tower, but how often do you really do that anyway.
I do it every 2-3 weeks, on average

Less than an hour is not what I would consider even relatively easily accessible. Again, this is based on ME, not "most people".

Old 02-29-2012, 05:46 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I do it every 2-3 weeks, on average

Less than an hour is not what I would consider even relatively easily accessible. Again, this is based on ME, not "most people".
Not to mention that even an idiot could probably figure out how to open a PC tower and replace a hard drive, assuming he knew what a hard drive looked like and how to turn a Phillips screw driver. Good luck figuring out how to disassemble and reassemble an iMac on your own without damaging something.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:06 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Not to mention that even an idiot could probably figure out how to open a PC tower and replace a hard drive, assuming he knew what a hard drive looked like and how to turn a Phillips screw driver. Good luck figuring out how to disassemble and reassemble an iMac on your own without damaging something.
iMac Repair - iFixit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or