U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:17 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times

Advertisements

I suggested in another thread that hardly anyone needs a desktop computer anymore.

I was soundly disagreed with. In order to not sidetrack that thread I started this one.
Reasons other folks said I was wrong:
  • People should only buy laptops if they beed mobile computing
I don't buy that. I have been recommending laptops to family and friends for over 6 years now. To a person: every single one that I have talked into getting a laptop when at least half of them were set on a desktop: thanked me later.
Aunt Margie? She looks up recipes on her laptop and then takes the laptop into the kitchen with her so can view it right there. She doesn't have to go sit in the den and waste paper printing a recipe she is only going to use once.
Cousin Mary: Probably the most adamant the she did not need a laptop. Loves the convenience. She slides her laptop under the couch when she isn't using it. Any time she wants to look something up real quick? Slide it out. Open. Google. Close. Back under the couch. No walking into the den. Sit down. Fire up computer.
  • You can't upgrade laptops
So what. Ask yourself, and honestly answer: what is the #1 thing people upgrade in computers? RAM. That is the one thing that people upgrade more then anything. That's even EASIER to do in a laptop. People aren't upgrading processors and video cards, except maybe gamers. When the average computer was $1,200, maybe. But now a cheap desktop is $400. A cheap laptop $500. People don't upgrade like they used to. Computers get replaced today... not upgraded.
  • They break more often
Ok, well I suppose. They are portable after all. Any number of things can happen. But less reliable? I don't think so. My laptops seems to last quite some time.

*Disclaimer before I upset someone: These are my opinions only. I am not saying any of this is FACT. I believe most folks will agree with me, but maybe not. Let's find out. Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
O wait, one more.
  • You get less computing power for your money

Yea, because MOST people NEED a quad core machine to play Bejeweled on Facebook, right? The trade off isn't so extreme. A $500 laptop will do everything a $400 desktop can do...

Old 02-27-2012, 03:46 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,331,901 times
When I got my Feb 2006 $2550 Dell E1705 laptop it replaced my 2001 AMD desktop as my main computer. Used it for everything including gaming. From 2006 to mid 2008 laptop graphics cards kinda kept up with desktop versions, then later they couldn't keep up. Then desktop video cards started to have dual monitor capability. Around 2008+ 24" LCD monitors started getting cheaper. So when I built my i7 920 desktop in Nov 2008 I went back to a desktop as my main computer.

Desktops are better for everything now... games, applications, Adobe CS5, CAD, FEA, web browsing, etc. No laptop can match my dual monitor computer with output to a 30" Dell 2560 x 1600 monitor + a 25.5" 1920 x 1200 Samsung monitor.

In the 4 years I heavily used my Dell laptop, it had about 5 warranty repairs. Now I rarely use my Dell laptops and bought a spare one so I can preserve and use my laptops until they die. My 1st E1705 laptop is now 6 years old and still good enough, but I use the spare one for mobile computing and vacations. My 1st E1705 is reserved for MS Streets & Trips Car GPS.

I'd say it's best to live with a combination laptop + desktop.

My next laptop will be Ivy Bridge or later and with next gen Nvidia cards too. I can wait and I hardly use my laptops anymore. Desktops are where POWER computing is at.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:56 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,657,958 times
I have a laptop, yes... Macbook Pro.

Which system do I use the most? The Windows desktop system I put together 4 years ago.

I have little need of mobile computing, I really don't want to sit outside on the patio in 105 degree temps to Skype with my kids.

I don't need to look up recipes online while I'm in the kitchen nor do I need to research anything while I'm using the commode.

Any time I need something quick? I sit down at my desk and type. I don't have to slide out anything nor wait for it to awaken.

The #1 thing I have upgraded over the years? - Video card.

I've thrown away 2 laptops over the years, not as reliable as my desktop by far.

So Peregrine, where is this study/poll you talked about?

Quote:
for 95% of consumers out there, there is ZERO need for a desktop computer.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:56 PM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
We have three desktop and three laptop computers.

My main use is a laptop that sits next to my easy chair in the family room on a folding table.

My desktop is upstairs on a desk. It's not connected.

Mrs. Teks main computer is a laptop that is on a folding table next to her chair in our family room.

Her desktop is upstairs in her office. She uses it for paying bills, etc because that's where all the file storage is.

At some point we will be moving her hard drives into my desktop because it's faster.

The third laptop is used for archiving files for a client who is a transcriptionist. That will be going away some time this year (we think) and it will then be used by Mrs. Tek for old games.

The third desktop is an older one that was a p2p server for our intranet, and now holds Windows Home Server 2011 and will soon control our in-house security cameras and control the lights and appliances.

The fastest, most powerful computer in the house is my laptop.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,708,241 times
I have a laptop and a desktop, and I use my laptop maybe once or twice a month, if that.

I've always been a desktop fan (not literally of course!). I don't like laptops for the same reason I don't like Apple computers - they're not able to be upgraded.

For most people? Sure, maybe they don't upgrade, wouldn't want to if they could. I'm not "most people" though. My girlfriend, however, fits that category. She also has a desktop and a laptop and she never touches the desktop because she likes to use the laptop in the bed or on the couch. I can't stand not being in an office chair when I'm typing or perusing facebook or playing skyrim or whatever I'm doing at the time. It just feels uncomfortable to me to be lying down or slouched down in the couch or in the recliner. The "feel" is big for me. Not only do I get a bigger monitor (actually, two or three monitors) with a desktop, I get to move my keyboard and mouse around in a way that is comfortable to me.

My usual cycle is build new pc > wait 2 or so years > make upgrades as necessary (this time around I have a sufficient amount of RAM, video card needs replacing soon, especially with Diablo 3, the beta is showing me my video card's age) > wait another year or so, build new PC (usually I reuse the case at least once, sometimes I reuse the CD/DVD drives if they are in good working order).

Reliability is another factor for me. My past 2 laptops (prior to my current) both fell apart pretty quickly. The current one has some hinge issues and I just got it a few months ago.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Where has anyone said laptops aren't upgradeable?

Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Where has anyone said laptops aren't upgradeable?
Anything's upgradeable with a big enough hammer I guess :P

But to answer the question, most laptops these days are built with everything soldered to the mobo, save the RAM which is upgradeable unless you have a macbook (which might not be true, I just know they're going to the "unibody" style where everything is sealed up in a single-piece body)

Old 02-27-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
unless you have a macbook (which might not be true, I just know they're going to the "unibody" style where everything is sealed up in a single-piece body)
Don't know where you are getting your information from

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2010 Repair Manual - iFixit

Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Don't know where you are getting your information from

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2010 Repair Manual - iFixit
I don't, that's why I said "which might not be true" - There is a woman here that just bought one of these that I had to set up:

Definitely not easily accessible. This process seems extremely complicated just to swap a hard drive out of:

How To Take Apart an iMac (and Replace its Hard Drive) - Tested

(I know that's not a macbook, but this particular model iMac was the original meaning of my comment, I figured their "unibody" systems were similar to this on their laptops)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or