U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2012, 03:36 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 3,092,274 times
Reputation: 909

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Technically, sure. Realistically... no there isn't.

Linux? Still not ready for prime time.
Seriously doubt it ever will be.

Apple? Yea, I'd rather not have to use Bootcamp to boot Windows on my Mac so I can play BF3.

Am I missing anything?
Android's a contender now. And various flavors of Linux are definitely marketable, but retraining everyone to use a different O\S is cost-prohibitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 PM
 
Location: London, U.K.
3,036 posts, read 3,378,617 times
Reputation: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Technically, sure. Realistically... no there isn't.

Linux? Still not ready for prime time.
Seriously doubt it ever will be.

Apple? Yea, I'd rather not have to use Bootcamp to boot Windows on my Mac so I can play BF3.

Am I missing anything?
For mac: Wineskin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,228,741 times
Reputation: 4522
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotusa View Post
I AGREE 100%! (caps on purpose). Remember Windows ME?

However, the bootup and shut-down times are way faster.

Microsoft uses us as guinea pigs.
Every other MS release is a pig.

95: Good
98 First Edition: Bad
98SE: Good
ME: Bad
XP: Good
Vista: Bad (was improved after SP2 but it was too little too late)
7: Good
8: Will be a miracle if it isn't horrible.

The difference is now Microsoft has serious competition with Apple and Google. Before non-MS OS'es didn't have enough of a market share to make an impact so MS could get away with releasing a turd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 AM
 
9,198 posts, read 22,172,275 times
Reputation: 8551
Well I finally gave up on Windows 8 and went back to Windows 7. Microsoft blew it with this one - at least for traditional PCs. I can't imagine ever choosing to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,940 posts, read 8,307,443 times
Reputation: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Microsoft blew it with this one - at least for traditional PCs.


I tried it recently, and I have to say, I love it.




all of my most common tasks were right there on the tile interface. i didn't have to open any browser or launch a program to get the info i needed, it was just there.

as for finding programs, you slide up or right click on the screen, and you are presented with a list of every program on the computer.

its very much like windows phone, which is also awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Northeast NE
696 posts, read 1,519,405 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Well I finally gave up on Windows 8 and went back to Windows 7. Microsoft blew it with this one - at least for traditional PCs. I can't imagine ever choosing to use it.
Do you mind saying why you think so poorly of W8.

I see it as Windows 7 with a graphical interface for touch screens
and I like Windows 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 AM
 
3,614 posts, read 3,092,274 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe_T3K View Post
Do you mind saying why you think so poorly of W8.

I see it as Windows 7 with a graphical interface for touch screens
and I like Windows 7.
That's the point. Windows 8 is being designed for touch-screens, and not many desktop or laptop users have touchscreens in their computers. It'll be pushed and marketed to that crowd, and hell will break loose and demons shall rise from the earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
That's the point. Windows 8 is being designed for touch-screens, and not many desktop or laptop users have touchscreens in their computers. It'll be pushed and marketed to that crowd, and hell will break loose and demons shall rise from the earth.
Exactly. Even if my desktop and laptop LCDs were touch enabled, I wouldn't see any need to touch them. A mouse and keyboard is far more efficient and accurate than a finger at the end of an outstretched arm. A touchscreen is a something that only makes sense when the form factor makes a mouse and keyboard impractical. The biggest problem with touch interfaces is that no screen element can be smaller than your finger tip which turns it into a Fisher Price OS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 3,092,274 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Exactly. Even if my desktop and laptop LCDs were touch enabled, I wouldn't see any need to touch them. A mouse and keyboard is far more efficient and accurate than a finger at the end of an outstretched arm. A touchscreen is a something that only makes sense when the form factor makes a mouse and keyboard impractical. The biggest problem with touch interfaces is that no screen element can be smaller than your finger tip which turns it into a Fisher Price OS.
Woo! Microsoft Bob all over again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Woo! Microsoft Bob all over again!
At least Bob wasn't the OS. Honestly, I can see Win8 being a good tablet OS, just not on the desktop. I really wish they'd simply let users choose whether to use the new start screen or the traditional start menu. I know there's 3rd party software that can do it and there might be a registry hack or GP setting, but most people aren't going to seek those out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top