U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,563,052 times

Advertisements

I gotta say I love the metro look for tablets and cell phones but it kind of seems like it wouldn't work so well in a desktop environment.

Apple made the same mistake with OSX Lion trying to combine iOS with Mac OS. I almost never use the launchpad view to go through apps but at least apple doesn't boot up in launchpad mode. I know cycling through pages of full screen apps is a royal pain in the butt too when your trying to multitask. I tried it on Lion for a while and quickly realized that it was more trouble than it's worth and a full screen browser window on a 27" monitor is a little much anyway....

Both Apple and Microsoft need to realize that a desktop is not limited by a small screen size so why are they pushing these OS's on us that dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator. OSX Mountain Lion looks like they are going even more in the direction of iOS for desktops and laptops too.

We all know that it's only a matter of time before the Metro look for Windows and Launchpad look for OSX completely take over the OS and the old looks will be dropped completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I am pretty disappointed by this. I love Win7. I think MS really nailed it this time. It's pretty and rock solid.
And now they are just throwing it out. Really?
I am sad...

Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Does it say why ? What are the minimum requirements *supposed* to be ?
Nope, in cryptic MS fashion all I get is a pop-up window saying Not Supported.

What are the minimum specs to run the Windows 8 preview?

• 1.0GHz or faster processor
  • 1GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16GB available hard-disk space (32-bit) or 20GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics
  • 1,024x768 minimum native screen resolution (1,366x768 for the Snap functionality)

Old 03-03-2012, 05:34 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,223,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I gotta say I love the metro look for tablets and cell phones but it kind of seems like it wouldn't work so well in a desktop environment.

Apple made the same mistake with OSX Lion trying to combine iOS with Mac OS. I almost never use the launchpad view to go through apps but at least apple doesn't boot up in launchpad mode. I know cycling through pages of full screen apps is a royal pain in the butt too when your trying to multitask. I tried it on Lion for a while and quickly realized that it was more trouble than it's worth and a full screen browser window on a 27" monitor is a little much anyway....

Both Apple and Microsoft need to realize that a desktop is not limited by a small screen size so why are they pushing these OS's on us that dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator. OSX Mountain Lion looks like they are going even more in the direction of iOS for desktops and laptops too.

We all know that it's only a matter of time before the Metro look for Windows and Launchpad look for OSX completely take over the OS and the old looks will be dropped completely.
The ultimate goal of the computer industry is to phase out the conventional PC and move everyone to smart devices like tablets. For the average consumer, the iPad is hot and the desktop PC is not. Apple and Microsoft however both fail to realize that there is still a market for the traditional PC among power users and businesses and that will never go away. It will be interesting to see what happens after Windows XP expires in 2014. Most business users and power users detest Vista and 7, and 8 sounds like its a huge hassle to use on a traditional PC.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:40 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,328,156 times
I don't think a tablet is hot, - I don't even think I need a tablet. I'd rather do computing on a desktop and laptop. I don't want an OS built for tablets to run on my desktop or laptop. If W8 is really like that maybe it'll be the next Vista, but I didn't think Vista was bad.

I don't have much use for a tablet except for ebooks and photos, which I'd rather see on a computer. I don't even bother with those tiny screen Nook and Kindle readers, - I read these books on the PC reader versions.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:47 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I don't think a tablet is hot, - I don't even think I need a tablet. I'd rather do computing on a desktop and laptop. I don't want an OS built for tablets to run on my desktop or laptop. If W8 is really like that maybe it'll be the next Vista, but I didn't think Vista was bad.

I don't have much use for a tablet except for ebooks and photos, which I'd rather see on a computer. I don't even bother with those tiny screen Nook and Kindle readers, - I read these books on the PC reader versions.
A desktop and laptop gives you the most freedom with what you can do and what kind of experience you can have. However, they have one major limitation. You can't take them everywhere you go.

Everyone is saying that Microsoft is targeting the tablets with their Metro interface. I actually think Metro would be most beneficial on large screens. Imagine if whiteboards in schools were replaces with gigantic touch screens where the professor can use a digitizer pen instead of a markers, while at the same time, pull up a video on another part of the screen. These would be incredible learning tools.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,235,696 times
Quote:

Agree with your thoughts.
Might I add the Consumer preview is cumbersome and clumsy for a desk top environment.

Tablets , smartphones are great devices and good for viewing the net and socializing but doing work????

MS is wanting to mix everything under one area and in reality this will back fire in an unimaginable way.

The consumer view is going to be deleted form my pc after this week.
It is fun to try out .

Honestly it really reminds me of a cluttered home where you cant find everything. You know its there but you have to look around and find it and it takes extra steps to find things.

This is a huge mistake by MS and the only way in my eyes to salvage is to offer this as a pure tablet and touch screen , phone OS hope they do not finalize this as their end all for home and business computing.

what a drastic error .

To be fair to Microsoft I do like some of the features but all in all windows 7 is superior for a desktop environment.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,235,696 times
Quote:
Thanks for the links... I might test Win 8 out. It seems I might not like it though and I have a copy of Win 7 Prof 64 bit for a future build.
Do it but make sure you have your windows 7 discs.
You will go back

Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The ultimate goal of the computer industry is to phase out the conventional PC and move everyone to smart devices like tablets.
Disagree. No computer company wants to just make tablets. They are fighting to remain relevant in the PC market.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Do it but make sure you have your windows 7 discs.
You will go back
Or do what I did. Install VM Player on your machine.
VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC
And install Windows 8 into that. In layman's terms it creates a walled garden on your computer that allows you to run another computer inside it. Install Windows 8 inside that and you can remove it with a few simple clicks.

I don't hate it yet. Don't love it either. But it certainly seems very tablet and touch oriented. It would make a great tablet. No so sure about a PC though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or