U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,384,812 times

Advertisements

Here, I think is the bottom line.

With Windows 8, the lazy or uninspired user will disregard the capacity to use the power of the computer as a tool, and just use it as a toy. The available infrastructure for the working computer will atrophy from limited demand.

Without Windows 8, the lazy or uninspired user was inclined to disregard the fun and social potential of the computer as a toy, and limited his use to the innate power of the tool, remaining content to live without the toy features.

Pretty clearly, the profit potential lies in the former, and we lie in the path of the juggernaut of Windows 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:42 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,652,520 times
Have it installed and all I can say is ewwwwwwww...

Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
From a PC Mag email:

A lot of people say the new Windows 8 start screen is just plain ugly. Joel Hruska doesn't think that is right. "Calling the ... [Photo of the windows 8 start screen] 'ugly' isn't fair. It's not ugly. It's what happens when Ugly and Stupid get drunk and make a baby inside Fukushima's minimum safety perimeter."

Old 03-05-2012, 03:43 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here, I think is the bottom line.

With Windows 8, the lazy or uninspired user will disregard the capacity to use the power of the computer as a tool, and just use it as a toy. The available infrastructure for the working computer will atrophy from limited demand.
I don't think that's true. Someone looking to replace a computer that they use a lot is not suddenly going to stop doing things they did before because the interface has changed. Everything is still there: it's just been Metroified...

Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Going to try this out the way it was meant to be tried out. Just so happens I ordered a Dell Vostro One PC for my receptionist. With the added touchscreen.
Arrived today.
Let's try the Preview on it, shall we?

Old 03-06-2012, 02:11 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,236,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Or do what I did. Install VM Player on your machine.
VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC
And install Windows 8 into that. In layman's terms it creates a walled garden on your computer that allows you to run another computer inside it. Install Windows 8 inside that and you can remove it with a few simple clicks.

I don't hate it yet. Don't love it either. But it certainly seems very tablet and touch oriented. It would make a great tablet. No so sure about a PC though.
No doubt it would make a nice tablet.
about a month ago i bought a new laptop and it came with a free mouse from microsoft - the mouse was odd as you could scroll side by side ..

hind sight tells me microsoft was getting rid of the mice for the new windows 8 platform..

there are some nice features to it and it is not bad. it just seems to be a notch down from 7
7 is clean and crisp where 8 is fuzzy and cumbersome. just not put well together. (at least for a desktop platform)
I still have it installed and if i had known about the virtual pc , I would have done that.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
From a PC Mag email:

A lot of people say the new Windows 8 start screen is just plain ugly. Joel Hruska doesn't think that is right. "Calling the ... [Photo of the windows 8 start screen] 'ugly' isn't fair. It's not ugly. It's what happens when Ugly and Stupid get drunk and make a baby inside Fukushima's minimum safety perimeter."
LOL it's ugly alright... very very ugly.....
call me stupid but i like little clock on my pc with the date and such.
never realized how much i used the clock... they even did away with the stupid clock
8 will flop

Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,652,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Going to try this out the way it was meant to be tried out. Just so happens I ordered a Dell Vostro One PC for my receptionist. With the added touchscreen.
Arrived today.
Let's try the Preview on it, shall we?
Yup, and let us know what you think....

Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
I would really like to try it on my laptop, but I don't have the time to recreate my environment for work. I'll probably install it on a desktop next week during vacation. My desktop doesn't have a multitouch screen like my laptop unfortunately.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 AM

I would be curious to your thoughts in a work environment.

Sure the final version will be better than what is out there right now.

Just thinking aloud this new version is clumsy . even turning the machine off takes a few extra steps.

I am sure I can create a shortcut to do this but why ??? Here it is the year 2012 and I have to manually create a short cut to shutdown

Maybe it is me and i am just missing the obvious.

Case in hand here i am this morning on my laptop because my desktop would not connect to the net this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or