U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:01 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I think your weather app isn't working correctly in that screen shot, it's never sunny in cleveland.
Hey now! The part we can't get over is the high of 70 today.
I never did believe in that Mayan end of the world crap, but we've had less then 10 inches of snow this year and haven't hit teens for temps.
Add to that and Snookie from Jersey Snore is having a baby around 12/21??? End times, my friend...

Quote:
Thinking larger picture, how will all this metro stuff play with current group policy settings?
I would think ok because I think Metro is just more of an app, but now that you mention it I notice it hasn't applied my IE Home Page settings yet. hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Which makes me think I should stand up for one Metro app: Weather. This is far and away the coolest weather app I have ever seen.

Swipe to the right and instant access to 7 different animated radars.
Swipe again and you get the historic charts, Very cool.

Check that second screen shot. We get sunny days.

Although another issue with this touch screen PC... I thought if the mouse hits the right edge, it should scroll? This doesn't with the mouse. You must flick.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 8 Consumer Preview Released-imag0325.jpg   Windows 8 Consumer Preview Released-imag0328.jpg  

Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,228,741 times
Why is it that Microsoft (and Apple) think people want to make their expensive, fully functional desktop PCs act like phones and tablets?

The ONLY way Windows 8 will catch on is if its possible to disable Metro. If the final version of Windows 8 is anything like the Consumer Preview, its a total DOWNGRADE from Windows 7 for anybody with a real computer.

Its a great idea for tablets though, but Microsoft also needs to think about business users and power users who are still clinging to XP with a death grip.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Installed it in a virtual machine today and played around for a bit. I'll say I don't hate it as vehemently as most do, but I'm not a fan either.

The switching between the new UI and Win7 interface does not bother me. I'm sure with some time spent pinning stuff to the taskbar and creating shortcuts, I could avoid the new start menu for the most part.

I haven't found a way to collapse stuff in the start menu. Install a program that creates multiple icons (say an icon for the program, uninstall, and 1 or 2 others, those all show up. No way to collapse them. This will make the new UI very cluttered in time.

No buttons in the traditional win7 view. You have to put the mouse in the general area and wait for the menu to popup. If there's other icons in the area (say on the bottom right of the taksbar) goodluck finding the sweet spot.

I do like the new task manager.

In the end, microsoft needs to decide if they want this to be a tablet OS or a desktop OS. Trying to make it a hybrid just isn't going to work. Your average user might get by with this, but power users will not. They need to let the user decide which interface they want to use.

If microsoft wants a tablet like interface, they'd probably be better off following something gnome 3 for linux. Thats at least more usuable.

I say lets forget this pretty interfaces and all go back to the command line.
Does the touchscreen functionality work through virtual machine? If so, I might go that route to test it. Otherwise, I see very little value in testing Windows 8 in that manner since it's all about the touchscreen.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I don't know why they don't just put their phone OS on tablets and leave the real Windows for real computers. They could have done that a year ago.
Because a tablet (and phone's) biggest drawback is that it sucks at productivity software. They want to bring all the versatility of Windows desktop software to tablets. I think it's a smart move.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,238,598 times
Well I finally stopped the end of the experiment today.

No longer is the UI on my desktop, back to WIN 7.

The whole experience was not clean I gave it several days and saw some things I liked and some nice ideas they came out with.

Number one complaint is the extra steps to do simple mundane tasks.

It's my opinion you should not have to do more mundane tasks when the rest of technology is advancing. It just does not flow.

At the end of the day I think MS will only allow this on tablets and touch screen computers.

Just find it hard to believe a company as savy as MS will put up with so many unhappy users.

Glad I was able to test drive and happy to have 7 back.
I guess if I ever purchase a MS tablet I would use the Metro.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Because a tablet (and phone's) biggest drawback is that it sucks at productivity software. They want to bring all the versatility of Windows desktop software to tablets. I think it's a smart move.
But Windows on a tablet still has all the limitations of a tablet. Its like you can remote control a PC from an iPad, but you're still trying to do desktop things on a tablet. A desktop/laptop is fundamentally different than a phone or tablet. Unless you're one of those people that adds a thick case and keyboard to their tablet when they really should have just bought a laptop.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
But Windows on a tablet still has all the limitations of a tablet. Its like you can remote control a PC from an iPad, but you're still trying to do desktop things on a tablet. A desktop/laptop is fundamentally different than a phone or tablet. Unless you're one of those people that adds a thick case and keyboard to their tablet when they really should have just bought a laptop.
There are many tablets with keyboards. My tablet has a built in keyboard ans runs Windows 7 and Android. I use it like a laptop when I need to and like a tablet when I want to. I don't see any reason as to what a laptop would bring to the table.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There are many tablets with keyboards. My tablet has a built in keyboard ans runs Windows 7 and Android. I use it like a laptop when I need to and like a tablet when I want to. I don't see any reason as to what a laptop would bring to the table.
Your "tablet" is a laptop. It just happens to have a touch screen than can flip around and hide the keyboard.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Your "tablet" is a laptop. It just happens to have a touch screen than can flip around and hide the keyboard.
While it's basically a laptop that converts to a tablet... it's categorized as a tablet of convertible tablet type. While I haven't tried Windows 8, I do see the upside of the metro interface on my tablet with the ability to maintain my entire PC environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or