U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times

Advertisements

But I think MS's ultimate goal here is to eventually get rid of the "Desktop".
Once Adobe makes "Metro Photoshop" and Microsoft make "Metro Office 2013" and whoever makes CAD "Metro AutoCAD" the "Desktop" will become a distant memory.

I do believe they should have left Metro out of this or just included it as an optional app. As I demonstrated in my testing here, it's VERY easy to pretty much bypass Metro. You turn it into a pretty launcher to Windows basically.
As Metro apps come out this may change but right now there are less then 500 that I can see in the "Store".

There has to be a better business option too. As it stands now they try very hard to get you to sign up for a MS Email address. I don't want all my employees to have to do this. I get Google doing it on my PHONE. or Apple. or MS. It makes the whole experience more seamless.
I don't want or like Microsoft forcing it on me for my WORK PC. That's just BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,657,958 times
Some Win 8 news:

Quote:
"By reinventing the Start Menu in Windows 8, Microsoft has caused some resistance to the new Start Screen. For those longing for the classic way of doing things, Stardock comes to rescue. The Start8 is a piece of software which replicates the functionality of the button and menu found in previous versions of Windows. Supported is starting applications, the Run and Shutdown features, and search."
For Windows 8 Users, Stardock Revives the Start Menu - Slashdot

Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Experiment here is over. The AVG Anti-Virus Enterprise software will not run on 8.
Back to 7.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:22 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,657,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Experiment here is over. The AVG Anti-Virus Enterprise software will not run on 8.
Back to 7.
I'm surprised you'd deploy a development release in a production environment...

Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,331,901 times
I tried downloading the ISO twice and at 3.3gb it says download "Interrupted," - when I never did a thing. I think MS is now trying to prevent people from getting the beta. I had to resort to torrenting it and then I found lotsa people torrenting Mass Effect 3 when I searched for the Win 8 torrent.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 PM

471 posts, read 1,376,271 times
Quote:
WHat I do not get is why people are SO damn afraid to use the Power Button to shut the laptop/computer off.
Honestly, this is the first time I've heard of this issue. Since Day One of owning a desktop PC (1998) I've always used the power button - but not the heavy duty mechanical switch on the back! - because it's just easier: I reach over & down with my arm (2-3 feet I guess) and tap it. Same with this Dell laptop except now it's just a 10" movement of my arm. What do people think is going to happen when they use the power button?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,407,931 times
Quote:
I don't think that's true. Someone looking to replace a computer that they use a lot is not suddenly going to stop doing things they did before because the interface has changed. Everything is still there: it's just been Metroified...
That's true as long as exactly the same individuals continue indefinitely to constitute the computer users. But every year five million new people start to use the computer, and a few million drop off the other end, so in five years, there will be 25 million users who never knew what it was like to use a computer that encouraged and facilitated using it as an internet access tool.

My point was that this will over a decade or so, have the effect of making it unprofitable for the software industry to continue to develop internet access computing that has proven to be such a valuable resource for our generation.

Even more frightening, is the looming prospect that internet censorship will leave the masses saying "So what, who cares, I just want the toy?" A steeply limited internet will just be an expendable app in a forest of fun apps, and won't be missed by Windows 8 users, who will accept its demise without a whimper.

Which cycles back around to my premise---this is what computer makers expect or are willing to accept because they have created device to access a new market.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Honestly, this is the first time I've heard of this issue. Since Day One of owning a desktop PC (1998) I've always used the power button - but not the heavy duty mechanical switch on the back! - because it's just easier: I reach over & down with my arm (2-3 feet I guess) and tap it. Same with this Dell laptop except now it's just a 10" movement of my arm. What do people think is going to happen when they use the power button?
In the old days, simply turning off a PC with the power button without preparation was a bad idea. For one, the power switch on the front was an actual power switch. Flip the switch and the machine lost power. With the original PCs, we were told to park the hard drive before turning it off, especially if we planned on moving it.

By the time hard drives became auto-parking, Windows had arrived. Turning off the computer while Windows was running was a good way to corrupt files. Now the "power button" is more of a graceful shutdown button (unless held down for several seconds) but people's habits persist.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 PM

471 posts, read 1,376,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
In the old days, simply turning off a PC with the power button without preparation was a bad idea. For one, the power switch on the front was an actual power switch. Flip the switch and the machine lost power. With the original PCs, we were told to park the hard drive before turning it off, especially if we planned on moving it.

By the time hard drives became auto-parking, Windows had arrived. Turning off the computer while Windows was running was a good way to corrupt files. Now the "power button" is more of a graceful shutdown button (unless held down for several seconds) but people's habits persist.
O.K. I see - this was an issue WAY back ("park the hardrive"? ). Though maybe I should have written "shutdown" button rather than "power button", the latter, to me, being the mechanical switch hidden on the back I referred to above.

Touchscreens on large screens - admittedly this was a short time, but I spent 20 minutes last year playing around with a 22" (I think) HP all-in-one with a touchscreen and was glad when I stopped. Twenty minutes was only irritating, but I cannot imagine an hour moving my entire arm around surfing the net or doing actual work i.e. keeping a tube of Bengay nearby might be a good idea.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:23 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Touchscreens on large screens - admittedly this was a short time, but I spent 20 minutes last year playing around with a 22" (I think) HP all-in-one with a touchscreen and was glad when I stopped. Twenty minutes was only irritating, but I cannot imagine an hour moving my entire arm around surfing the net or doing actual work i.e. keeping a tube of Bengay nearby might be a good idea.
And just imagine having to constantly keep that thing clean of finger grease. I use a touch screen phone but the two biggest limitations I see with the whole idea are:

1) No screen element (button, link, etc) can be smaller than your finger tip or interacting with it becomes a pain. A mouse pointer is much smaller and more precise than my finger tip. So if you have a huge touch screen, everything has be be scaled up to Fisher Price size which cancels out the benefit of a large high resolution screen used with a mouse.

2) With a mouse, you can usually hover over something to see what it does without actually committing to its action. Icons aren't always obvious. Being able to get hints by mousing over things makes it much easier to figure out programs. Can't figure out that that icon on the touch screen is supposed to do? Touch it and hope it doesn't do something you didn't want to do. This also goes for mousing over links to see the URL before clicking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or