U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 01:42 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
O.K. I see - this was an issue WAY back ("park the hardrive"? ). Though maybe I should have written "shutdown" button rather than "power button", the latter, to me, being the mechanical switch hidden on the back I referred to above.

Touchscreens on large screens - admittedly this was a short time, but I spent 20 minutes last year playing around with a 22" (I think) HP all-in-one with a touchscreen and was glad when I stopped. Twenty minutes was only irritating, but I cannot imagine an hour moving my entire arm around surfing the net or doing actual work i.e. keeping a tube of Bengay nearby might be a good idea.
The current power buttons are call soft buttons. They trigger a command that is handled by software. Before soft-buttons, to turn off the computer properly, you had to shut down windows before hitting the power button. Windows 95 and later literally showed the message "It is now safe to turn of your computer" or something similar. Imagine how annoying it was to wait for that message before walking away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'm surprised you'd deploy a development release in a production environment...
I'm cutting edge, baby.
Seriously if this was for any other workstation other then the Front Desk Reception computer I would not roll it out. It is the least heavily used PC in the office. Pretty much just needs Outlook and Word. Period. (And Word only for opening docs, not even creating them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And just imagine having to constantly keep that thing clean of finger grease. I use a touch screen phone but the two biggest limitations I see with the whole idea are:

1) No screen element (button, link, etc) can be smaller than your finger tip or interacting with it becomes a pain. A mouse pointer is much smaller and more precise than my finger tip. So if you have a huge touch screen, everything has be be scaled up to Fisher Price size which cancels out the benefit of a large high resolution screen used with a mouse.
There are some tools in Win7 that make it real easy to use your finger. I was surprised actually. It's pretty easy... although I did increase the resolution, not for touch, but mainly because our receptionist is an older woman that likes the lower res anyway.
You can also use a stylus with it.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
And just imagine having to constantly keep that thing clean of finger grease. I use a touch screen phone but the two biggest limitations I see with the whole idea are:
I know what you mean. My phone needs a cleaning every now and then. For whatever reason, it's not a problem with my tablet. I just inspected it and while there are a few smudges that can only be seen when it's off, there's not much grease.
Quote:

1) No screen element (button, link, etc) can be smaller than your finger tip or interacting with it becomes a pain. A mouse pointer is much smaller and more precise than my finger tip. So if you have a huge touch screen, everything has be be scaled up to Fisher Price size which cancels out the benefit of a large high resolution screen used with a mouse.

2) With a mouse, you can usually hover over something to see what it does without actually committing to its action. Icons aren't always obvious. Being able to get hints by mousing over things makes it much easier to figure out programs. Can't figure out that that icon on the touch screen is supposed to do? Touch it and hope it doesn't do something you didn't want to do. This also goes for mousing over links to see the URL before clicking.
You still have a mouse that you can use to hover when necessary.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM

9,198 posts, read 22,163,309 times
I installed the Windows 8 preview last weekend on my Dell laptop. Had tried it earlier but the install failed. After a few days I tried again and had success.

Unlike my initial experience with Windows 7, I'm underwhelmed. I just don't see anything that's better, slicker, or easier. It's just clunkier and harder to navigate around. Some of my PC features don't work (e.g., fingerprint reader). My network multi-function printer disappeared - and reinstalling it turned out to be a huge pain in the rear, and it's still not at 100% functionality.

I don't care for the Metro interface and apps. First, it assumes you use a lot of Microsoft services. Second, on a shared PC each user would have to keep logging in and out - something we don't do for what is a shared family laptop that is always running and everyone grabs when needed.

Utlimately, for me and my uses this just seems like a hobbled version of Windows 7.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I installed the Windows 8 preview last weekend on my Dell laptop. Had tried it earlier but the install failed. After a few days I tried again and had success.

Unlike my initial experience with Windows 7, I'm underwhelmed. I just don't see anything that's better, slicker, or easier. It's just clunkier and harder to navigate around. Some of my PC features don't work (e.g., fingerprint reader). My network multi-function printer disappeared - and reinstalling it turned out to be a huge pain in the rear, and it's still not at 100% functionality.

I don't care for the Metro interface and apps. First, it assumes you use a lot of Microsoft services. Second, on a shared PC each user would have to keep logging in and out - something we don't do for what is a shared family laptop that is always running and everyone grabs when needed.

Utlimately, for me and my uses this just seems like a hobbled version of Windows 7.
You really can't hold Microsoft for the fingerprint and printer issues. Just install the Windows 8 versions of the drivers.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 AM

9,198 posts, read 22,163,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You really can't hold Microsoft for the fingerprint and printer issues. Just install the Windows 8 versions of the drivers.
There aren't a lot of Windows 8 drivers out there yet. I did grab a beta driver for my discete ATI video - without which the Metro interface did not work.

HP was slow enough on releasing updated Windows 7 printer drivers (months after general release of Windows 7). I don't have much hope for Windows 8.

Dell is notorious for rarely updating anything. The system you buy is the system you get. Finding integrated webcam or fingerprint reader drivers/apps for reinstallation or upgrade is extremely difficult.

A question though - shouldn't most Windows 7 drivers work under Windows 8?

Old 03-16-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
There aren't a lot of Windows 8 drivers out there yet. I did grab a beta driver for my discete ATI video - without which the Metro interface did not work.

HP was slow enough on releasing updated Windows 7 printer drivers (months after general release of Windows 7). I don't have much hope for Windows 8.

Dell is notorious for rarely updating anything. The system you buy is the system you get. Finding integrated webcam or fingerprint reader drivers/apps for reinstallation or upgrade is extremely difficult.

A question though - shouldn't most Windows 7 drivers work under Windows 8?
My guess would be yes, but you never know.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:04 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,967 times
Installed Win8 on a VM a few days ago, and I'm absolutely shocked they dumbed this down so far.

I think my thoughts are echoed on this thread--the Metro UI is great for touch interfaces, but is woefully under-equipped for handing mouse\keyboard interfaces. I've been using it off and on for a couple hours a day, and it's remarkably frustrating not having any control over the running applications.

Actually, that's probably the only thing I've noticed so far that I really like--the new Task Manager. It's got a funkier UI now.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Installed Win8 on a VM a few days ago, and I'm absolutely shocked they dumbed this down so far.

I think my thoughts are echoed on this thread--the Metro UI is great for touch interfaces, but is woefully under-equipped for handing mouse\keyboard interfaces. I've been using it off and on for a couple hours a day, and it's remarkably frustrating not having any control over the running applications.

Actually, that's probably the only thing I've noticed so far that I really like--the new Task Manager. It's got a funkier UI now.
Does the touch capability work through VM? It would be easier to install on VM than reformat my laptop. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Does the touch capability work through VM? It would be easier to install on VM than reformat my laptop. Thanks.
I don't have a touch-screen, so I have no idea. What hardware are you using? You might be better served by asking your host's developer. I use Oracle's VirtualBox.

But really, it takes only a few minutes to install Win8 on VirtualBox anyway, so you can always try it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or