Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:48 AM

16,641 posts, read 15,592,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I suggest spybot search and destroy. I disable the teatimer when I install though because it slows things down tremendously if you let it run the teatimer automatically

The home of Spybot-S&D!

and/or superantivirus.

SuperAntiSpyware - Download

I have used malwarebytes, but find that superantivirus catches more.

Both are free (they do ask for donations).

A single antivirus program just does not catch everything. It pays to run other scans manually from time to time.

I also suggest a registry cleaner like this one: Free Window Registry Repair Updte

Make sure you have it set up a restore point before you clean the registry though. It's fast and catches a lot of errors.
This is just plain wrong. It is also dangerous to leave this post without a disclaimer.

NEVER RUN TWO ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAMS.

The regulars on this forum generally recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) most often for a good free anti-virus program.

For malware cleaning, Malwarebytes anti-malware free edition seems to be the most popular with SuperAntiSpyware close behind. Spybot is not recommended very often any longer, and Ad-Aware is almost unheard of.

Most users are cautioned against running registry cleaners unless there is a good reason to recommend one. When it is needed, CCleaner is recommended most often. When posters ask for a registry cleaner, regulars seems to reply most often with a question asking why you think you need one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:04 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,655,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This is just plain wrong. It is also dangerous to leave this post without a disclaimer.

NEVER RUN TWO ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAMS.

The regulars on this forum generally recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) most often for a good free anti-virus program.

For malware cleaning, Malwarebytes anti-malware free edition seems to be the most popular with SuperAntiSpyware close behind. Spybot is not recommended very often any longer, and Ad-Aware is almost unheard of.

Most users are cautioned against running registry cleaners unless there is a good reason to recommend one. When it is needed, CCleaner is recommended most often. When posters ask for a registry cleaner, regulars seems to reply most often with a question asking why you think you need one.
Agree with this. Adaware is crap now. Spybod S&D use to be good but
its only average now. In fact MSE does its job real well and i hardly ever to use any type of anti spyware.

Last edited by skel1977; 03-02-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 10:07 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,034,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Never heard of CA security but from looking at the reviews its pretty poor. If you were using something like MSE you probably would never have gotten this bug in the first place.
This is thru my internet provider which is Insight, and is free. It really does a good job as well as insight providing me with excellent services.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,034,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I suggest spybot search and destroy. I disable the teatimer when I install though because it slows things down tremendously if you let it run the teatimer automatically

The home of Spybot-S&D!

and/or superantivirus.

SuperAntiSpyware - Download

I have used malwarebytes, but find that superantivirus catches more.

Both are free (they do ask for donations).

A single antivirus program just does not catch everything. It pays to run other scans manually from time to time.

I also suggest a registry cleaner like this one: Free Window Registry Repair Updte

Make sure you have it set up a restore point before you clean the registry though. It's fast and catches a lot of errors.
I've never heard of any of the spybot or windows repair. Insight really has a good program for catching stuff and I've never had a problem until I mentioned what happened. Maybe it was something on Facebook and that is where it occurred.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,179,170 times
Those words are just references to the dom of the page markup, it is possible you hit some weirdness with facebook where something happened with their html/css/script that messed things up and showed some stuff as literals instead of being displayed in the browser.

Still good to do your diligence for threats, but I don't think you need to completely freak out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers